Home

Edna & Harvey: The Breakout (Adventure game)

a.borque

Hello!

I have just finished playing "Edna & Harvey: The Breakout", which is IMHO an outstanding game. It has a LucasArts-like interface, a funny story and -at least in the german version- there are many jokes, wordplays, ...

Since the release of Monkey 4 I have never played such a great game. Has anyone here ever played it? What do you think about it?

After I have noticed that many adventure-games released in Germany were never noticed outside the country (e.g. The book of unwritten tales) here is the URL: http://edna.daedalic.de/?page=3&lang=en .

Yours

A.Borque

On Friday I finished it the second time. :)

Yes it´s very funny. In the first part I think I´m playing Dott. :D But from the church on it´s going to be scary and the story begins and it´s great. Not only a funny game!

Is it out now in English?

My adventure game of 2008 and my surprise game for 2008!

You can make much stuff in the game. The best thing about it: NO standart komments. You can use all things (together) you can use Harvey with things and he says anything, too! And you can TALK to all things. :D

@a.borque Where do you come from?

@Ascovel

I don´t know the demo. But you´re not the only one woh say the demo is not so good. Maybe the wrong part for a demo.

Btw my signature is from Edna and Harcey. ;)

@Ascovel

I don´t know the demo. But you´re not the only one woh say the demo is not so good. Maybe the wrong part for a demo.

Hmm. Now I tempted to pirate the full version so I can try more of the game before ultimately deciding if I want to buy it or not.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
@Ascovel

What do you think about no standart comments? ;)

Basically, they're a nice bonus when they're well written, add to the characters, or provide well thought-out hints, but they're are useless when they're boring. In Edna first of all there are too many useless locations and objects. And the large variety of comments fails to make the mundane exploration fun.

Maybe you'll at least agree that the graphics are ugly and the animations sometimes even fail to show what happened? :)

Anyway, I just escaped the floor with the inmates and found a few new things and locations.

And if you love the non standard comments, Sven, personally I'd recommend the freeware Ben There, Dan That. Even more of them there than in Edna. And the game is also much much better IMO.

Edna is a one human made (!) game.

That's why it pains me that I don't have anything good to say about the game (well, the music is good, although it could use more variety). I'm all for independent adventure games enjoying success, and I don't mind at all paying money for something with modest production values, yet what I see in Edna from the player's standpoint is mostly subpar gameplay and sloppy, nonfunctional visuals.

I admit I am quite tough to please as far as humor goes, so maybe that's the main reason I don't find the experience charming as many do.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived