• Gamorrean
    • Wookiee
    • Gran
    • Aqualish
    • Bith
    • Weequay
    • Duros
    • Devaronian

I know the OP was probably limited to how many "races" he could include in the Poll but frankly I think its a bit crap that not one of those was a "human" or "near human" race.

Not one. If we werent talking about a fictional universe here I would say it was racist.

The thing that irritates me most about the Star Wars universe is the clear overwhelming dominance of the humans and near human species in the galaxy.

I mean its understandable in the movies from a practicality stand point, less expensive to have humans with pink coloured skin than it is to create a ithorian puppet. Also from a lore standpoint it makes sense, the Empire was a humanocentric entity so it made sense that it excluded non humans.

But in books, and games like K2, I would have loved to have seen a bit more of the Quarren, or the Mon Calimari, or Wookies, or Bith or whatever. Heck I would have liked to have seen a bit more diversity in the near humans as well. Like the Zeltrons, or Zabraks, or Chiss, or Nagai.

As it is its a case of "oh look humans. and more humans. oh and some aliens in stereotyped roles. oh and some more humans." even in places where frankly humans should NOT be dominant like Hutt space.

EDIT:

For this particular list I will say I dont like the Twileks.

My reason. They all for some mad reason in both games speak Huttese instead of Twilekki. And they all look EXACTLY the same; absolutely no genetic differences whatsoever. Except ya know being different colours.

All the men look and sound the same.

All the women look and sound the same.

And the entire race in the KOTOR series seems to be stereotyped into the sorta slaveling role; or used as a "oh look heres NOT a human" generic placeholder which rapidly and inexplicably makes them the second most populous non human race - which considering they are a pre-hyperspace capable society than has only been transplanted off world by slavers in this era.

EDIT2:

In all fairness however K2 does seem a little better in a diversity sense than K1 is.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived