Home

A Thread In Which We Commit Gamer Assisted Suicide (Confess Unpopular Gamer Opinions)

Boba Rhett

Do as the title says. List gaming views you have that you feel may be somewhat unpopular with most of the general gaming community.

Ground Rule: Feel more than free to comment on others views but keep it friendly or you're out of here. Seriously. They're just games.

I'll start this off.

Fallout 3: I love a lot about this game but the ending is unforgivable. Far worse than even Bioshock's ending. Someone really needs to start writing game scripts for Bethesda.

Mass Effect:, A fun game but how is it that Bioware took steps backward in almost every aspect when you compare this to what they accomplished in KotOR? Dialogue chains that pale in comparison to what we got in earlier stuff, boring weaponry (How many different guns does Mass Effect have? Four? And the upgrades are no fun at all.), and a lot of other aspects of this game just struck me as generic. Oh and, holy crap, I almost forgot to mention the Mako's driving around levels. I hope someone lost their job for that idea. Surprisingly, I didn't mind the fifty million elevators.

Super Smash Brothers (Any): Not fun. Very Annoying. Kill me now. Just do it.

Mario Kart (After the SNES version): Fun for a while until your rage manifests into a boiling pitch like substance which begins to seep out of your ears, coalescing on the floor into a small being with rudimentary motor skills which proceeds to scurry out the room to begin what surely must be an unholy work.

Oblivion: If played for the main quest and without any mods installed, this is one of the most boring games ever dreamed up by mankind.

Grand Theft Auto: I've tried to love this series. I've really tried but the only one of them I've had anything resembling "fun" in was III.

Halo 2 and 3: Meh. Hell, I haven't even finished Halo 3. Does that tell you enough?

The Force Unleashed: Sadly, this was one of the most fun games to come out in 2008. Despite it even heavily featuring Quick Time Events, which I believe to be a pox on game-kind.

Portal: This game surely must have been devised by some sort of cabal of Wizards. I still loves me some Portal.

Assassin's Creed: Is one of the more finely crafted games of the last decade.

Over-the-Side-Shoulder Camera Views: Ones like in the Gears of War games, Dead Space, etc. Yeah. Borderline unplayable. They're just god-awful. I cannot wait until games stop using them.

The Duke (Original Xbox Controller): Was and shall forever be the greatest game controller until neural and/or crotch interfaces are perfected.

Super Mario Bros. The Movie: I like it. I love it. I want some more of it.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shadow of the Colossus: Probably one of the greatest game ideas ever, but god damnit some of the design choices just boggle me. For example, the hint system for when fighting a colossus. Either give me a better hint, or don't make me run around like a retard for 5 minutes before giving me the cryptic s***ty ones that you do give me. Also, **** the camera system, as well as whoever thought it was a good idea to let your chracters endurance run out and make you fall off.

That's probably the only one I really have atm.

As for the Hamburger/Duke controller, the main reason I liked it was for the thumbsticks. When I got my Xbox, I bought a used Duke from Gamestop, and I loved it, but it still didn't really feel quite right. Then I popped open my controllers and swapped the thumbsticks on em, and found out that an S-Type controller with the Duke thumbsticks was like a gift from god.

If I could find my old Xbox controller, I would honest to god grind down the plastic on the duke thumbsticks to make them work with the 360's controller :(

EDIT: oh god, me want ;_;

DSC01737.jpg

I fail to see the draw of Gears of War. I bought this game for the PC when it was released and just couldn't get into it, so off it went to ebay. Then, I decided that the millions of people couldn't be wrong, and maybe it's just not made for PC, so I got it for xbox out of the bargain bin. Still, it just doesn't suck me in. It looks good. It SHOULD be fun, but that mystical thing that makes me play a game to completion is missing. So, my second copy of Gears is collecting dust.

Also, I never made it through the demo of Bioshock. Just didn't like it.

Dead Rising. Great concept, Zombies+Shopping Mall = have fun?

No. What I get is load times. Lots and lots of load times. Several pieces of a puzzled script. No check points, and guess what, when you die, you start all over again. I hated it. Then I got a HDTV, and tried it again. I still hate it. Load your guns for my next rant:

Left 4 Dead.

