Home

Question about the Many XvT's

CrisG

I seem to be collecting a variety of editions or versions of XvT.

Initially i got the original XvT sans Balance of Power, 2 CD's

Then i got the Balance of Power alone, all by itself on its own 1 CD

Now i have aquired a new variant, which was published in 2000 i think, and has XvT Master Game Disk on CD1 and Balance of Power (new CD design from the first issue of BOP) on CD2.

I am wondering if the original issue has the same content as the combined set that comes with BOP....or if the combined version may be optimized or improved....and if i should un install the first install and use the combined versoin? any advice much appreciated.

The main difference is that the bundle containing BoP has XvT already patched (forgot the XvT version number) for improved Internet play, thereby not requiring the download of a patch. The original XvT also has a disk (which is actually labeled the "Master" disk b/c of a labeling error in the original production run) that only installs to allow a player to join a game (but not host one). Most players will install the master (labeled "Multiplayer" in the original run) disk, anyway, which is why the "Multiplayer" disk was left out of the BoP bundle.

ah that explains it thanks very much. I had a chance to examine the files on the original issue for a set of the 2 disks that belongs to a collegue of mine and the two looked very similar, so i was unsure even if they were duplicates...your explanation helps understand. much appreciated.

Archived