Home

Modelling an new area!

Quanon

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is, very simply said, what a .vis does.

Again I never used one... so its still a bit of a mystery for me

That's odd; I couldn't get the tutorial module to load until I made a .vis for it.

After looking at it for a bit, I think I understand exactly how it works.

<room's model name> <number of rooms visible from that room>
 <list of the rooms visible from that room>

It seems to have you list those 3 things for every room, corridor, etc., in your area. For me, it seems pretty self-explanatory. :)

In the case of the tutorial module, I just did this for it and it seemed to work:

QGMTest_01a 0

In the case of the tutorial module, I just did this for it and it seemed to work:

QGMTest_01a 0

Thanks to clear that up.

I'll have to add that extra information to my Tutorial thread.

Its still strange o_Q

I made 4 modules for Silveredge, each without a .vis... without setting a Sundiffuse or Sunambient...

Made 3 modules for Exile007, again without .vis or Sunambient/ Diffuse.

Hmmz, must have a magic PC or something... :p

The vis file is really just to lighten the load on the game engine by limiting the amount of rooms needed to render; there's no point rendering a room you can't see. It's especially helpful on older computers, or ones without snazzy a graphics card...

If your having problems with a blackness then the problem is usually with you not setting light in the module's SunAmbient/Diffuse structs. The alternative is of course to use lightmaps.

• 1 month later...

To help my friend Disbeliever I wrote up a little piece about texturing your area, its short though, but it has some helpfull tricks in it.

Here's the link: CLICK ME

Whats in the .zip?

- My 3Ds Max file

- The textures I used for the area

- The word.doc

I have Max 9, so if you got an older version I'm not sure if it will open :(

Though Max 2008 or 2009 should be save I believe.

If it opens and whines about the textures, use the browse button and redirect it!

Hmm it should look black on the outside( faces are flipped, so they only show on the inside of the box room), but when you move the camera into you should normally get grey or white meshes.

Could you have changed a setting in Max ? Most things are open to be set by the user.

hm... I don't think I changed any settings, I will just re-try this, and see what I get.

What version of 3Ds Max you got ?

I'm not sure how well files from differant version work in other versions... -_- sounds complicated :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
this might be a bit late to ask but where do you get Aurora Editor? and is there a NWmax for the newest 3d max?

Here is the updated thread on all the tools we use to mod the game:

CLICKY

Kaurora is in there, aswell a link to NWmax plugin => there are 2 versions a Gmax one and one for 3Ds Max.

Good luck ;)

Thanks for the tutorials Quanon. I'm starting to learn how to use 3dsmax9 and they are very helpful.

Just so you know I will probably be asking you a bunch of questions from know on...

=P

No problem, that's what this thread is for ;)

As was my reply. :p

Thanks for the tutorials Quanon. I'm starting to learn how to use 3dsmax9 and they are very helpful.

Just so you know I will probably be asking you a bunch of questions from know on...

=P

If you went out and got Max just to mod KotOR, you must be rolling in cash... :p

If you went out and got Max just to mod KotOR, you must be rolling in cash... :p

I wish. It's my brother's(hes the one with the REAL cash). We split the money to buy a new laptop and he installed it on it. I know its better than gmax but I haven't fooled around with it enough to figure out the differences. Looks pretty cool, especially the startup screen ^^.

Nice to see you're still around by the way...

Related to Modding: I've never really modeled in my life before(with the exception of a little of Maya in a course I took bout 2 years ago). I've seen there are many tutorials around...is there one in particular that's recommended for a beginner like me?(besides them tutorials about learning interface n all that). Perhaps a recommended good book?

Perhaps a recommended good book?

3ds Lax Bible! o_Q *Max

There is like a book for each version of the program, it comes with cd/ dvd packed with small tutorials to teach you about the differant tools and gizmos in the program.

I'll be fair, it takes time and practice to get a good grasp of the modelling... thing... to find your work flow :)

It took me a serious 2,5 years to get to a point where I'm sort at "ease" to model small objects.

I got a sort of "click" moment when I did a tutorial on modelling a car.

Its a good way to get to know all the extruding, connecting etc...

Anyway, you can't rush art ;)

Archived