This game was all over gaming community news as the be all/end all MP game of the decade. Again Zombies, but this time FPS action, and you have to work together to survive. Sounds great on paper, but playing the final product to me seemed more like a Half-Life 2 mod. Very generic, boring, and just not really that fun to play at all. Well it proved one thing. Zombies +Video games = teh suk. Shoot me. Do it!

Call of Duty: World At War

Call of Duty (teh first one) was at one point, my favorite online PC game. Call of Duty 2 was to die for on 360. Call of Duty 3 seemed like a paint by the numbers affair, and at this point, have we not done the WWII games too many times already? Call of Duty 4 had a really crappy MP game, but the SP game really sucked me in, and the modern combat graphics really raised the bar for all shooters. Now we get Call of Duty: World At War, and this time TA-DA! Back to WWII again! And this time, if you complete the game, you unlike a MP mode that involves guess what?....ZOMBIES!!! Now that is just capital! I refuse to rent, or play this game on general principals. Go ahead shoot me some more, I can no longer feel the pain!

Mass Effect:

I am done with Bio-Ware games. I guess this is either a love it or hate it thing. I tried Mass Effect, and I was instantly bored into a coma. Seriously, I was playing this game, and my eyes started wandering. I even nodded out a couple of times. I guess I just hate heavy text based RPGs. I would have more fun with one of those R.L. Stein books. I hear there is a Mass Effect 2 under development. I wonder if the collector's version comes with a pillow and some warm milk? Fire away, I don't care.

Fallout 3: I love a lot about this game but the ending is unforgivable. Far worse than even Bioshock's ending. Someone really needs to start writing game scripts for Bethesda.

I ended the game last night, yes, you heard right, I said "ended" rather than completed, this is because I got no sense of achievement from getting to the end of the game.

I couldn't agree with you more, I loved the game but the ending was just rubbish.

I just wrote a huge (and spoilerific) rant on another forum (CSC, top userbar in sig) about this.

Other game views I have that may prove unpopular is that GTA is boring drivel. There, said it. I haven't been able to do more than a few missions on any GTA game I have tried (mainly 1 and 3) before giving up out of boredom. Maybe IV is different, but I'm not even going to give it a go.

Oh, and Halo is hugely overrated. My brother tells me this is because I haven't played multiplayer, but if the only good part of the game is the MP, why not just play the even better Unreal Tournament?

Oh, and (sorry, they just keep popping into my head) consoles should stop trying to be PCs, they are not good at it. If you want a PC get a PC.

I may piss off a lot of people here. I'm not gonna make any excuses, these are my opinions so you can go cry in a corner for all I care if make fun of your favorite game. Also, get ready of a copious amount of 4 asterisks in a row. ****

In order of when I think of it:

Final Fantasy VII: Sucks and no one cares if you have a stiffy for Aeris/Cloud/Sephiroph.

Final Fantasy In General: Characters suck, gameplay sucks, story sucks, cliche and boring grind fests.

Super Smash Brothers: ****ty controls make this game damn near unplayable for me.

The Wii In General: Is poisoning our gaming culture. 40 million sold yet no one is buying any real games. We've got people being amazed by the graphics of Wii Sports' Golf courses, and they'll never know better.

Gears of War 1 and 2: Seriously, why does everyone piss themselves over that game?

Assassin's Creed: Repetitive my ass, people who don't like it have no imagination or interest in exploration. One of my favorite games.

Skate: Again, I've heard of people complaining about it's complexity, keeping them from 'doing anything cool', well then - you're obviously missing the point.

Mirror's Edge: People tore this game apart for being **** bungled in anger. I have to admit that fighting enemies was never that fun unless it was only one or two baddies at a time, but ****, I never got lost/stuck for more than a few minutes. I started the game with visual hints off, which made the game very organic feeling. And when you're in a flow, this game is ****ing fantastic.

Halo 2 and 3: Halo 1 was ****ing awesome. But it all went to **** in the two sequels.

