Home

A Thread In Which We Commit Gamer Assisted Suicide (Confess Unpopular Gamer Opinions)

Boba Rhett

smaller development windows: how many times have you played a game where you tell yourself, "they should've spent some more time on _____"??? i know i've said that way too many times in the past decade of gaming as development timeframes have shrunk lower and lower. the least they could do is to hire some more people to help out if not extend the development window so the games have some more polish. trust me: when the day comes that you have to patch a console game (with no new content), then its high time that developers started putting more time and effort into making a game that works right everytime.
I have this dream where the RotS game came out with tons of characters for duel mode and can be selected for the SP campaign. Qui-Gon, Maul, Luke, Yoda, Palpatine, Quinlan, Corran, Kyle, and every other UE force user. More co-op missions, more duel maps. That game had so much potential. Hell, I'd be down for Lego SW + RotS.

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have this dream where the RotS game came out with tons of characters for duel mode and can be selected for the SP campaign. Qui-Gon, Maul, Luke, Yoda, Palpatine, Quinlan, Corran, Kyle, and every other UE force user. More co-op missions, more duel maps. That game had so much potential. Hell, I'd be down for Lego SW + RotS.
Pretty much like with TFU duel mode on Wii, except actual fun gameplay, the duel mode on TFU is so cheesy and lame it gets old after a few fights. There are over 20 characters to pick from I know (though 9 of them are all the apprentice's costumes) but still pretty good selection like Qui-Gon and Mara Jade and Luke, etc. But yeah, RotS gameplay would make it so much better.

The Gears of War series are easily my two favourite 'shooter' games that I've played. I've played the campaign in both games in all the difficulties and I can stay that I wasn't really bored at all. And the MP in the second game was so fun. Too bad my 360 crapped out. :( So stoked for Gears 3 though.

The Force Unleashed was easily the most over hyped game of 2008, IMO. It just didn't live up to what I expected of it. Albeit, I had fun playing it the first time, after that, I just lost interest. If it had MP, it would've have been a different story.

Assassin's Creed was great and all, but I just found it to be too repetitive. But, the visuals were fantastic. The ability to roam free and jump and climp over everything was sweet.

Grand Theft Auto IV would probably be the best game of 2008 I'd have to say. I'd say every part of the game was well done. Specifically the voice acting. This being said, I didn't really like any of the other GTA games.

The Halo Series is so overrated. More so than Gears. I just don't get way this game is popular.

Mass Effect and Knights of the Old Republic are the only two RPGs I like. Both are made by BioWare. Both very well done.

Knights of the Old Republic II was mediocre IMO. I just couldn't get into the game.

BioShock is my favourite rental game. I beat it twice before I returned it. Bottom line, no multiplayer. Can't wait for BioShock II.

Call of Duty 4 = awesome. 1-3 were meh. Haven't played 5 yet.

Left 4 Dead is overrated as well. I like the idea with the 4 players and everything, but the gameplay isn't all that great.

NHL 08-09 and MLB The Show are the only sports games that I was compelled to play over and over.

EDIT: Technically, shouldn't this be in The Outlander Club section. :p

Halo Series: See above. I think i'm the only 360 owner who didn't buy it for Halo 3.

Naw, I don't have it either--it really isn't that great.

TFU--okay game, could have been a lot better.

CoD: WaW--Good game, though the campaign could have been better. Xbox Live gameplay is pretty good, though it can get relatively boring after a little while.

Lots of PS2 games that weren't that great...

Team Fortress 2 had average gameplay, but art design was brilliant. Learn from it.

Yes! Finally i meet another TF2 groupie on this forum!

ahem...Anyways, TF2 is one of the best Multiplayer games, on the 'net, these days. The in depth class system requires a small amount of strategy based on who your teammates are playing as what the enemy has, what the gamemode is and whatnot. Also, the semi-regular updates and hundreds of mad mpas on the PC keep it interesting, thanks the huge amount of customization VALvE has given the players.

Pong>Everything except Zork

Zork>awesome

I also forgot to mention how disappointed I was with Fable. I was expecting a far longer and more intricate story than I got.

As some of you may know, I loathe every aspect of the Grand Theft Auto series. I don't care what anyone thinks of me for it, they're just not fun. They're not entertaining, they're not interesting, they're just not fun. I fail to see why they have such a massive following.

