Home

Music

jrrtoken

I happen to like Jeremy Soule (K1's composer) much more, and since he has worked with Bioware before, I'd very much like he did the scores for this game.
Soule is okay, but his stuff for K1 didn't always have the Star Wars feel. Case and point, Kashyyyk had ambient tribal music. That's okay, but isn't a staple point of Star Wars-y music classically thematic?

Griskey captured that essence by applying John Williams' principle, by adapting each orchestrated theme to fit a certain environment. Korriban left a feeling of mysterious, dark dread. The Jedi Enclave left a feeling of unknown hope. Dxun left the feeling of an untamed wild. All of those theme used orchestration to fit an environment, rather than trying to actually replicate the environment.

Soule is okay, but his stuff for K1 didn't always have the Star Wars feel. Case and point, Kashyyyk had ambient tribal music. That's okay, but isn't a staple point of Star Wars-y music classically thematic?

Griskey captured that essence by applying John Williams' principle, by adapting each orchestrated theme to fit a certain environment. Korriban left a feeling of mysterious, dark dread. The Jedi Enclave left a feeling of unknown hope. Dxun left the feeling of an untamed wild. All of those theme used orchestration to fit an environment, rather than trying to actually replicate the environment.

K1 did have his musical moments with Bastila and Malak's Themesongs.

K1 did have his musical moments with Bastila and Malak's Themesongs.
You're right,those are probably my favorites form KotOR I. Yet, the cons seem to outnumber the pros this time, though. I seriously wanted to just stop playing KotOR I when I heard the Taris Sewers theme. :headbump

I always though the contrary. For me, Soule did a better job at this than Griskey. The majority of songs on K2 were dark, as the game itself was, that shouldn't limit the songs variations by itself but that happens nevertheless. It's personal taste, really, I don't like the tone of most musics, I don't like the instruments he used on them and especially the battle musics felt terribly awkward.

Now, from what I remember, K1 did a good job on matching a song with an environment. The tribal on the Sand People Village, the dark tone applied on the underseas of Manaan, the epic at the Upper City and the list goes on.

I regard most of the music in both KOTOR games as rather bland and forgettable. Aside from a handful of tracks (such as Darth Malak's theme from K1 and the theme on the Ravager from TSL), I don't like either of them that much, and think it would have been better if they had used more of the already-existing Star Wars music in the KOTOR games.

As for why I like all of the TFU music but only some of the TSL music, I haven't the foggiest idea. Maybe it felt more like Star Wars than the latter.

a 12 year old with a dj program? ... man i really have mass effect hate issues... sorry...

wikipedia is your friend:

The Mass Effect Original Soundtrack was composed and produced by Jack Wall and Sam Hulick and featuring additional music by Richard Jacques and David Kates, the soundtrack was released on November 20, 2007.

• 3 weeks later...

You didn't like Mass Effect's music (or the game at all it seems)? It sounded great to me.

It wouldn't bother me at all to see all the classic Star Wars music selections, but I personally enjoyed both K1 and K2's music, so if they decide to compose some new music of their own, that's cool.

I preferred K1's music over K2's, and K1's music over some of the movies.

John William's will only let you use the original scores of his music, so any Star Wars music will be directly from him. The other music will probably be similar to K1, considering it is back in Bioware's hands.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I thought that Jeremy Soule's music for Kotor 1 was great, despite it not capturing the right feel for Star Wars. Mark Griskey's music for Kotor 2 and The Force Unleashed did a better job at that. I would prefer his, speaking realistically, though idealistically, I'd like to see Murray Gold compose the music. A lot of the music he's done for Doctor Who has a very Star Wars feel to it, in my opinion.

• 4 months later...

I have heard that they will use John Williams music from the films.

The ultimate solution would be if John Williams made a completely new score. if he doesn't, i hope Mark Griskey will score. if Mark griskey don't i hope for Joel Mcneely.

Because John Williams never have written music for an game i think he cant be considered.

Now to the Mark Griskey vs jeremy Soule battle.

Mark Griskey is the best of them by far. he makes fantastic symphonic star wars music that more than once surpasses the greates composers of our time! He is not as good as John Williams (who is?) but he is my favorite composer after maestro Williams. Jeremy soule makes more experimental scores and it is all electronic. he has the bastilla shan theme and some other great ones, but it isn't as brilliant as Mark griskey's works on TFU and TSL. I hope Mark Griskey return for TOR.

I have the complete scores from KOTOR,KOTOR II and TFU on my mp3 player, and listen to them daily. I really enjoy Mark Griskeys music and Jeremy Soule's isnt bad either, but Griskey has a genuine style that is very close to John Williams. but for now it looks like John Williams brilliant scores for episode I-VI will be in TOR (source: i think it was tracksound.com or something)

I like Soule and Griskey both so I'd be happy with either of those guys. Though both's music fit their respective games well.

I agree. Though I wish both of these guys would have used more familiar themes more often instead of just ambient and and random action music. They had a lot of tracks that just seemed like filler, to me. I really don't like the boring ambient music, like the one that was used on Tatooine. One thing I do not want to see though, is more of John William's recycled SW music. I think we've all had enough of that, since it's practically been used for every game.

Archived