World of Warcraft: **** IT. Okay, I can see how it may become a social thing for those who are really into it, but ****, that game ruins people. Also, you can get people arrested, so that's great, too.

Wind Waker: I love those ****ing graphics, I remember being one of the cel-shading haters, but dammit, when I eventually played it myself years later, I found out that the art design is fan-****ing-tastic. The next Zelda game should be like that!

BioShock: That game is ugly and so damn fake feeling. The art style is horrible, and the character design is ugly as sin. The gun fighting is horrible. The game is over rated as all hell.

Edit:

Banjo-Kazooie Nuts and Bolts: Don't listen to da haters, that game is solid!

Oooobviously since you've never played Halo multiplayer then you're qualified to make quantitative judgments about the superiority of Unreal Tournament over Halo. :dozey:

I have played some. Maybe half an hour of Halo 2 MP, it seemed pretty standard to me.

It just seems to me that if the MP is the only bit people like (as my brother says when defending Halo) then why include a single player game when they could have spent the resources developing better MP. The Single player (which I did play through a fair few missions of halo 2 (once I got the hang of that stupid controller)) is definitely very poor, well below the standards I have come to expect from a shooter (but then I play most of my games on PC so what do you expect).

These opinions are meant to be controversial aren't they?

In order of when I think of it:

Gears of War 1 and 2: Seriously, why does everyone piss themselves over that game?

My sentiments exactly.

Assassin's Creed: Repetitive my ass, people who don't like it have no imagination or interest in exploration. One of my favorite games.
Exactly. One of my favorite parts of thew game was swan diving off of a 300-foot tall chapel, and living to tell the tale by landing in a hay bale. Awesome.

Mirror's Edge: People tore this game apart for being **** bungled in anger. I have to admit that fighting enemies was never that fun unless it was only one or two baddies at a time, but ****, I never got lost/stuck for more than a few minutes. I started the game with visual hints off, which made the game very organic feeling. And when you're in a flow, this game is ****ing fantastic.

Combat is a little awkward, but otherwise, awesome in general.

World of Warcraft: **** IT. Okay, I can see how it may become a social thing for those who are really into it, but ****, that game ruins people. Also, you can get people arrested, so that's great, too.

Jeez, where do I begin with this? I know people who do nothing but sit and play WoW for days on end, until they have to get off thier fat butts and, you know, eat. Breathe. Exercise and keep your heart from clogging with Doritos. Sadly enough, I go to a school for nerds, and even there, the fat guys who play WoW and nothing else are teased for playing it.

Oblivion: If played for the main quest and without any mods installed, this is one of the most boring games ever dreamed up by mankind.

However, with mods, it becomes very, very, VERY awesome.

Halo 2 and 3: Meh. Hell, I haven't even finished Halo 3. Does that tell you enough?

I liked Halo 3, but the people who play it made me stop out of sheer stupidity.

I stopped playing H3 4 months ago because there are too many retarded ten-year-olds asking me to stop playing the game to help them get achievements. Then there are just retards in general, people don't play and take up a spot on the server, and then there are the people, who for some reason, are playing the game and telling people to go play something else. Once you get around these idiots, the multiplayer becomes really fun.

Though this may/may not be gamer suicide, but any Sonic game made after Sonic Adventure 1 (read: 3D) is absolute crap. SA1 was kinda buggy, and Tails was lame, but it had good music and it was playable.

I loved Gears 1 and 2, can't wait for 3.

I don't really get all the hype of Halo. Tried playing it and couldn't get interested.

Assassin's Creed was great in all, but it's too repetitive. Though, gameplay is good nonetheless.

BioShock is easily my favourite rental game. I don't think I've had more fun with any game that I've rented.

The Halo and Gears of War series are very overrated. Not saying I don't like the games, just that they are overrated.

Left 4 Dead. Great game if you play with friends who you know well, can play seriously and just mess around with. Terrible game if you play with people who you don't know and don't talk.

World of Warcraft. I loved it before the Burning Crusade. Now I just want it to end. I don't think it's a bad game, it has just lost its "pizzaz" to me.

Halo 2/3 - **** it. boring as ****.

World of Warcraft - Hearing people bring up this game, unless bashing, enrages me. I cannot believe how ****ing boring/lame this game is and can't understand why people can play it.

GTA IV - Apparently people don't like this one as much as the previous ones, but I still think its the best since GTA II

Nintendo DS - Sorry, I can't look at this thing without thinking "horrible gimmick". I also cant say anything good for the games for it either, although I've never really been a portable gaming person (unless you count being like 9 years old etc)

Ported, relatively new games. I'm sorry, but I dont really like the idea of recycled content. With a few exceptions, but in general, nahhh.

Guitar Hero/ Rock Band, sans friends - I'm sure some of you are about to combust but i find these games generally ****ing boring.

Call of Duty 3/4/5 - Old. Call of Duty 4 was fun online with friends for a bit then became increasingly boring. Now I hate the game. 5 I'm not even bothering with.

Gears of War 1/2 - Over the shoulder perspective - **** that.

Steam - Everyone always complains about steam, I love steam.

FPS games on consoles in general - Mouse/Keyboard = better. I will not argue about this.

Force Unleashed - My friend had this game, I played it for a bit, and found it intensely boring. Same goes for Fable 2.

New games in general - Maybe its just me, but they seem to be getting less and less interesting and more and more hyped.

Call of Duty 3/4/5 - Old. Call of Duty 4 was fun online with friends for a bit then became increasingly boring. Now I hate the game. 5 I'm not even bothering with.

3 sucked, 4 was sort of original and fun for a time, and 5 is just the 4 engine with WWII guns.

Steam - Everyone always complains about steam, I love steam.

Steam is awesome, it's like Xbox Live on your computer. It only screws with hackers and the like. I personally love it.

New games in general - Maybe its just me, but they seem to be getting less and less interesting and more and more hyped.

Agreed.

Left 4 Dead.

This game was all over gaming community news as the be all/end all MP game of the decade. Again Zombies, but this time FPS action, and you have to work together to survive. Sounds great on paper, but playing the final product to me seemed more like a Half-Life 2 mod. Very generic, boring, and just not really that fun to play at all. Well it proved one thing. Zombies +Video games = teh suk. Shoot me. Do it!

I saw you calling this out in the Very Good Thread, and I was wondering, did you play with 3 other friends? Because that makes all the difference in the world. Of course, to have that as a prerequisite to have fun in a game could be a fault in itself, but me and my regular crew enjoy the hell out of it, and have been playing it since it came out.

Uhhh... Da_Man... are you gonna put your own opinions or just comment on ours? : P

I did. I said that any 3D Sonic game after Sonic Adventure 1 was crap. But that might not be controversial at all. But I did think SA1 was pretty good. At the very least it was playable.

I am now going to comment on other people's opinions and games they have mentioned.

Super Smash Bros. - I find this series very, very enjoyable. I've never owned a Nintendo console, but for months after one of these games come out I'll be playing it for hours with my friends well into the night. It is one of the most balanced fighting games I've ever played, the level design is very enjoyable, and I don't understand what everyone's gripe is about the controls--they're fine. A is a normal melee hit, B is a special. Pressing the stick in different directions changes the move. That's pretty much all there is to it.

Steam - Best thing to hit PC Gaming that I can remember. It's the only form of anti-piracy that I condone, and thus the only PC games I've bought in recent history have been bought through steam. The downloads are fast, the interface is slick and simple, the friends system works, the voice chat is nice, it is very lightweight, which is a great plus.

Call of Duty 2&4 - Loved them. Especially 4. The Single Player, at least. I've never played MP CoD, but that's not important. CoD4 is one of the most immersive shooters I've ever played. I'm a total audiophile, and turning off the lights and cranking up the surround sound is an incredible experience. The storyline is intriguing, and I actually started caring about the main characters, even though there isn't really any actual character development.

Final Fantasy VII - Great game. Highly enjoyable, and excellent for its time. Was it the best Final Fantasy game? Hell no. I know most people disagree with me for this, but I loved FF8. I thought the characters were much more enjoyable, but more importantly I loved the Junction system. The concept of drawing magic from enemies and then equipping it to your stats was ingenious, and I think it was infinitely better than having Magic Points. But most importantly, I've never cared about Characters like I did during Final Fantasy 8. Aries' death in FF7 didn't really bother me. But when Rinoa goes cold for that portion of disc 3 in FF8 I was in agony.

