Home

Better Sound in KotOR II

jrrtoken

If anyone is having problems with sound in either K1 or 2, I've sound several remedies to the problem.

The first thing, is to download the official High Quality Music Patch. This will make the in-game sound much, much better.

However, the music in the patch is still of pretty low caliber. To remedy this, you can download my Ultra High Quality Music Patch and Ultra High Quality Ambience Patch. These patches provide even higher quality music, at a full 44,100 Hz sampling rate, instead of the archaic 22,050 Hz files included in the official patches.

Additionally, users with a Creative Sound Blaster card, especially the Audigy and Xi-Fi series can enhance the amount of atmospheric sounds by enalbing EAX effects. To do this, at the main menu, go to "Sound", "Advanced Options", and at "Environmental Audio (EAX)", set it to "EAX 3". The difference is dramatic. When I first enabled it, I heard water flowing when by fountains, an electrical hum when near light tubes, and other effects.

Additionally, for Vista users who own a Sound Blaster card, you've sort of been screwed over by Microsoft. Thanks to Vista, MS has removed the Vendor Extension system used by games that utilize DirectSound3D and EAX. This usually applies to older games, since the OpenAL rendering system has effectively made DS3D obsolete. To restore these effects, Creative has released ALchemy, a free utility for Xi-Fi and Audigy owners. Note that this utility is for Vista users only, as it is not needed for XP'ers. This utility can be downloaded here.

I hope this helps someone. :)

Well, thank you...I'll check this out. I'm a Vista user. I have to disable sound in order to even play K2. Strangely, the vista patch won't do worth jack for my system, in fact it hinders. However, the 1.0b patch makes it playable.

I probably need another soundcard since mine is built in to my motherboard. But I'll give it a try.

I have an eMachines T5274a w/ Vista home premium and SP 1.

I was also considering upgrading my graphics card to the highest one I can possibly get for this one...Nvidia 8800 I believe.

I am, however, torn between all that, or buying a Co2 Laser tube for my other project. ;)

Archived