Home

Release Day / The Day of Adumbration

Quente

Good posting, you addressed everything without being rude. But why not just give heroes normal health? I'd settle for that even if it was 3x the amount of a normal unit's. And as for most servers these days being hero-less, the two big ones (Shattered Planet and Jedi Battle Arena) have heroes. Even some of the lesser big ones, such as WGO Order 66, have heroes on them.

And Nietzsche, have you ever been spawn killed multiple times by the same hero spamming saber throw? If you haven't, I recommend you head on out to a populated server and try to kill the hero yourself. Show us all up. And for God's sake, don't get irritated after the first 11 spawn kills.

Yes, that's my feeling, too. Normal health should be fine for them, since every other (not so) living unit looks death in the gaunt visage constantly, why shouldn't heroes be just as afraid? You're right, 3x health wouldn't be so bad if they couldn't recharge back with one or two right clicks (depending on your controls/platform).

[laughs]

I love when that happens. Just camp on the spawn and toss your saber when the next wave comes in. Yum-yum. In all seriousness, though, it gets boring quicker than you can say DEFEAT.

Thank you, bokken.

Lord J, I accept that argument, but as always, don't like it.

I'm just frustrated that LA are so content to depend on the Star Wars name instead of really doing anything that would boot original IPs into the trash can. While obviously they can churn out products to the casual market, they don't get continued sales over extended periods because they just don't have the lengthy appeal of more well established games. Sort of like the EA strategy, but worse since LA don't have the money to just spam games so easily.

I understand. I feel the same way at times. I just wanted to present my own feelings on the subject. By well-established, you mean games like Warcraft III, Half-life and those? Staying power is what makes a good game for all. I agree.

EA... I own all three Battle for Middle-earth games. Rip-off. While I'm a huge Lord of the Rings fan, I found the balance, lag, and patch support appalling. Down with EA. :snear:

Thank you for your reply, Redtech.

I'm honestly in shock that theres a new member who's capable of not only forming a complete sentence, but a good argument, welcome to the community

I agree... I've been here awhile and I still have problems forming a good argument sometimes... :xp:

Welcome to LF... :)

-bokkenblader56: The idea behind vampire health for heroes was to limit their lifespan with the slow drain, but if the hero kills enough troops, they can stay alive longer. That way, you don’t have heroes hiding behind the lines, camping, or relaxing. I do believe, however, that a simple health bar that’s 2-3x the size of a normal infantryman (3 being for the more health-focused heroes, rather than damage/weapon/skill capability). You answered the problem yourself. You require heavy weapons to be rid of an enemy hero.

I know that this is only directed to the wooden swordsman, but I must interject by saying that if they do allow the hero and villians having increased health bar attributes, then all you will have is players doing the very thing as the same as the other players having the other generic classes. That is: hiding behind the lines, camping, or just plain farting around and doing nothing to contribute for the team chances of winning the battle. Unless maybe there can be some kind of a time limit of how long a player can use the heroes. I say it is a stupid idea anyway. So keep the existing vampire health, but have both appear at the same time for both factions during the middle of the game period.

And Nietzsche, have you ever been spawn killed multiple times by the same hero spamming saber throw? If you haven't, I recommend you head on out to a populated server and try to kill the hero yourself. Show us all up. And for God's sake, don't get irritated after the first 11 spawn kills.

I don't let that bother me at all. It is all but a game dude. The only thing it does is make me want to confront the player in the next game session. And yeah, I do make good on my revenge.:shades2:

Eh, I play the game to have fun, and getting spawn camped just isn't my idea of it. And the fact that only one hero ever appears at any one time has always gotten on my nerves. I think they have, on occasion, confronted each other on JBA, but on SP it's usually alternating. But at least this time around it's not like Battlefront where the heroes were practically invincible.

What you're saying makes a lot of sense, and you're right. The vampire health should be more of a drawback than advantage, though. I think this would best be done by nerfing health/damage by a lot. Then regaining health is more of a challenge. Also, that's how heroes spawn. They're both timed to come at the same time, it just depends on how long it takes the awarded player to accept it.

In the end, I agree with you on keeping vampire health, actually, but there should be no 1-2 hit kills whatsoever. Heroes' stats should reflect that they can't just kill everyone, and when they fight, they can die. The only way they die in BFII, right now, is if they've killed everyone in an area and their life runs out before finding new victims. That's not very fun for anyone, especially for balance.

I'm glad to hear you're unscathed. Unfortunately, my home internet is out (which I'm working on restoring in a week or so), but call me on Xfire and we'll hop on a server together once I'm back.

Thank you for your reply. Good luck and have fun.

----------

I totally know what you mean, bokken. I don't think heroes should be able to spawn camp, meaning that I think they're stats should be such that they are best suited with allies, and not so good alone.

Haven't got much more to add than to agree with M@rs' statement! :p

Apart from the usual "down with EA rhetoric" as a hardcore Command And Conquer fan. Anyway, I'm sure that LA know what they're doing, I just hope that they can produce a product that doesn't disappoint, that's really what it's all about.

You know, I do not think it will be long now until we actually hear word of BattleFront 3's coming, mostly due to the fact that the new Lord of the Rings: Conquest game has the nearly the same gameplay as the Battlefront series. Just a theory to explore, but maybe Conquest could be sort've a 'guinea pig' for a new form of Battlefront, we may see something new. But that's just a theory, but we'll probably have that confirmed sometime this year...they have to!:D

Also, welcome to the forums, LordJhredmo! It's always good to have a new addition to the groupen, especially one {as the others have stated} that can form an excellent argument! Welcome!:D

Yeah, the forums almost came alive for a minute.

Haven't got much more to add than to agree with M@rs' statement! :p

Apart from the usual "down with EA rhetoric" as a hardcore Command And Conquer fan. Anyway, I'm sure that LA know what they're doing, I just hope that they can produce a product that doesn't disappoint, that's really what it's all about.

There's a paradox in that sentence, considering what the did to SWBF2.

It's a paradox within a pyramid, now.

Anyway, thank you, CommanderQ. I'm glad to be here.

Thanks, bokken. It's nice to know you're appreciated sometimes. I hope to continue the liveliness, but I doubt that'll take much work. This is a very fine community and I look forward to being an active member of it.

G'day, all.

-Evix

Sorry for taking long to response your generous post. Some people have to work for a living ;)

What you're saying makes a lot of sense, and you're right. The vampire health should be more of a drawback than advantage, though. I think this would best be done by nerfing health/damage by a lot. Then regaining health is more of a challenge. Also, that's how heroes spawn. They're both timed to come at the same time, it just depends on how long it takes the awarded player to accept it.
You failed to forget that the settings can be altered where the player with the lowest score can be awarded the heroes. To me, I find that fair to players who are not as good as other players, and it give them the chance to actually have some kills. Nothing wrong with noobs getting the advantages once in awhile. lol

In the end, I agree with you on keeping vampire health, actually, but there should be no 1-2 hit kills whatsoever. Heroes' stats should reflect that they can't just kill everyone, and when they fight, they can die. The only way they die in BFII, right now, is if they've killed everyone in an area and their life runs out before finding new victims. That's not very fun for anyone, especially for balance.
In the movie, comic books, and the cartoons story lines are all pretty much the same when regarding the saber being the best weapon in combat. You know, they are laser control swords and all. And that to me strike as true to the storyline of the Star Wars Universe. The only grievence i have is the saber-throw. How many times in any stories of Star Wars that had Jedis or Sith lords throwing sabers like a boomerang? Quite rediculous to me I think.

So i think it is realistic in the spirit of Star Wars that heroes can have the ability to kill enemy combatants with one or two hit kills with the swords.

I'm glad to hear you're unscathed. Unfortunately, my home internet is out (which I'm working on restoring in a week or so), but call me on Xfire and we'll hop on a server together once I'm back.
Unfortunately for you, I have given it away to a dear buddy of mine. Which today I found out he sold it for an eighth of an ounce of weed. Rofl.

I might go to Best Buy and get another one. It is only 20 bucks I think.:)

----------

This is why I like new members! They bring life! We were running out of topics...

Unfortunately up until about a month ago most were just people coming to sign a useless online petition or people who would rez a year old topic than disapear for all eternity. And before that... well we'll just leave out the Tyrone affair and the dark ages of this board.

he only grievance i have is the saber-throw. How many times in any stories of Star Wars that had Jedi's or Sith Lords throwing sabers like a boomerang? Quite ridiculous to me I think.

I think it was intended as force push the saber, force pull the saber, or something.

So i think it is realistic in the spirit of Star Wars that heroes can have the ability to kill enemy combatants with one or two hit kills with the swords.

If you put it that way, then a laser shot should probably kill someone in more than 8 hits, too.

It however is not SW realistic that they can take more damage than a tank and vampire health off enemies.

Sorry for taking long to response your generous post. Some people have to work for a living ;)

You failed to forget that the settings can be altered where the player with the lowest score can be awarded the heroes. To me, I find that fair to players who are not as good as other players, and it give them the chance to actually have some kills. Nothing wrong with noobs getting the advantages once in awhile. lol

In the movie, comic books, and the cartoons story lines are all pretty much the same when regarding the saber being the best weapon in combat. You know, they are laser control swords and all. And that to me strike as true to the storyline of the Star Wars Universe. The only grievence i have is the saber-throw. How many times in any stories of Star Wars that had Jedis or Sith lords throwing sabers like a boomerang? Quite rediculous to me I think.

Unfortunately for you, I have given it away to a dear buddy of mine. Which today I found out he sold it for an eighth of an ounce of weed. Rofl.

I might go to Best Buy and get another one. It is only 20 bucks I think.:)

Don't worry and don't be sorry, I understand completely.

Aye. Work=money=bills=internet=your presence. Keep up the good work, mate.

Yes, I "failed to forget" that it can be awarded to the lowest-scoring player. I did keep that in mind. Thank you for noticing that. :^:

I think that everyone here can agree that the lightsaber is the best single combat weapon (a lightsaber does little during an orbital bombardment, eh). Saber throw is overpowered and overused. Regardless of storyline, it destroys game play and balance by making heroes so ridiculous (especially Force-users/lightsaber wielders). I personally believe that game play/balance should take priority over a fictional universe's realism and physics.

With that said, I have to disagree with you and the "spirit of Star Wars," that heroes should be able to slaughter all, while decimating enemies and boosting death counts, as I believe that hero kills don't enter into the score screen's stats... though I may be wrong. :confused:

You ought to go ahead and purchase it again! I want to see you online. Sorry to hear about your friend's affliction.

See you later.

-Evix

Archived