Home

Release Day / The Day of Adumbration

Quente

It is kinnda strange thow. We could see officjal statments about games in the past (JK, JK2, TFU) when they were in werry early stages of development. Wat we saw in the trailer seemed close to being done. Lucasarts should make a statment sooner to build up the hype right?

• 3 weeks later...
Unless E3 suddenly reverted to its old form, I doubt we'll be seeing anything out of it other than a gameplay video for some random console game that most people will ignore

Because right now more people are playing BFront1/2 than Halo am I right? :p

If they want to impress me, nix the Jedi and the fluff and excess from the previous games and make Battlefront III a DECENT SHOOTER that is enhanced by the Star Wars universe, rather than making it a Jedi-battlefront with token soldiers. It's why I prefer the first game. At least I know I get pwned because I fail, rather than because someone spawned as a Jedi. There are games that do lightsabres and the force better, why not revert Battlefront into what it's about: Being a lone grunt in a huge army fighting the behind-the-scenes-battles of Star Wars?

Because right now more people are playing BFront1/2 than Halo am I right? :p

If they want to impress me, nix the Jedi and the fluff and excess from the previous games and make Battlefront III a DECENT SHOOTER that is enhanced by the Star Wars universe, rather than making it a Jedi-battlefront with token soldiers. It's why I prefer the first game. At least I know I get pwned because I fail, rather than because someone spawned as a Jedi. There are games that do lightsabres and the force better, why not revert Battlefront into what it's about: Being a lone grunt in a huge army fighting the behind-the-scenes-battles of Star Wars?

It is not impossible to kill an experienced player playing as a Jedi (or Sith) lord. I say it is a challenge at least when all you do is resort to diving incoming attacks. It is all about how you utilize and monitor your stamina bar.

And if you fail, I am sure that you can try again when you respawn and the possibilities of winning the next match can be more favorable to you.

My favorite btw is the Rifleman.

It is not impossible to kill an experienced player playing as a Jedi (or Sith) lord. I say it is a challenge at least when all you do is resort to diving incoming attacks. It is all about how you utilize and monitor your stamina bar.

And if you fail, I am sure that you can try again when you respawn and the possibilities of winning the next match can be more favorable to you.

My favorite btw is the Rifleman.

Except you shouldnt have to in a game thats supposed to have its focus on infantry combat. Imagine what would happen if Dice decided to add a "superninjavampire" class to 2142 that had vampire health and 3x as much health as normal soldier, and then gave them a 1-2 hit kill weapon. Servers would empty out immediately and the community wouldnt return until the god unit had been removed.

Jawa, that pretty much completely summed it up.

1) Yes, the Heroes have vampire health, which never made much sense to me.

2) Yes, the heroes do have about 3x as much health as the infantry.

3) Yes, the lightsaber kills an infantry player in 1-2 hits, and with saber throw, it doesn't even have to be close range.

The only good way to remove a hero is to either det or mine noob until someone succeeds.

The heroes are the cool part of Battlefront II. The Battlefront 1 and 2 was never 100% infantry based. That would mean it would solider vs solider and no vehicles, starships, etc. There are starships and vehicles in it. There are jawas, ewoks, wookiees, gungans, etc. This is Star Wars and having heroes in it are essential. Otherwise it would be a boring war game. I could not stand those. I got tired of Medal of Honor series. I would hate to have something like that. Having Jedi/Sith, bounty hunters is what makes it star wars. Otherwise, it is generic!

There are starships and vehicles in it. There are Jawas, Ewoks, Wookiees, Gungans, etc.

OK, the vehicles I can deal with because they're obviously part of the game. But honestly, how many times do you hear about Darth Sidious engaging in direct combat in the Death Star? Or hear about Aayla Secura vs. Darth Maul in Jabba's Palace?

And we define infantry as someone who shoots guns. I can deal with Bounty Hunters, too, as long as they don't have the feature now-dubbed "vampire health."

Except you shouldnt have to in a game thats supposed to have its focus on infantry combat. Imagine what would happen if Dice decided to add a "superninjavampire" class to 2142 that had vampire health and 3x as much health as normal soldier, and then gave them a 1-2 hit kill weapon. Servers would empty out immediately and the community wouldnt return until the god unit had been removed.

Don't be rediculous. It seems to me that you are giving me the impression of someone who does poorly on combating players who obtain the Jedi (or Sith) character during gameplay. I say you have issues not of this inability to find a way to kill a challenging foe, but someone who has extreme wounded pride of not being the best all the time.;)

I am sure they (whoever is going to be the director of this project) will not change much from Battlefront 2, and will more likely allow people to make servers having no heroes (or villians) in the game setup. So both side of the coin can play on what they prefer to their likings.

Greetings, all.

