Home

Prisioner 6 has made the final escape.

Arátoeldar

Patrick McGoohan who is best known for playing the roles of Secret Agent Man & The Prisoner pasted away last week.

Secret agent man, secret agent man

They've given you a number and taken away your name

Truer lyrics have never been written and sung about two characters. In The Prisoner he played a secret agent that wanted to get out of the game but was held captive in a small seaside village by an unidentified power that wishes to establish the reason for his resignation. In the TV series Secret Agent Man his character was only called by his number.

For you younger folks, his most memorable character was King Edward "Longshanks" I of England in Braveheart.

http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2009/01/rip-patrick-mcg.html

:(

I loved The Prisoner. When I was 13ish my dad used to rent episodes for us to watch at the end of every week. The later ones weren't as good, but I had so much fun seeing the ways the different 2s would use to find out why 6 resigned. Some of them were really clever - I remember one where they tricked 6 into thinking he'd escaped and was back in London while an actor posing as his former superior asked why he resigned. In another episode they pumped 6 full of drugs to make him act like someone else, got a duplicate to mimic him down to his exact mannerisms, and tried to make him forget who he really was.

One of the 2s told him that every man had his breaking point (and that he was no exception), but they never did find out why he resigned. The ambiguity, surrealism, clever methods of getting 6 to talk (they never did anything as crude as torture either), and great acting on McGoohan's part all made it a fabulous TV series to watch. Rest in peace.

For you younger folks, his most memorable character was King Edward "Longshanks" I of England in Braveheart.

http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2009/01/rip-patrick-mcg.html

Now I remember him best from Silver Streak as the villain Roger Devereau... he gets his in the end. ;) (One of my mothers favorite films so I watched it alot when I was younger.)

RIP Patrick...

He was a prolific actor. I remember watching Braveheart on the big screen, and he did a phenomenal job of making Longshanks absolutely despicable. I loved it. For those of you who are Grisham fans, he played Judge in the movie "A Time to Kill".

RIP, Patrick McGoohan

In another episode they pumped 6 full of drugs to make him act like someone else, got a duplicate to mimic him down to his exact mannerisms, and tried to make him forget who he really was.

You mean more drugs than usual? :p

I was under the impression that 6 was heavily medicated during the entire series, which would go a long way toward explaining the surreal atmosphere of the show.

The Prisoner was McGoohan's creation. Even though most of you who have posted in this thread probably already know this, I think that it is worth mentioning that he produced, wrote, directed and starred in that show and it provided an insight to his mind much like Twin Peaks did for David Lynch. The man was a genius.

RIP. :(

Archived