Home

Missiles

K_Kinnison

THis is more Prequel vs OT but there are some bits of EU in it so here it is.

In the original trilogy we only see two times where "Missiles" are used. During the battle of Yavin and the Photon Torpedoes. And the Battle of Endor when the M. Falcon fires on the reactor.

Note: Wedge either had no Proton torpedoes when in the Reactor chamber, or the "blast" from that would cause frag damage and he couldn't use them.

In the Prequel trilogy we have several times long range, anti-starfighter self-guiding missiles were used to fire on enemies. Jango Fett vs Obi-wan in AotC. The "Buzz bombs" used against Anakin and Obi-wan in RotS

In the X-wing novels, we have many instances where Photon Torpedoes follow the same idea as they do in the X-wing series of games. That is they are "fire and forget" warheads.

One theory I have thought of was that the OT was in a sort of "dark age" after 20 or so years of Imperial rule. the Micronization of guidance systems and engines had degraded to the point that it was no longer feasible or cost effective to use them as Anti-starfighter weapons. especially for the Rebellion, it wasn't until after RotJ that it was again feasible to use them

Just some of my thoughts, trying to make sense of the mess

The Rebellion had to get everything themselves they weren't funded by anybody, the Empire had a crapload of money(but built crappy fighters,jeez) so the everything the Rebellion has was stolen form the Empire, missiles were very hard to come by. Missiles are also more often used by Bounty Hunters anyways.

• What evidence suggests the "dark ages" were during the prequal, and not during the OT?
  • What evidence suggest that bounty hunters were the only ones to really use self-guiding anti-star fighter missiles?

I am all for a discussion, but if you are going to make a statement of Fact, I would really like to hear some evidence or examples to support them (and I do not consider ANY video game to be a reliable source of information)

Uh hello .. blocky mass produced ships in the OT. No holonet in the OT (it was ursurped by the Empire for it's use only) General oppression by a despot. Alien oppression and inequality. certain goods made illegal or strictly limited for use by the public (Bacta, drugs, spice, etc)

Heck, the only real valuables the rebel alliance had at the battle of Yavin was Hard currency in the form of precious metals. The only time that happens is when you have a poor economy and no reliable currency to use in the form of Reserve used by the government

Uh hello .. blocky mass produced ships in the OT.

"Blocky mass produced" ships, as opposed to what? There weren't "blocky mass-produced" ships in the years before?

No holonet in the OT (it was ursurped by the Empire for it's use only)

What else would you expect when under martial law?

General oppression by a despot. Alien oppression and inequality. certain goods made illegal or strictly limited for use by the public (Bacta, drugs, spice, etc)

I don't see how oppression from a despot is a sign of a dark age. For that matter, I also think it should be noted that Palpatine was viewed by the galaxy at large as a monarch who was becoming increasingly isolated from his duties. Also, how is outlawing drugs and spice a bad thing?

I also see no evidence anywhere that the Empire restricted use/distribution of bacta.

Heck, the only real valuables the rebel alliance had at the battle of Yavin was Hard currency in the form of precious metals. The only time that happens is when you have a poor economy and no reliable currency to use in the form of Reserve used by the government

Another time that happens is when you're a loosely-organized group of terrorists, dissidents, smugglers, and other rebels. The Alliance was not a government. Again, you don't provide a source for your statement about what type of currency the rebellion had.

My dictionary gives two [potentially relevant] definitions of a dark age:

1. "An era of ignorance, superstition, or social chaos or repression." - I don't see much of that during the reign of the Empire. There's not much ignorance or superstition to speak of, and there certainly couldn't have been any more repression as there was during the Clone Wars.

2. "The early or crude stage in the history or development of something." - That obviously doesn't apply to the Galactic Civil War.

Archived