With the news of Battlefront III coming, I’ve felt a refreshing feeling of hope for the future of gaming, in the case of my personal tastes. I’ve been a little troubled by the news of the Crytek UK purchase of Free Radical and the troubling rumors of the project being scrapped (which I doubt), let alone some of the most alluring features, such as the land-to-space seamless flight.

Due to the high concentration of opinion-posting occurring (specifically, regarding heroes) in this thread, I have decided that I, too, will print my assho- I mean my opinion, since everyone else seems to be publicizing theirs. For the sake of easier reading, I’m going to reply to some previous posts based on the post content.

-RedTech: I mean no offence to you by this, Veteran Defeat-definer, but I don’t think “they” are necessarily interested in impressing you, but to the mass popular opinion, obviously, to maximize sales. I sincerely feel that the majority of those they have (or will) polled/tested to gain a grip on the greater opinion have not expressed their disinterest in seeing heroes in the fourth installment. I can see where you’re coming from with your thoughts on balance, but I doubt that they’ll revert the BFIII to the “lone grunt behind-the-scenes” concept of the first. It was too heavily marketed as a great new feature for BFII to be removed in BFIII as an improvement. Sure, the Jedi Knight series has mastered simulated saber combat, but does that mean lightsabers have no place on the field of battle in any other game? I don’t think so.

-joesdomain: I only played the first Battlefront once, unfortunately, but I agree that the orbital strike and Cloud City map were great losses when removed. I could see how orbital strike may have been removed for the sake of balance, but from the positive reception, I’m not entirely sure it was a prudent choice. I’ve always loved the Lambda-class shuttle. I don’t know how they sleep at night knowing they put in the Theta-class shuttles in place of the elegant Lambdas. They do have the two Fetts, though, joe. I suppose they didn’t want to overdo the hero aspect of game play by adding the characters that were barely support for the story, like all those compelling bounty hunters. Perhaps a minigame or special map setting on a specific map, like a hero assault, but it's only bounty hunters? Maybe a hunt for someone/thing. Just an idea.

-jawathehutt: Mr. Hutt, I usually silently agree with your posts, since you always speak my opinions before I even get a chance to fully read the topic and form them (minds to the like?), in this case, my personal opinion differs. While I agree completely that the stats of heroes in-game should all be drastically reduced, since the 3x health, 1-2 hit kills, and on top of that; vampiric regeneration, I don’t think they’re out of place in the game at all. If you think about it, the Star Wars plot is primarily character driven, so it would be a sad loss to see them removed.

Also, the features of BFII were obviously meant to shift focus from all ground-infantry/armor tactics to share with hero (large targets) and space combat. The problem is, though, is that it isn’t 2142 or DICE. It’s Battlefront III and LucasArts/Crytek UK. Your hypothetical comparison is not only exaggerated, it’s completely irrelevant in this case. The Star Wars universe is riddled with many canonized characters that move the story along, as well as attract a good portion of the players’ interest into going past the movies. The BFII servers are not empty, but rather the opposite. They’re doing quite well, considering everything. How could that ever occur with 2142? I’ve never played the game myself, but I wasn’t aware of any canon characters that were playable to any extent. If there are, I’d be more than interested to entertain this and other speculations regarding hero potential.

-bokkenblader56: The idea behind vampire health for heroes was to limit their lifespan with the slow drain, but if the hero kills enough troops, they can stay alive longer. That way, you don’t have heroes hiding behind the lines, camping, or relaxing. I do believe, however, that a simple health bar that’s 2-3x the size of a normal infantryman (3 being for the more health-focused heroes, rather than damage/weapon/skill capability). You answered the problem yourself. You require heavy weapons to be rid of an enemy hero.

And in reply to your later post, I agree that Darth Sidious’ frequency of presence in combat was minimal, but how can you say that it isn’t worth casting Force Lightning on some pathetic Rebels as they cower before you!? :lightning But Aayla Secura vs. Darth Maul is highly inappropriate, I agree. Darth Maul should only have been featured in Naboo and maybe Tatooine and/or Coruscant. In the end, like I said above, you have to admit that Battlefront has moved away from infantry focused game play and more for hero use and space combat, which makes the game more interesting as a whole.

-Nietzsche's God: I totally agree with that. I admit I find myself feeling that way at times. :xp:

In finality, I want one thing to be clear to all those who have read my above text in regards to this conversation and to make sure anyone who was smart enough to skip over most (or better yet, all) of it, that:

Heroes are, and will most likely be in the new installment, an OPTIONAL choice in the settings, like many things. Simply find a server with no heroes (which most these days are, including those of my club, IGF, unless the event of that week is hero themed, which rarely happens).

Thank you to all who read some/all of this. I will look forward to reading your replies and criticisms toward my opinion.

Good luck and happy fraggin’. May the Force be with you.

-Evix Jhredmo

Archived