Home

iTunes Completely DRM-Free

EnderWiggin

Apple announced that after six years, the iTunes Store would soon completely stop selling music encumbered by digital rights management (DRM) restrictions.

This does come with some price changes (some songs will be $0.69, some will be $0.99, and some will be $1.29).

These songs are just like iTunes Plus songs that were being sold before. Apple is charging a one-time fee to update your iTunes library ($0.30/song).

A wonderful turn of events for anyone who likes the internet.

Discuss.

_EW_

I already use ITunes when I just want a song or two from an album or for videos. I still buy the CD when I want the entire album. I never really worried about the DRM until recently when I noticed how many songs I have downloaded. Great news, but I wish they would have announced it before I used up my ITunes gift card I received for my birthday. :D

These songs are just like iTunes Plus songs that were being sold before. Apple is charging a one-time fee to update your iTunes library ($0.30/song).[/Quote] 60 cents for music videos. :(

Finally, a publisher has common sense and wishes to free itself of rather draconian DRM.
Amazon's MP3 service has always been DRM-free, no?

@topic: I'm glad to hear that Apple is getting rid of the DRM stuff, but I am even happier to see that one of the music services is finally offering competitive pricing. Not that a dollar a song was bad, when you consider how much overhead the companies are avoiding by going digital, it still feels like I'm being raped.

woah, i *never* thought apple would do that. this is practically an invitation for p2p'ers to go crazy. i wonder what the music artists think about this?
people who are going to pirate music will pirate music, surprisingly enough, itunes isn't the only source of music on the internet and drm is far from being foolproof.

and the artists probably won't be affected since they're probably gonna be ****ed by the industry just the same.

28vym4w.png

Am I the only person who archives?

No. I have a back up to my back up. :D

Just got my email back from iTunes to upgrade to iTunes Plus. Pretty painless, except for $75.00 price tag and the amount of time it is taking to download. I guess it could be worse, instead of 180 songs/videos it could be updating all 4640 songs/videos.

people who are going to pirate music will pirate music, surprisingly enough, itunes isn't the only source of music on the internet and drm is far from being foolproof.

i know.

what i thought was a situation where some guy gets high quality music with all the gracenote info from itunes. then his buddies come along for a lan party and everyone grabs his high quality itunes music.

thing is, with p2p, you're relying on other people's ripped music. after a while of dloading music, you'll end up with one heck of a messed up library. (track info, etc)

with this development, pirates can get a nice clean library with high quality songs.

example: if i was a total pirate, id only pirate my music from itunes from now on.

i personally hate having a messed up library and this beats having to buy TuneUp to have one.

so itunes and the music artists get ripped off even more. see where im coming from?

Uhm... you do know that iTunes lets you organise your library quite easily, right? Without 'TuneUp'. I don't see what you mean by "messed up library". So no, I personally have no idea where you're coming from.

i said if i was a pirate. the messed up libraries happen when you get all your music from p2p. not when you use itunes.

... you clearly have no idea how to use iTunes, by the looks of it....my library is meticulously organised, and is in no way "messed up". It's not like iTunes only lets you edit tracks that you buy from the Store. It lets you create ID3 tags and such for any track you want.

... you clearly have no idea how to use iTunes, by the looks of it. I myself use P2P for all my music, ... And my library is meticulously organised, and is in no way "messed up". It's not like iTunes only lets you edit tracks that you buy from the Store. It lets you create ID3 tags and such for any track you want.

yes, you have to go edit the song info by yourself, which can be extremely tedious when you have thousands of songs that havnt been organized.

while when you buy itunes music, all the track info is already there.

Took them long enough, like it's been said Amazon as well as Rhapsody have been offering DRM-free music for quite a while now. Don't really like how I have to pay to get the DRM removed from the songs I have bought from iTunes when they should have been DRM-free all along.

you also clearly have no idea... i get id3 tags and cover art on the rare occasions i smurf things.

getting id3 tags is not he problem. its the orderliness of the contents of the tags. you might class this song's genre as "orchestral", while some uncultured nut whose computer you got the song off may put the genre as "crap".

so, what program do you use that nullifies this issue?

this isn't some crazy new fangled technology or people being willing to go through their music adding tags you just have no idea what you're talking about

i believe some context is in order:

i'm meaning mostly genre tags. the titles and stuff are usually fine.

another example:

here is a cd track with info from wmp (shown in iTunes):

picture.php?albumid=271&pictureid=2592

here is the same song with the info taken this time from gracenote (iTunes):

picture.php?albumid=271&pictureid=2593

ive used wmp's and itune's respective track info finders without any tag modification from me.

do you see the difference?

my point is, i may take that track from a guy who ripped the cd using wmp, and some other ones from a guy who ripped using itunes, and then the rest from a guy who put the tags in himself. i end up with a somewhat disorganized cd in my library.

Archived