Home

Top Five Games of 2008

TiE23

Was listening to the PlayerOnePodcast the other day on my lunch break when they came to their five favorite games of 2008. So guys, what was it? Limit them to actually being released in 2008, not games that you played a lot in 2008, har.

th_FarCry2Box.jpg

Five: Far Cry 2

Dammit, the first few hours of the game was a damn pain in the ass. Complaining how easy it was to take the wrong turn, run into a tree, get attacked for "the fifth ****ing damn time in five ****ing minutes". But after slogging through that and getting some diamonds and buying some better weapons the tides turned from being "how can I best survive this?" to "how can I screw these guys over the most?"

Finding a nice patch of grass, under a tree. You pull out your map and monocular, look at the poor bastards, find a good explosive barrel that lies next to a jeep, in some dry grass. Take out my Springfield Rifle, wait for a guy to walk by the barrel. Bang! Boom! He's gone. Swing up to nail the sniper on the roof, then proceed to pick off the rest who can't spot your camouflaged form from 1500 feet away.

th_DeadSpaceBox.jpg

Four: Dead Space

Resident Evil 4 in space. It's intense. Fun. Scary. At some times a white knuckle adventure, and it doesn't overstay it's welcome, ending satisfyingly after around 12-15 hours. I learned to love the Force Gun and it's secondary fire.

Most intense moments involved an particular type of enemy that only appeared twice in the game. You first performing a Rush Hour type of moving block puzzle to move through a section. You then reach an objective to then be ambused by this special enemy. So you're forced to run away, trying your fastest to solve the block moving puzzle in reverse, to block him off and escape. I swear, most intense moment since playing against Colossus Eleven.

th_BanjoKazooieBox.jpg

Three: Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts

This game may have gotten pretty much panned for not being a Banjo-Kazooie 3, but dammit, I'm enjoying the hell out of it. I'm the kind of guy who likes building stuff. I played a lot of Garry's Mod building cars and stuff, and this game is a continuation of that idea. It's weird hearing people complain about the game because they hate having to design their own vehicles and stuff, always relying on pre-built vehicles. But I find that to be the most fun. Hell, I'll spend 5-10 minutes building and testing a vehicle just to complete a challenge in 1-3 minutes. I'm a guy who goes after every TT Trophy. Right now I've got about 70 Jiggies, spent around 12 hours so far. I'd give this game a solid 9. It has many flaws, but I just have way too much fun exploiting the game's tools.

The other day I made some ridiculous vehicles. One was a cargo helicopter that looked a lot like a firefighting helicopter with a sticky ball - I ball on a chain that you can shoot out and drag anything around. I also made a large monster truck that with the press of two buttons would launch out a mall glider out the front. I also made a racecar/airplane for when I want to fly over other racers rather than actually drive around them. An armored personnel carrier. A monstrous airplane of massive power that includes a self-destruct feature. And a stupid 19-wheeled motorcycle.

th_GTA4Box.jpg

Two: Grand Theft Auto IV

One of the most complete games ever made. It's huge. Includes countless features and is so full of content and elements that go under the hood that I can't help but love it. It's a technical feat with massive cities, amazing physics, the best ragdoll in game history, and some of the most dynamic car damage modeling of any game this side of Burnout Paradise. Also, Little Jacob and Brucie are just too awesome. Hilarious that at first I had to turn on subtitles just to understand what the hell Little Jacob was saying, but by the end of the game I could understand him near perfectly.

Finding out how much blood you can get on your car. Barely knocking into people just to watch the Euphoria system work. Banging a taxi driver's car with a baseball bat just to cap him when he comes to fight you. Going crazy fast on a motor cycle to get the biggest air, with or without your motorcycle. Escaping from the cops completely on foot, and actually getting away.

th_RockBand2Box.jpg

One: Rock Band 2

Dammit, I just love this game too much. It pretty much goes with anyone who plays expert. If you show me a person who can play expert guitar/drums on Rock Band, you're showing me a huge fan of the game. Only problems with it were the lack of the old career mode and an increase of songs I didn't like at all over Rock Band 1. Other than that, it freaking rocked.