Also, Age of Empires II > Age of Empires III. I don't know what everyone's problem with it is. It was far more innovative than III, which was really just a carbon copy of the other two - not to mention the flat, boring campaign.

Also, Age of Empires II > Age of Empires III. I don't know what everyone's problem with it is. It was far more innovative than III, which was really just a carbon copy of the other two - not to mention the flat, boring campaign.

This to the trillionth power, I wasted my first year of college on this game. And as for my games....

Planescape Torment: No words, if there is a god, this game is proof he loves us and wants us to be happy

System Shock 2: This game I've had the most fun playing in my entire life, nothing is going to top this for entertainment value.

Portal: Valve has shown they know how to challenge a gamer intellectually and this is another example of a short, fun romp.

Call Of Duty 4: The only game where I've ever replayed the single player instead of multi-player, the fact that they made a thrilling story but kept it original had me playing for 6 hrs straight.

Halo Series: Meh. I liked 1, and I thought 2 had an interesting concept but lackluster execution but 3 was straight out boring and unoriginal.

KOTOR Series: Pretty good. Terrible pacing throughout both games. KOTOR 1 is essentially a NWN clone(not a good thing) and TSL is essentially Planescape Torment Part 2(the inward journey is far more difficult to figure out though) Has characters in both games I wanted to get rid of(Disciple, Mission, Juhani,) Combat system is terrible, ported straight from NWN and Bioware didn't even bother to make a special combat system for KOTOR 1. Story in both games is decent but just a rehash of NWN and Planescape Torment, though I give TSL credit for bringing the Star Wars genre into deeper waters.

TFU-Mediocre, nothing much to say aside from that

ROTS- there is one good movie hack'n'slash game and that's The Return Of The King, end of story.

Okay, review of my game cabinet (not counting the really, really old games my parents passed down to me ;)); haven't played most of the things ya'll have been talking about. :p

Star Wars

Revenge of the Sith: My first PS2 game. I loved it. It was COMPLETELY hack 'n slash, but the duel mode was excellent. Every one in a while, I still go back and play the duel mode for about a week, and then go replay the whole campaign. My one issue with it is actually in the duel mode: I can only be the LS versions of the people. :( (Darn annoying--I love DS Serra Keto!)

BFI: I don't like it very much, probably owing to the fact that I have it on the PC, and I hate PC controls. -_- The maps are okay, and there are a few I wish I had in BFII--but I'd gladly sacrifice all those maps for everything new in BFII!

BFII: Awesome game. Period. I've played this thing for days on end. The heroes are great. Hope and pray that BFIII gets made soon.

TFU [PS2]: Terrible. Lousy graphics. Bad gameplay. No facial expressions. Lame extra levels.

TFU [PS3]: I love this game! The graphics are fantastic, the storyline is good, I love being the SA, and I love the overblown Force powers!Sometimes, it's just fun to vent on pixels with massive storms of Force Lightning. The one part I didn't like was the Star Destroyer bit. There's a glitch on my copy where the first three times I play it, Kota never tells me to pull it down. -_- Fourth time's the charm, but it's frustrating. Was it quiiiiiiite worth the hype? Kinda. It might just be because it's the first game I ever looked forward to with bated breath. (And hey! I got a PS3 because of it! :lol:)

Bounty Hunter: Great game, great story, but very annoying gameplay issues. The jetpack fuel runs out after five seconds, making it incredibly difficult to cross chasms. And the parts with unlimited enemies are just annoying. -_- I still haven't beaten the stupid thing. Oh, and the life bar needs to be a lot bigger. An invincibility or unlimited jetpack cheat would be very nice, as well.

LEGO SW: All I can say is...just awesome. Incredibly awesome.

LEGO SW The Original trilogy: Just as awesome as the first one.

LEGO SW The Complete Saga: The greatness of the first two games combined, and the Aayla Secura LEGO figure. What more can I say? :p

Jedi Starfighter: Great game! :xp: I love it! I want number two!

EAW: Pretty good, gets old after a while.

SW Republic Commando: I hate FP. The only thing worse than FP is FP on a PC. Therefore, I stink at this game. Good story, though.

KOTOR: Good. :) Had me completely immersed/obsessed for about two weeks. The Selkath annoyed me, I wanted to pitch Bastila, Juhani, and Zaalbar out the airlock, and the Star Forge got really old after the first deck, but it was fun. :) Mods only make it better.

