Home

Modelling an new area!

Quanon

ok, managed to haxx myself together the two files i need from some other modules, and there is slightly more success... some objects appear pink now... thats an achievement... but im still going wrong somewheres. also, everyting appears bigger (and pink) but there still is a lot of black clipping areas.

FIX:

the area when lit, apears RED...

the warped-to area on a slant... and a strange pattern on one of the walls... jumbled up objects maybe?

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k13/tims_super_cool/kotor1.jpg

kotor1.jpg

maybe a little point in the right direction? guys?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you make sure to adjust pivot points to center on all objects and resetxform on everything BEFORE you exported out or started texturizing?

Also, open up the ascii file that you export from 3dsm before you run it through kaurora, and look for the field "orientation" make sure it is set to 1.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 if it is not, you will get jack.

ok, that fixed a lot of things. awesome...

i made a NEW box room with no extra bells and whistles, just a box

things are red, obviously something to do with my .are/.ifo files,

and now something about the positioning of my new walls (ie rotation, height)

ill go over this stuff again and get back to the board..

tanks guys :D

new news,

my box has been haxx'd into a actual box, lotsa previous 3dsmax/programming since the first time i tried to mod kotor.

the box is completely square, everything works fine, its a great start!

had to change _ALL_ of the "position" 's of all the walls/floor/roof manually tho...

red light "bug" still, will try to fix now...

FIXED: dodgy red light

an easy .are fix setting the SunAmbientColor and Diffuse to 16777215 (like you were meant to)

thanks Q, great tutorial -- detailed vids too

thanks everyone else for the help :p

gettin back to it ^_^

thanks Q, great tutorial -- detailed vids too

thanks everyone else for the help :p

gettin back to it ^_^

Well SnipeStorm, great to hear this positive news.

A few tips:

- Make sure everything is converted to MESH, not poly.

- Make sure you Resetxform all the meshes, before linking to the Aurorabase.

- The red colour might be because you didn't texture your meshes and so they use a sort of standard material. Depending how your 3ds Max is set, this is mostly white, though other colours are possible.

- borrow/steal the .are and .ifo files from other modules; this is the only way to create or own. To know what goes on in these files, I linked to that tutorial of Marius.

ill try it all again and see where i've gone wrong... it may very well be the mesh or incorrect use of Resetxform.

the red colour is because of SunAmbientColor and SunDiffuseColor in the .are (set to 150 :p), i did steal the .are and .ifo from other module, but thanks.

however the "dead space" that is not in the scene, ie behind the scene, is pink, nice quirk really, im not upset, so whatever.

so, gonna try it all again y'all (using K1 btw)

thanks again, ill drop back with some results maybe...

• 3 weeks later...

quick bump, does it generally matter, to those of you that have accomplished this, in which view you originally place your object... cos upon exporting of more complex environments, some objects are not where they should be.

that is, their XYZ coords are wrong, or at least when exported, are in the wrong positions in the ascii .mdl file, and then have to be manually changed.

anyone else having these troubles?

using k1, max9, nwmax 0.8

Dumb question of the day: I'm following this tutorial with gmax, and when I'm asked to connect the four edges of one wall of the room (using the connect edges function of 3ds max), I can't find a corresponding function in gmax. Help please?

Dumb question of the day: I'm following this tutorial with gmax, and when I'm asked to connect the four edges of one wall of the room (using the connect edges function of 3ds max), I can't find a corresponding function in gmax. Help please?

Yeah, GMax doesn't really have a connect function. The closest you're going to get is the Cut function.

• 1 year later...

Ive been having trouble with my area model. A bunch of my objects re-centered themselves to 000 in the game. They are placed right in the model, and i have the hierarchy set to 000. Any idea on how to fix this?

Did you center the pivotpoint of the object, did the ResetXform? Thing?

If you did you might have to open the exported ASCII file and manually correct all wrong objects. Putting back in the correct X Y Z coords. Highly annoying, but Max/Gmax has a nasty habbit of memorizing the old wrong coords for objects.