Beating

on Guitar and Bass. Overcoming Caprici di Diablo's evil. Nailing the first solo in Prequel to the Sequel. Getting in the zone nailing the chord changes in Down with the Sickness. Some how FCing the impossible fast-picking chord slide in Bodhisattva.

How about you folks? Don't need to post box shots and descriptions. A list and a sentence or two if you can.

I know we had a favorites of 2008 thread, but yeah, this is five things and all games. So there...

Fallout 3 is my game of the year for 2008, of course I got it for a proper platform :p.

513EziE6s9L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Honourable mention goes to Sins of a Solar Empire for showing that a game can get good sales without DRM (and therefore implying, despite what EA say, that piracy does not cause poor sales, poor games cause poor sales).

51IECBNOHeL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Oh, and I know I shouldn't mention this as it missed out on 2008 by a few months, but my most played game of the year would be Team Fortress 2. Even my many hours on Fallout 3 don't come close to the amount of time I spent on TF2.

Don't get a PS3.

Also @TiE: GTA4 doesn't have the best ragdoll physics in game history. GTA4 doesn't even use ragdoll, which is why it looks so good. :xp:

I'll probably compile a list in a little bit. My computer decided that it wanted to completely reformat my E drive without telling me. So I'm having a fun day.

th_GTA4Box.jpg

Two: Grand Theft Auto IV

One of the most complete games ever made. It's huge. Includes countless features and is so full of content and elements that go under the hood that I can't help but love it. It's a technical feat with massive cities, amazing physics, the best ragdoll in game history, and some of the most dynamic car damage modeling of any game this side of Burnout Paradise. Also, Little Jacob and Brucie are just too awesome. Hilarious that at first I had to turn on subtitles just to understand what the hell Little Jacob was saying, but by the end of the game I could understand him near perfectly.

Finding out how much blood you can get on your car. Barely knocking into people just to watch the Euphoria system work. Banging a taxi driver's car with a baseball bat just to cap him when he comes to fight you. Going crazy fast on a motor cycle to get the biggest air, with or without your motorcycle. Escaping from the cops completely on foot, and actually getting away.

i literally just finished this, it was one of the best games i've played recently, but i would never praise it for having a ton of content since san andreas had a larger map, a greater diversity of vehicles, weapons, and locations, and more in the way of player and car customization. imo it's the gta 3 of this console generation and more an introduction of new technologies and concepts to the series.

tl;dr I WANT MY GODDAMN AIRFIELD BACK

I liked San Andreas...

Haven't played GTA4 though... Heard that it requires a Quad Core for PCs. So I'm not going to bother buying a game I can't play...

I am interested in Fallout 3 though. Seems VERY good!

it'd be a miracle to get it running on a single core cpu but i have a core 2 duo with an 8800 gts 512 and it runs at 1920x1200 with almost all options maxed fine. and fallout 3 is ****ing awesome.

it'd be a miracle to get it running on a single core cpu but i have a core 2 duo with an 8800 gts 512 and it runs at 1920x1200 with almost all options maxed fine. and fallout 3 is ****ing awesome.

I wonder how will it run here...

I have a Core 2 Duo E8500 stock with an HD4850 512mb and 4gb of DDR2 1100.

BUT, I'm on Vista.

Think I could run on 1650x1080?

I didn't get to play a ton of 2008 games this year but here is my top 5.

5. Mirror's Edge

I can't say I've played this extensively but from what I have gotten to play, I find it very fun and I absolutely love the art style. Definitely the prettiest game of 2008 for me (though PoP is a very close second).

4. Prince of Persia

Another one where I love the graphics, which is what originally got me interested in the game. A lot of people give this game a hard time for being too easy because you can't die, but I actually think it adds to the game and makes it a lot less frustrating.

3. Mass Effect

Another brilliant outing from BioWare, not much went wrong with this game, from the dialog and story being stellar to the combat being very fun especially for an RPG. Definitely looking forward to future installments in this series.

2. Castlevania Order of Ecclesia

To be honest this might be one of the hardest games I have ever played, and it can get quite frustrating after a while but that is the only negative I have to say about it. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is one of my favorite games of all time and this game is done in a similar vein, with familiar enemies, items, and overall gameplay. Also a very pretty game for a DS title. I'd say one of the best games the DS has to offer.

1. Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Definitely the game (besides WoW :p) that I have put the most hours into in '08, this game really delivers. I would say the best local multiplayer game available, though unfortunately the same can't be said about the online mode as Nintendo really dropped the ball here. But aside from that, the game is brilliant with as many characters to choose from as one could hope for and graphics that push the Wii's capabilities with classic gameplay that everyone loves.

I haven't played a lot of games form this year (more specifically, not a lot of games in general), but I've got a good list so far.

5. Wii Music

I initially wasn't looking forward to this game at all, but it definitely surprised me. The wide selection of instruments is satisfying, along with the feature remix and overdub your own tracks make it infinitely enjoyable.

4. Myst DS

Myst has been around for over fifteen years, but this port for the DS translates the game beautifully. With its touchscreen based interface, it feels just like a mouse, and it makes pulling levers and pushing buttons much easier. I'm still waiting for someone to do a port of Riven for the Wii, though.

3. Cubello

A puzzle game reminiscent of 3D Tetris. With minimalist and colorful graphics, with an outstanding MIDI based soundtrack, altogether with a MCP-esque voice, this is one game to have.

2. Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Another great addition to the series. I can't find much to say, other than that it is Super Smash Bros.

1. Skate It

I seriously cannot put this game down. This game is the apex of all skateboarding games, featuring minimalistic yet fully fluid control, the best graphics that I've ever seen on the Wii, excellent ragdoll physics, and a most excellent soundtrack.

Honourable mention goes to Sins of a Solar Empire for showing that a game can get good sales without DRM (and therefore implying, despite what EA say, that piracy does not cause poor sales, poor games cause poor sales).

51IECBNOHeL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

This man speaks the truth. Hear, hear!

Number one for me, unquestioningly, would be Sins of a Solar Empire. SoaSE gets my nomination for the best. Easily. No contest. This game is simply fun. It's very different in every game, and the games can be quick, or they can be long (very long...looking outside and saying "it's the morning already" long). But, it's always enjoyable.

Number two for me would be Far Cry 2. I'm sick of the Far Cry 2 bashing. I thoroughly enjoyed the game. Even the obnoxious driving parts and malaria made me feel much more immersed. And the graphics were simply amazing. Playing it with all settings cranked up (even the 8xAA), on a 24" 1920x1200 monitor, in the dark, with headphones in...that's simply epic. I might play it again. The ending was very well done, IMO.

Number three for me is Crysis Warhead. I love Crysis, and I love Crysis Warhead too. The music was amazing, and the explosions were awesome. Psycho was just closer to my war-personality anyways. Nomad was rather monotonous.

Number four for me is Battlefield: Bad Company. It's the first Battlefield game with a SP campaign, and it kicks ass. Best audio in a a game I've ever heard, and the way so many things could be destroyed just made me smile. I love it. I feel lame playing shooters without destructible environments now. Good music too.

Number five for me would be The Force Unleashed, but it's not good enough for that rank. Problem is, those seem to be all my 2008 games. TFU would get an eight out of ten for me. It has issues. No changeable weapons, no dismemberment, no multiplayer (WTF?), no vehicles, and weird effects added onto Force powers like push are what bring it down for me. The linearity and repetitiveness also hurt it. So, I cannot name it to my top five.

Hence, I have a top four.

- PR-0927

Hmm. I have Sins of a Solar Empire.

A part of me really wants like like it, but the beginning moves SO SLOW and i suppose I'm just not in the mood for that sort of game right now. I love the concept, but I dunno.

I played it a lot for like a week when i first got it, which was months ago, but then I got distracted by another game and sort of fell away for a while. I actually picked it up again today and I played for about an hour, but it couldn't really draw me in.

What am I doing wrong? A massive, epic-scale RTS that takes place in space. It should be my favorite game of all time, but it's not working.

:/

Use the "+" button liberally in the beginning if the slow beginning gets to you. It bothers me, but I've mastered the art of the black market, so I can keep buying stuff. Try playing it over LAN with friends - it's amazingly fun.