KOTOR TSL: I like this one even better than the first one! It's darker, I like my PC more, more options with just about everything, and the voice acting's better. All-in-all, the only thing that'll make it greater is TSLRP--and a few Twi'lek head mods I'm gonna install. ;) Oh, yea, and the gameplay's better.

JK:JO: I haven't even beaten this game. All I can think while I play it is a combination of, "What happened to my health bar?!?!" and "DUDE!!!! WHY THE HECK DID YOU GIVE UP YOUR LIGHTSABER!!!! I NEED IT NOW, YOU IDIOT!!!!" Maybe once I get my 'saber I'll see why everyone likes it so much.

Star Trek

Star Trek: Encounters: Terrible. No depth perception. Awful controls. Simply terrible.

Lord of the Rings

The Two Towers: Terrible gameplay. Mediocre levels. Annoying parts where you need that one combo that looked completely useless before. The graphics weren't that great either (at the time I played it). All-in-all, fun to play once in a blue moon.

The Return of the King: Fun; the gameplay was far improved since the second game. I rarely play it.

Pirates of the Caribbean

The Legend of Jack Sparrow: Ugh. Terrible. Lame graphics, even for the time it was made. I can do better Will Turner, Elizabeth Swann, and Barbossa voices when I have laryngitis and a raging fever. -_- Johnny Depp did the best he could with Jack, but he sounded bored half the time--with good reason. The gameplay was so repetitive I practically fell asleep in the last few levels. The boss fights ranged from toddler-simple to impossibly hard. The 'upgraded' swords barely did any more damage than the lower level swords. The relics or whatever I gathered in the game only unlocked some lame concept art slide-shows. The only good thing about it was the funny story, a few funny lines, and the funny ending. I better end this rant before I make it multi-paragraph. ;)

At World's End [PS2]: The dice games were fun. The gameplay was boring, and so was finding all thirteen whores in Tortuga. The voice acting wasn't as

bad as LoJS, but it was still pretty bad. The last level was murder.

At World's End [PS3]: I swear, if I have to watch Will's life meter any more while watching my own, I WILL kill something, and it won't be pixels, either! It was so repetitive I fell asleep several times in the middle of some pitched single-player battles--and still came out alive! The graphics were good, though. :) The voice acting was about the same as the PS2 version. The Calypso pieces I desperately searched every level for only unlocked what may be the worst voice in game history telling me a story I already knew. I couldn't replay levels with different characters. All-in-all, a major disappointment. I will give it one thing, though--Will actually looked like Will. :p

Miscellaneous

Tomb Raider: Underworld: Wonderful game! I love it! There are many gut-wrenching moments for me, since I am incredibly afraid of heights, and the sharks will never cease to freak me out. Still in the middle of the last level, but I love the story so far! The new Lara looks a thousand times better than the old ones. The music is the best in the series.

Lair: Only played the first level so far, so I can't say much. The controls are awkward (I can attest to that after many, many hours of the tutorials), but the graphics or great and the music is even better. :) I have high hopes.

I wonder if anyone will actually bother to read all the way through this? :p

TSL - Really fun game and an improvement techincally, but inferior to KOTOR due to extensive emo-ness from everybody. I like how NPCs can be trained as Jedi in 2 seconds and then never have anything to say to you again. But I guess that goes well with the motif of the final stretch where you just fight wave after wave of the same enemy with no story whatsoever. I'm glad that Revan failed in the Unknown Regions though...

I take it, then, that you never bothered to tap the wellspring of closure in dialogue form that were the last words Kreia ever spoke to the Exile. The last mission was a slaughterfest, yes, and more could have been done with other characters, yes. But to say that there was no story is either an expression of misinformation, or a reflection of your inability to play the game to its utmost extent, and get every single peice of dialogue out of that woman. She ended the game quite nicely, imo.

Laughable, neither company is "dying," especially not Nintendo, heck Wii Sports just recently became the best selling game of all time. Nintendo dying? If anything Nintendo was dying with the GCN (which in itself is a stretch) and the Wii just zapped them back to life. Now for the sake of argument let's say the Wii was a failure, Nintendo and the DS would still be laughing at the thought of death. Oh and Resistance isn't that good, it's fun, but so is flicking boogers aimlessly.