Grand Theft Auto: I haven't played GTA4 yet. So I can't comment much on that, but I think it looks fantastic. As for the others, I played countless hours of San Andreas and I love it to death. The RPG elements were included very nicely, but much more importantly the game was just incredibly entertaining. Its easily one of the funniest games I've ever played. Period.

Portal: Pure gold. I loved every second of this game. Honestly, if you haven't played Portal yet, hop on Steam, download it (see? that's why I love Steam so much!), and start playing.

Every Valve Game Ever Released: Buy them. Now. Sames goes with Blizzard (Minus WoW. That will steal your life).

Halo(s): Fun. I spent countless hours playing mp with my friends on the original, but I agree with Jon Hill completely when I say that Unreal Tournament will always beat Halo.

The guns, the pacing, the level design, just about everything. Then again, it also depends on what you are looking for. If you don't want an all out, ridiculously fast paced shooting spree, you won't care for UT. In those cases I usually turn to Counterstrike, not Halo.

Well, that's all I got for now, really. But to be honest I've been playing a lot less video games recently. It's become harder and harder for me to finish games. I pick them up, get really excited for a few hours then stop (like with the new Prince of Persia), or I don't have the will to get past a long-winded tutorial. It actually kind of sucks :/

I'm not a huge fan of the GTA series. Really I find some of the gameplay to be pretty shallow. I have not tried GTA IV yet and I'd like to still try it because maybe it is better in the areas where I didn't care for the other games as much but overall the series doesn't do that much for me.

I have only recently got a 360 so haven't played much but I think Halo 3 is a pretty enjoyable online game even though I suck compared to the people who play online nonstop, campaign was alright since I played it co-op too. Nothing really groundbreaking but the maps and weapons and overall gameplay I could see why people play it so much.

Assassin's Creed - I agree with some of you in this thread, an excellent game and one of my favorite games of the past couple years. Don't care if the gameplay is repetitive as it's fun enough to keep me interested, and there is so much you can do besides the main storyline.

Tomb Raider - I think each game has gotten better in the most recent trilogy, and all 3 of them being better than any previous TR game with Underworld as the best TR game yet. I could just not get the controls and camera down in the early TR games, and while yes the camera is still a pain in the ass, I think the overall gameplay has improved by a ton. To be honest I don't know how the franchise has survived long enough to get to where it is as the old games like TR2 and Angel of Darkness suck.

Wii - Still the best console out of the 3 current gen consoles, but so much potential gone to waste. One could have the argument all day long about whether the console itself makes it best or the games on it and I can look at it from both ways I suppose. Only looking at the console the Wii is the best, it is just unfortunate we get all this shovelware **** being released by Ubisoft and every other company out there for your grandparents and teenage girls. If developers took the Wii seriously and made exclusive third party titles for it it would start to rival the 360 and PS3 in the core/hardcore gamer market. But looking at the games, while Wii definitely has some great ones, 360 wins by far.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 - I could go on all day about what I don't like about this game. I'll just copypasta some of my post from Ahto.

Most of this is very little but it really detracts from it I think.

- Jumping. I do not think the apprentice could even jump as high as the Jedi can jump in BF, and it's ridiculous for clone troopers to be able to jump better than an NBA player. Even droids can jump that high!

- Music. Sometimes it plays appropriate tracks but I think the one that bugs me the most is in the Mos Eisley map, it plays the Cantina theme which sounds ridiculous during a battle.

- Heroes battle. I do not like that you can have Anakin Skywalker and Darth Vader in the same battle. Or any characters that do not make sense being together.

- Space battles. Overall I'm sure the space combat is alright, but again little things bug me, like how you can pilot a droid starfighter, when the ship itself is a droid, there is no pilot.

I could go on and on about this stuff but these are the ones that bug me the most.

These are off the top of my head but if I can think of any more I'll post them.

Archived