Home

Winter - A poem by leXX

leXX

Yeah, I know how much winter sucks. It was a pretty frigid 60 degrees Fahrenheit over here in Southern California a few days ago.

We actually don't get winter. We just have spring, a long summer, and autumn. Leaves are still turning red and yellow, for Christ's sake!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, I know how much winter sucks. It was a pretty frigid 60 degrees Fahrenheit over here in Southern California a few days ago.

We actually don't get winter. We just have spring, a long summer, and autumn. Leaves are still turning red and yellow, for Christ's sake!

Cold is better than fault lines and earthquakes!

Ohh, right. Wind chill. :p Well, that brings it down to -40 for Duluth. Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius? You decide.

But it's a "dry" cold. :p

Seriously, I grew up in northern Indiana where it could get pretty cold, but it was after moving to southwest Virginia that I experienced how bad "wet" cold weather can be. It rarely gets really cold here, but when the temperature hovers around freezing the air stays very humid and soaks into your clothes and generally gives you that wonderful "bone-chilling" effect. I frequently find myself hoping that it actually gets colder just to knock that humidity out of the air.

I like to call it "pneumonia weather".

Oh no.. we have to save Rhett, he's stuck in the 90s! :eek:

There are worse places to be stuck...

You're right. Like the 80s! :eek:

No s***. I grew up in that decade, and I wouldn't want to go back there.

No, 1340's in Europe would suck more. Bubonic plague man, not cool.

Speaking of which: has anyone seen that church in eastern Europe with the interior completely decorated with the bones of thousands of plague victims? I think I saw it on the History Channel. It's got to be one of the most macabre things I've ever seen.

OT: Well, it's now hovering around +5 degrees F here in southwest Virginia, so it's now the coldest that it's been here in recent memory, but at least it's dry. ;)

but at least it's dry. ;)

Personally, I can't stand the dry cold. I've constantly been applying lotion and chap stick all day, but my hands are so dry that they've begun to crack and bleed, and my lips feel the same. Not good.

But to be fair, I've never really experienced a "wet cold." I don't think.

Personally, I can't stand the dry cold. I've constantly been applying lotion and chap stick all day, but my hands are so dry that they've begun to crack and bleed, and my lips feel the same. Not good.

Get a humidifier. ;)

Sure you have. It usually happens in the Spring up there. It's any time that the temp is >32F but <40F and the humidity level is high. The reason that you don't notice it so much up there is because it gets so friggin' cold (and stays that way all winter) that anything above freezing feels warm.

The reason I bitch about the "wet cold" so much is that it usually doesn't get much colder than freezing down here (now being an exception) but the air stays damp all winter long unless it does, and, being a transplanted Yankee, I'm used to "dry cold".

Hey, I loved the 80's!

I'm sorry. :(

My favourite decade in fact, the music was awesome.

You'll have to go into specifics here, but I sincerely hope that you're not referring to 80s pop, because I think that the vast majority of it sucked balls. Repetitive, repetitive, repetitive crap. Towards the end of the decade I wanted to seek out and kill the ****in' moron whose brilliant idea was like "Hey, let's see how many times we can repeat the same 7- to 9-note tune and the same 7- to 9-word phrase in one song. I'll bet it becomes a trend." Well, unfortunately it did. :swear:

You wouldn't like it. "Wet cold" is not a very good description, try "piercingly horrible cold."

Also, yes, the 80's had Regan and some (some) good entertainment, but agh, it's the culture that bothers me.

Archived