Home

Star Wars RPG

daventry

You've just asked the world's mst elusive question. Congratulations.

LucasArts seems to think that cries for a KotOR III equals an MMO. Either way, there will be no KotOR III, since BioWare is trying to make TOR into KotOR III, IV, V, VI, VII, MCXVIII.

Plus, if Bethesda made a KotOR like Oblivion, I'd have to assassinate them.

They were more like Action Adventure Quest Games with a Mini RPG in them, now Oblivion, theres an RPG Game. :D

No they were true RPG's Oblivion is a shadowy failure when comparing to RPG's such as NWN and Kotor. Plot development and character development are how you know that Bioware will always far exceed Bethesda and there porr attempts at the RPG market. I need only look at there latest RPG failure Fallout 3 which does not hold a candle to the quality of RPG and story depth found in Fallout 1 & 2 published by Black Isle which was the Predecessor to Bioware. Also look to cames like Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale from Black Isle/Bioware and know that those are what true RPG's markers for the PC. Ironically Bethesda had a good thing with Oblivions predecessor Elder Scrolls 3 Morrowind when it came to an RPG gaming experience it would have been good to see them improve upon not downgrade the role-playing experience. Rather Bethesda has and still does focus more on combat mechanics and less on story.

These words are not my humble opinion but the reality of one who has been playing pc rpg's since the 80's and 90's. Also I have been a diehard PNP RPG'er and I can count on one hand the number of great combat games I ever played with PNP as compared to the innumerable gaming sessions where the stories are still rich in my head.

Oh and for reference RPG stands for Role-Playing game. To further define this in a RPG your goal in the game is not to win but to play a "Role" Within a story. This role defines you as your character his/her background, his/her motivations, & his/her goals. In traditional PNP RPG's you have Gm's or Storytellers there job is to create the outline of there story and where they want there story to go. Your job as the player is either to achieve this goal that has been set before you or in a good campaign be able to do exactley the opposite of what the storyteller had in mind without unravelling there world.

Archived