Which in turn get exported >_>

Also mind folks, this is a fairly old tutorial of mine. T'was at the start of all this "make your own area", perhaps I should redo this stuff... if I ever find the time >_<

• 3 months later...

The tutorial thread can be found here: CLICK

Hello again!

What a bump and thread necromancy! Har har har!

I'm back with a new set of tutorials about area modelling and everything envolved around it. Looking back these old vids just don't do it anymore.

As to be expected my own skill has grown a bit and I discovered a lot more about area modelling.

Therefore I decided to make some new vids about the whole thing. Hopefully this will help people or give more experienced modders some tips. Mind this tutorial thing, just shows how I do things. Its my own personal style on how to handle the area modelling... eh.. thing :lol:

What I want to say is that, this isn't what you MUST do. It just worked ok for me so far. If by chance you know better ways of doing this, then by all means enlighten me and your fellow modders! This is all made to send you on your merry way and create awesome new areas to explore in the game.

Anyway to business; I'll keep the links to my old tutorial vids untill everything is covered again in the new vids. After that I'll "kill" them off, so no one can get confused. Cause, well, I'm quiet chaotic :lol:

Well, here's the first new batch of vids; these first six parts deal with making and setting up a walkmesh. Now six parts sounds a lot, well there's a lot to show and talk about, cause walkmeshes are a very important part of your model. Just watch ;)

Walkmesh tutorial:

First 4 parts are in 3Ds Max, how to create your walkmesh and how to work with it in Kaurora.

PART I

PART II

PART III

PART IV

Last 2 parts are about several key files: .vis and .lyt files and the .are, .git and .ifo files.

PART V

PART VI => This one is now uploaded!

EDIT: Adjusted first post to include this message aswell.

EDIT2: Part VI is uploaded.

• 5 weeks later...

Regards quanon. first to thank the excellent tutorials. good job. As regards the modeling I can create a complicated area with many rooms and all fit into the game. But I have two big problems. The first is that the lights do not work, and others to see through walls when I approach and rotate the camera. I think it has some connection with the compiler Kauroraeditor, my version is 0.2. I think its not compile nodes to light. Second problem i don't know. Maybe it has someting with vis file or materials. please if you can tell me about versions of your tools an if you know what is the problem... HELPPPP...please :) Also if you can post download link for the tools you use. Tx you in advance.

Another set of tutorials; took me a bit longer then I wanted to upload these.

But, heck, that's life for ya :lol:

Anyway I hope you folks enjoy this stuff. Also let me know if it's actually any good :p

EDIT; also included in first post.

Texturing and UVWmapping:

Vid-tutorial in 4 parts, all about how to UVWmap and texture your area.

PARTI

PARTII

PARTIII

PARTIV

...and others to see through walls when I approach and rotate the camera...

That's how it is for everybody, me included. Normally the walkmesh, if you made walls for it, should block the camera. But saddly selfmade walkmeshes just don't want to do that. And I'm still uncertain if it's an oversight by me, the modeller or Kaurora. So far I haven't been to bugged about it.

Your other problem: did you link 3ds Max lights, to your AuroraBase? Cause that won't do any good. To lift the darkness; look into your .ifo file. You have to set the Sunambient and Sundiffuse values to a certain number. That way you'll get light all over your area.

Check out the start of this thread, other folks have had the same trouble. Plus you might want to check out the last 2 videos from my walkmesh tutorials. A small part is about the lighting as I mentioned above ;)

For more funky lighting, you'll have to wait a bit. I need to cover that in a tutorial about lightmaps and such :D

Lightmaps already have a tutorial in the tutorial section

Yes, they do. You've made one, I know.

I find it great to find more then one tutorial on the same subject. Your's isn't bad or lacking far from it. But having more "talk" from differant people explaining something... well, sometimes it just helps to have two sources to get the full picture on a particular subject.

Unless you think it's overkill?

I know I've wronged you Dis, but I'm not sure if I have to read this as negative or postive :confused:

PM me if you have more concerns and all, I don't want to go OP to much.

• 3 months later...

Archived