- PR-0927

Alright TiE, to abide by your rules, I shortened my list. It was hard.

This year there were a LOT of really GREAT games that came out, the problem was that many of them came out at roughly the same time, and there was just not enough hours in the day to play all of them, unless you were paid to do so. Also, with a sagging economy, it was difficult to choose which one you wanted to shell out $60 for. I played a ton of really great games this year. Not all of them made the list. The ones that impressed me most are the ones I want to talk about now.

5. 51hBOA8a%2B7L._SL500_.jpg

Oh Rock Band 2, where do I begin? Despite dumping several hours into this game, and rocking my face off until the wee hours of the morning, I still have not tired from this gem of a game. Last night, it was the focus of my New Year's eve party, and we were rocking out until about 4am. Prior to Christmas, I was getting pretty stressed at work, and the manager down the Street said "Groovy, you need to go home and rock out for a few hours!". We signed on to live and rocked out for about 3 hours, and it did wonders for my soul as well as my personal well being. Between the imports from Rock Band 1, and the DLC, my catalog is quite extensive. One night I did a 33 song set list just for the Hell of it. The critics are right, this IS THE party game of the year, and the best to offer in the fake music genre of gaming. My only gripe would be the lack of being able to SAVE a set list for future use. Keep the songs coming, and I will keep rocking!

4. 51HpjDj62DL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I don't play a lot of sports games, but I love hockey. So I play NHL every year. For many years the 2K series dominated the game. Back in '07 EA introduced a cool mechanic to the game know as "the skill stick". This opened the window to countless options, as you now have the ability to use the right thumb stick to control your hockey stick. Loosely translated, this means you can practice with the skill stick to pull off crazy slap shots. After playing '07, and '08 it was impossible for me to go back to the 2k games ever again. What makes '09 so damn special is you can create your own hockey player, take him through an entire career, and on top of that, you can now form your own hockey "guild" for lack of better words, and take your guild online and compete for virtual prizes. Even better than that, weather you are a novice to hockey, a die hard pro hockey fan, or a new comer to the sport, NHL 09 makes it easy for anyone to pick up a stick and get into the game. Unlike most EA sports games, this one is not just another sports title with a year attached to it, it is an entity all by itself. As I type this, NHL 09 is currently out of stock in my store, and has been outselling Madden 09 for several months now. And this is in an area where we thought hockey was dead. Kind of makes you wonder?

3. Dead%20Space%20360.jpg

I WANTED to put Silent Hill Homecoming here, but since I am a fan of that genre I may seem a bit jaded. AND on many aspects, this game scared me more. I actually think I developed Post Traumatic Stress Disorder by playing this game. I had to stop after a certain length of time, because it was working my nerves that bad. At first, this game seemed interesting enough, and yes I DID play this game at the GameStop manager's convention and enjoyed it however... If any of you have ever been to a video game show such as E-3, or some smaller equivalent, you notice some things that can distract you from the experience. Playing this game on a kiosk in a large well lit room, with dozens of other kiosks blaring all over the place. Plus on games such as this when they are not out yet...they often have only one level for you to play. I am not saying I did not enjoy it, but when I WAS playing it, I did not realize the full experience. When I checked this game out from work and took it home, and threw it in my 360 in the middle of the night, and cranked up my surround sound, it was a completely different game. I was beyond dazzled. I was scared ****less, my nerves were rattled, and I was convinced that I was playing something that I always wanted to play. This game does not offer anything that has not been done before, but what it does offer is a healthy spin on the genre itself. Exploring the remains of an empty space craft in space is not something new either in movies or games. What makes this game stand out is the use of sound. Holy Christ, the sound on this game blows my mind. That could be something around that corner scurrying around, or is it? And what is that infernal pounding noise? Also, great used of light and shadows. And the most impressive part of this game is the use of the built in HUD. You have this groovy space age suit which interacts with electronic devices and also monitors your health. The result is that the entire in game HUD is built into your suit. The menus, your health status, ammo....everything. You also have the ability to manipulate gravity which creates some truly memorable moments as the game progresses. The other thing that makes this game stand out from others is the physics. Most survival horror games like this, the larger the creature, the slower they move. In this game, the opposite is true. And don't aim for the head, you have to shoot off the limbs in this game. Also it is so fun to upgrade your weapons and try different stuff. It was a surprise hit, and a keeper in my opinion. I don't currently own the game, but I HAVE played it, and am planning to purchase it so I can beat it. I hear it has multiple endings.