Let me rephrase that. Nintendo as a reputable gaming franchise is dying. Nintendo as a bull**** line of virtual workout games and casual gaming ploys will do just fine, I think. The Wii was a failure not for a lack of quality in the console, but for a lack of ACTUAL games (Wii Sports is arcade material at best). The DS has basically acted, by and large, in similar ways that the PSP worked for Sony. A port for old, recycled games, and pointless puzzle games that get boring after an hour. So no, the DS isn't amazing, sorry, no.

Both Nintendo and Sony decided they'd be clever, abandon the gaming community, and hit mainstream. If they aren't dying as companies, they're dying as gaming franchises that actually make games. Let them join Apple in selling out to the majorty of morons on this earth, but they aren't going to be what they were in my eyes.

Lord of the Rings

The Two Towers: Terrible gameplay. Mediocre levels. Annoying parts where you need that one combo that looked completely useless before. The graphics weren't that great either (at the time I played it). All-in-all, fun to play once in a blue moon.

The Return of the King: Fun; the gameplay was far improved since the second game. I rarely play it.

I actually liked both the Two Towers and the Return of the King. I liked the visuals and boss battles (Lurtz and the cave troll were sweet) from TT. And I remember I beat RotK on the day it came out. That game was so awesome. I feel nostalgic thinking about those games. :p

I need to get my hands on a PS2 and get these games. :p

SW Bounty Hunter:I don't care what anyone says, I think it is one of the greatest Star Wars games of all time.

Yeah! Eat that X-PLAY!

Oh, and while Everquest's main menu babe was a nice set of T&A to behold...I was not impressed. It bites my Hairy @$$. So if you liked it--bite me!

Back Yard Wrestling 1&2...hey, while they do leave a lot to be desired, having a cast of stars of underground music like Andrew WK, ICP (yes I like them, SHUT UP) and stuff like that...it's just awesome to mix in with a good old time smacking your opponent senseless with a chair, doing a shooting star press through a table, and clobbering one of the annoying bystanders throwing trash at you with a fluorescent light tube. Ah, such good memories.

Yes I partook in some of those for real. Fun stuff. Never knew road signs dented so easily... or painfully on the other end. :devsmoke:

I take it, then, that you never bothered to tap the wellspring of closure in dialogue form that were the last words Kreia ever spoke to the Exile. The last mission was a slaughterfest, yes, and more could have been done with other characters, yes. But to say that there was no story is either an expression of misinformation, or a reflection of your inability to play the game to its utmost extent, and get every single peice of dialogue out of that woman. She ended the game quite nicely, imo.

It would all have been so much better if your party members were there as well (as was intended). Also, some cutscenes with Kreia and Sion were either shortened or cut completely. And the absence of the HK factory makes the whole Remote/GOTO scene nonsensical; it would've been so much better if HK-47 could be present.

If all of the above things were there, I could easily say, "This game has a great ending!" And I will... once TSLRP comes out. :D

It would all have been so much better if your party members were there as well (as was intended). Also, some cutscenes with Kreia and Sion were either shortened or cut completely. And the absence of the HK factory makes the whole Remote/GOTO scene nonsensical; it would've been so much better if HK-47 could be present.

If all of the above things were there, I could easily say, "This game has a great ending!" And I will... once TSLRP comes out. :D

This is totally irrelevant to me. Yes, I would have enjoyed a more coherent ending to the Remote subplot, but I can live without it. And you didn't need the other members of your party to learn about their fates, the fate of the galaxy, what path you could take, what would happen to the planets you visited, how the galaxy was different for your Character's actions. Would I have enjoyed party members coming together for a final showdown and talk? Yes. Does it detract from the fact that the story ended very well if you spoke to Kreia instead of just killing her/letting her die?

Not at all.

This is totally irrelevant to me. Yes, I would have enjoyed a more coherent ending to the Remote subplot, but I can live without it. And you didn't need the other members of your party to learn about their fates, the fate of the galaxy, what path you could take, what would happen to the planets you visited, how the galaxy was different for your Character's actions. Would I have enjoyed party members coming together for a final showdown and talk? Yes. Does it detract from the fact that the story ended very well if you spoke to Kreia instead of just killing her/letting her die?

Not at all.

To each their own. Her final speech was great, but the path leading to it was not. All that you did on Malacor was to kill everyone present (which I could ignore if all of the things I mentioned in my previous post were there) and witness a few cutscenes that raised more questions than answers.

That's the biggest beef I have with the ending.

