Home

Modelling an new area!

The discussion thread can be found here: CLICK

Hello again!

EDIT: Part VI uploaded.

I'm back with a new set of tutorials about area modelling and everything envolved around it. Looking back these old vids just don't do it anymore.

As to be expected my own skill has grown a bit and I discovered a lot more about area modelling.

Therefore I decided to make some new vids about the whole thing. Hopefully this will help people or give more experienced modders some tips. Mind this tutorial thing, just shows how I do things. Its my own personal style on how to handle the area modelling... eh.. thing :lol:

What I want to say is that, this isn't what you MUST do. It just worked ok for me so far. If by chance you know better ways of doing this, then by all means enlighten me and your fellow modders! This is all made to send you on your merry way and create awesome new areas to explore in the game.

Anyway to business; I'll keep the links to my old tutorial vids untill everything is covered again in the new vids. After that I'll "kill" them off, so no one can get confused. Cause, well, I'm quiet chaotic :lol:

Well, here's the first new batch of vids; these first six parts deal with making and setting up a walkmesh. Now six parts sounds a lot, well there's a lot to show and talk about, cause walkmeshes are a very important part of your model. Just watch ;)

Walkmesh tutorial:

First 4 parts are in 3Ds Max, how to create your walkmesh and how to work with it in Kaurora.

PART I

PART II

PART III

PART IV

Last 2 parts are about several key files: .vis and .lyt files and the .are, .git and .ifo files.

PART V

PART VI => This one is now uploaded!

Texturing and UVWmapping:

Vid-tutorial in 4 parts, all about how to UVWmap and texture your area.

PARTI

PARTII

PARTIII

PARTIV

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

OLD STUFF

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

The last few days I've been writing down a tutorial on how to model a new area.

This thread is also made to put all the info together I made on this subject.

Last year I made some videos about this aswell. You'll find them all here.

Though these vids are a bit older they should still be very usefull and should complement my writen tutorial.

Though my new written tutorial overrules, there some silly thing I do in my video, mainly about converting the Editable Poly to Editable Mesh as one of the last steps.

That was wrong, convert to editable mesh before you start texturing is my advice now. You'll have less trouble with stretched and ugly textures.

The videos are perhaps more detailed all the way. So if you feel you need to know more look up a video part on that subject. If there is any :lol:

Now the written tutorial also comes with a .mod and a .lyt file.

This is so you can quickly test out your own modelled results.

For more and better detailed info on .mod files for an area have look at this tutorial by my friend Marius Fett:Custome Module

After that peek into my .mod file and laugh :lol:

Okay the link to my tutorial: CLICK

Links to my videos about modelling an area:

Part 1-4: Starting and all about modelling:

PART1

PART2

PART3

PART4

Part 5-8: Texturing the model:

PART5

PART6

PART7

PART8

Part 9-11: Aurorabase, AuroraLight and exporting.

PART9

PART10

PART11

Part 12: The .mod file:

PART12

Part 13: Last details and test run:

PART13

Have fun and good luck with the modding ;)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

END OF OLD STUFF

----------------------------------------------------------------------

• 4 weeks later...

This little thing is all about DOORS.

Not to model them, but creating a hole in the wall where they fit in.

Okay you chumps, I recorded a piece, on how I do holes for doors... most of the times :p

tha link: CLICK MEH YEAAAAAAAAHH

Its without audio, I've added some text pop-ups here and there, just look, m'kay. :lol:

To help my friend Disbeliever I wrote up a little piece about texturing your area, its short though, but it has some helpfull tricks in it.

Here's the link: CLICK ME

Whats in the .zip?

- My 3Ds Max file

- The textures I used for the area

- The word.doc

I have Max 9, so if you got an older version I'm not sure if it will open :(

Though Max 2008 or 2009 should be save I believe.

If it opens and whines about the textures, use the browse button and redirect it!

Archived