2. resistance-2-gears-of-war-2-1.jpg

Gears of War 2/Resistance 2

It was impossible for me to choose. Each one came out around the same time. Each one was exclusive to one system. Each one took place in either an alternate time line, or an alternate universe. Both games had mechanics that were based steeply in the physics of reality. Both games had a great story, a great campaign, and a fantastic multiplayer game to offer. What can I say? GoW2 had Marcus Phoenix and the gang going up against the locust again, this time it's personal. Resistance 2 had our lone hero Nathan Hale being rescued from certain death to join up with a team of elites known as Sentinels. I guess the story is not as huge as GoW2, but it is still way more impressive than the boring History Channel like narrative that was offered in Resistance: Fall of Man. Each game is a system seller in itself. The only HUGE difference is that GoW2 is third person, and Resistance 2 is FPS all the way. Each game has great boss fights. Damn. You just have to play both to see what I am talking about. Both games are great!

1. boxart_us_fallout-3.jpg

Fallout 3. A lot of people throw around the words "Fallout 2" with some holy meaning. I have NEVER played a fallout game until now, and I am happy to say, it does not freaking matter. I love this game to pieces and then some. I was marginally excited about the genre of the game itself. A post apocalyptic RPG, that plays like an FPS game. I always liked the mechanics around Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, but I have to admit that the whole idea of spells, magic, wizards, and otherwise mid evil terminology bored me to tears. Even Patric Stewart's monologue in game, was boring to the point of lunacy. Fallout 3 is a game that has both depth, humor and action. The voice acting is beyond top notch which you expect from a great game. Ron Perlman as the narrator, and Liam Neeson as your dad, which finding him is the first quest in the game. Also Vault-Tec Assisted Targeting System, or VATS, allows you to zero in on a target and shoot it right between the eyes, or however violent you want to be. As any RPG, you can be a good guy, or a complete arsehole. Either way this game is so much fun to be had. When I played it at conference, I had a hard time walking away from it. I will admit, I have not committed as much time to it as I would like, but I HAVE liked what I played so far. I am also looking forward to building my own post apocalyptic weapons. I also love the adult sense of humor between human interaction in this game. You walk into a bar, and a prostitute yells at you "WTF are YOU doing here?" How can you not like that? This game gets my vote as Game of the year. To hell with GTA4. I played that for a week and got bored. I played Fallout 3, and had a hard time putting it down every time!

And now to make me feel better. The other 5 games that almost made the cut!

5. unreal_tournament_3_360_box_490.jpg

This game actually came out for PS3 and PC last year. This is done by the same developers as Gears of War 2. Hence the "Unreal Engine". Many of you FPS purists on here have played the hell out of past Unreal titles. I fondly remember playing Unreal 2K3 with many of you on here. It was so much damn fun. I first played UT3 on the PS3, but there was one very important function missing from the game. Lack of in game chat. Now playing a mode like "Warfare" is damn near impossible without any in game chat. Other than that, the game was damn gorgeous for a console. There were many, MANY gripes on the UT3 forums about that glitch, and no patch was ever issued, so I held my breath for another year for the 360 version. It comes out a year later and low and behold....still no in game chat...WTF? They actually want you to press a button to talk. In a game like this it seems beyond asinine. Now, there is some noticed improvements over the PS3 version, such as 1080P graphics, however, the chat function is still dead. Rather there is an in game hack that involves starting a match, then unplugging the headset, and plugging it in again. This will allow you to speak in game, but it does not show who is speaking.....LAME! This could have been a fantastic 360 experience, but the lack of ability to upload mods, or use in game chat killed it. Also, I tried so hard to fine a good clan of players to play Warfare mode, but all they wanted to do was play death match. Death match in a game like this, your life expectancy is about 1 minute tops. No fun at all. The lack of replay value on this game prompted me to get rid of it. Such a waste.