OK, let's see...

Tomb Raider Underworld - The graphics is great, the story is decently interesting, but in the end what it came down to was kicking everyone's ass with a hammer version of the Excalibur from Legend (even the swinging animations are the same). More importantly, the game is way too short - just when you get into it, you realize you've reached the end.

NFS Undercover - the story is as shallow as ever, but the game is a lot more fun than ProStreet. Unfortunately, it also becomes extremely unrealistic from the moment you get yourself a Bugatti Veyron. I mean, come on, it's the fastest car in the world, yet it's easily beaten by a friggin' Porsche. WTF??

The Witcher - Great story, nice gameplay, but it definitely needs more weapon and armor diversity. Yeah, sure you can imbue your sword with various ores and stones, but there's no visual change and thus no feeling that you've done anything to improve your weapon.

GTA4 - One of the best games in 2008. A bonus for me is that I get to play as a Serbian character (being from Serbia and all), but they should have hired a Serbian, or at least a Croatian actor to do the voice, considering all the Serbian phrases he uses during the game. To the guy's credit, he pronounced them pretty decently, considering he doesn't speak Serbian. Not to mention that American filmmakers and game developers seem to be utterly talentless when it comes to Serbian names. Niko is not a Serbian name, it's not even a nickname! Don't even get me started on Florian, or Roman - whoever thought those two are Serbian names should be hanged by his/her nipples.

Mirror's Edge - very nice, very original, but too short. As for that remark about doing more shooting than running that someone made - not true. I find it was about 2% shooting/fighting and 98% running/jumping.

Since most everything has been covered already I'll just skip to the topic that will have me discredited and verbally raped and assaulted. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time: I guess I just don't get it, I'm not saying it sucked because certainly it didn't, I just don't see where it gets all this greatest game ever praise from. Maybe it's because I didn't play it when it first came out so I'm skewed...

*assaults Mav* :xp:

I don't know, for when it was released I thought it was amazing. Of course, if you didn't play it during that time then you may have been jaded because you would have played later technology games first.

I can certainly agree with that.

Let them join Apple in selling out to the majorty of morons on this earth, but they aren't going to be what they were in my eyes.

Woah, why the apple hate?

_EW_

I actually liked both the Two Towers and the Return of the King. I liked the visuals and boss battles (Lurtz and the cave troll were sweet) from TT. And I remember I beat RotK on the day it came out. That game was so awesome. I feel nostalgic thinking about those games. :p

I need to get my hands on a PS2 and get these games. :p

I would've liked TT a lot better if I'd know that I had to have the Rising Strike or whatever it was to kill Lurtz. I played through those first few levels about ten times before I figured it out. :eek Also, the fact that Legolas was practically impossible to kill any tough enemies with was just--awful. Legolas is my favorite in the books and the movies! :p

Still don't like the gameplay. ;)

RotK was really, really good, though. 'Specially with a fully leveled Gandalf/fully leveled Legolas at your disposal. :D

GTA4 - One of the best games in 2008. A bonus for me is that I get to play as a Serbian character (being from Serbia and all), but they should have hired a Serbian, or at least a Croatian actor to do the voice, considering all the Serbian phrases he uses during the game. To the guy's credit, he pronounced them pretty decently, considering he doesn't speak Serbian. Not to mention that American filmmakers and game developers seem to be utterly talentless when it comes to Serbian names. Niko is not a Serbian name, it's not even a nickname! Don't even get me started on Florian, or Roman - whoever thought those two are Serbian names should be hanged by his/her nipples.

The character is Croatian, not Serbian. Sorry.

Niko's ethnicity is never definitively identified, not even by the game's creators. He could very well be either Croatian or Serbian, so your statement is wrong.

Source: Electronic Gaming Monthly March 2008

I believe that's mine now, thanks.

*snort*

Let's see here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croatian_War_of_Independence

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kosovo_War

How could Niko be a teenager and fight in a war that was in 1998-1999? Alternatively, it's been 17 years since the Croatian war for independence started. Niko could very well have fought in that as a teenager. It's very unlikely that Niko was Serbian, so it's assumed that he's Croatian. It makes historical sense, and him being Serbian doesn't.

Clarifying note: Both Serbians and Croatians are considered to be "Serbs", so this is less a discussion of ethnicity and more a discussion of nationality.

Wrong? Not really.

:iceburn:

You can keep that.

Archived