4. boxart.jpg

Now here is a series of games I have loved since original NES. This game, makes you feel like a bad ass ninja. Throwing stars, jumping around, hacking up other ninjas, upgrading powers and weapons. Everything to expect from a good Ninja game. Unlike past Ninja Gaiden games, this one IS a bit easier, but that feeling is short lived. You can only feel like a bad ass Ninja for so long, but about 3 to 4 boss fights in, even on the easiest difficulty setting, you are left being punished for extreme difficulty. Dammit. It hooks you in, then it spits on you for thinking you were something special. Past Ninja Gaiden games did exactly the opposite. Also, the story is an aquired taste. Very much along the lines of cartoons and various Anime. It's not always realistic. Like all Ninja Gaiden games, it's fun to try, but it will laugh at you and call you names before it's over. Good luck...

3. vegas2-Boxart_EU_Rainbow-Six-Vegas-2_360.jpg

Rainbow Six Vegas (1) was something I discovered late in the game. My assistant manager challenged me, that if I played and liked the game, he would buy it again and play with me. After that moment, we played that game every day all the way up until the release of the sequel. I have such FOND memories of eliminating terrorists on LVU campus. It was some of the best MP action I ever had on the 360. I was so excited about Vegas 2, that I literally took the day off work just to play the damn thing. I found good and bad. The good thing was that it was now easier to level up. You could now level up in the game, and unlock weapons as you do so. However, the single player campaign was too short, too easy, and not all that interesting. Even worse, the MP maps were smaller. Yes, leveling up is now easier, and you now have the ability to re-spawn at least twice in game. All of these things looked good on paper, but here is where things went wrong. I bought the game in March when it came out. I moved to my new place in early May. By the time I got my internet up and running, all of my clan were done playing RSV2. WTF? I got robbed here, big time. Most of them had leveled up to elite. Played every map there was, got bored and moved on to other games. WTH? There were never any MP maps available for download ever again. It was like they just released the title and abandoned it all together. Most of my clan keeps the game in hopes that a map pack will be available for download, yet 9 months later, this still has not happened. What a ****ing waste. I never got to level up to officer status, and nobody is playing that game anymore. So what looked good on paper, ruined an otherwise great mp game. Thanks for nothing. ****ers.

2. 51z7MtzUVdL._SS400_.jpg

This is hard for me, because this is a genre game, a formula game, and it involves a formula I happen to like a lot!

If any of you played either Silent Hill for PSONE, or Silent Hill 2 for PS2, you know what I am on about.

Silent Hill was the first game that ever gave me the willies. You were turned loose in a town covered in ash, that looked like new snow fall. There were creatures everywhere. The only warning you had was the static of a broken radio you kept on your person. You spent the rest of the game exploring what happened to the inhabitants of Silent Hill while looking for someone. Homecoming follows the formula perfectly. The only thing is that Homecoming now involves elements found in the movie into actual gameplay. What makes the game great, is that it does not stray from formula what so ever. What kills the game, is the lack of inverted view, and the lack of ease on the difficulty setting. If you can surpass that, you have a good game to play. You play as Alex Shepard, A soldier coming home, and you see your brother from time to time, and you are looking for him. As a former soldier, you have unique abilities to kick the crap out of monsters and the game progresses. You get achievements as you take down at least one of each new monster you encounter. This is a love it or hate it title. If you hated the previous chapters, or thought the movie was crap. Best stay clear of this one.

1. boxart_us_star-wars-the-force-unleashed.jpg

This should have been game of the year for obvious reasons. However, it has noticeable flaws. 1. Where is the multiplayer? LucasArts is so proud to show off it's Euphoria engine, but there is no Multiplayer. So basically you can go through this game twice, as there is two possible endings. Yet...no multiplayer. LucasArts has abandoned multiplayer. The last good Star Wars Multiplayer game was Star Wars Battlefront II, and that was now four years ago. The other problem with STFU, is that you have all of the abilities at your disposal, but as the game progresses you loose them, and are forced to choose. LAME! We can only hope for another SWBF, or another Jedi Outcast game to arrive. Otherwise....so long....

Archived