Home

Playing non-jedi

Pwnzor326

I'll be playing with my wife, so I'll probably let her pick a class and then I'll choose something that complements it. If she chooses a Jedi, I'll pick something else. If she chooses something else though, I'll probably choose Jedi.

I believe that Jedi will be balanced well with the other classes. They will probably be a unique experience though since they'll likely be the only melee-focused class.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never played an MMORPG so my opinion might not work in game but I don't think force sensitivity should be linked to a class. In fact I think you shouldn't even start as a jedi or a padawan.

Canon states that force sensitivity is related to genes and that some species are more prone to that than others. Why not make it a common trait? Depending on your race you would be granted a species oriented random automatic force sensitivity level, if you wanted to join the sith or jedi you would go to one of their bases to get tested and if your force sensitivity wasn't strong enough you could do a whole set of side quests to increase your connection with the force.

If not, you could always train within your force level (smugler with a touch of force persuade for example) or disregard it at all. Of course if you hit the force jackpot a get someone who can automatically join the jedi or sith you can always disregard it and play some other class in fact if your strong enough both sides might try to convert you. It could make a great character driven story arch. That way you could be a smugler or a bounty hunter or a soldier and in the long run decide to join one of the force wielding sides or if you grew tired you could take a quest that would cause your connection to the force to be severed or weakened (while still retaining the skills if not the force powers) and you could adopt a new class (soldier to jedi/sith to bounty hunter).

I find that more interesting than spending 40 hours playing to realise I don´t want to be a soldier but a smugler and then I have to start all over again

I would want to be a Force-sensitive Bounty Hunter. The armor is kandosii! It bears a striking resemblance to the Mando'ade of later times. And lets see a Jedi/Sith block an attack with Force Lightning mixed with a flamethrower.:D

I like this idea, although I think it dilutes what it means to play a jedi/sith in the game to some extent. It might help to not dilute it if the force sensitivity for non-jedi/sith characters is limited to very minor influences in the force, rather than all-out force prowess like a bounty hunter being able to use force lightning, as Mand'alor suggested.

That's exactly what I was thinking, if you want to "upgrade" your force powers you'll need proper training, and the only way to do so would be joining either the sith or the jedi.

Edit: Unless they come up with a new faction later in the game

I've never played an MMO, so I don't know the ramifications of switching classes, but I do like this idea. Playing out the scenario, however, would lead me to think that while many people would start off being different classes (providing variety), everyone would end up being Jedi/Sith. Maybe it will end up that way anyway.

Also, what would happen if you went back to being a Bounty Hunter or Smuggler? Would you keep the specialized force training you received as a Jedi/Sith? There would have to be a way to remove those force-specialized powers, and I don't know of a story-line that would aptly explain it.

I've never played an MMO, so I don't know the ramifications of switching classes, but I do like this idea. Playing out the scenario, however, would lead me to think that while many people would start off being different classes (providing variety), everyone would end up being Jedi/Sith. Maybe it will end up that way anyway.

Also, what would happen if you went back to being a Bounty Hunter or Smuggler? Would you keep the specialized force training you received as a Jedi/Sith? There would have to be a way to remove those force-specialized powers, and I don't know of a story-line that would aptly explain it.

They could remain but be ineffective, is like having a ship and lacking the fuel or at least restrict those to the initial levels of said skill, you would remain as force sensitive as when you started the game, but you received training that made you more proficient in it.

Many passive powers could remain with simple penaltis and if you were unhappy with your choice you could always repeat the quest to increase your force connection, only this time you would have the force-specialized powers waiting for the correct force level to be used.

It would be a choice for those who wished to leave sith/jedi, but many of the exp. used to adquire those skills would be wasted since they would be blocked.

Its a game decision.

Rather than restarting you could adapt your pre-existing character, making his/hers story arc far more interesting, it could even be a "homage" of sorts to K1 and TSL but rather than being forced on the gamers it would be their choice.

They could even make a quest where to unlock an item or special skill within the force you would have to be stripped of it, for example a boss that protects the access point and drains any force powers and uses them against you, it would be as strong in the force as the one opposing him, so to get the power you need to loose it or severely weaken it so the boss can be beatable. I could be explained within game story and logic.

Te Mirdala Mand'alor I doubt the game'll allow it (Bao-Dur's case in TSL comes to mind) regardless of how many armors you got, anything that was even in the slightest connected to the force couldn't be used by him and he could be trained as jedi/sith. In TOR it would be a nice ideia if at least you could wear it but be deprived of it's stats (a jedi robe in non jedi is just a piece of cloth...) that way it wouldn't upset power balance in game. You could use any item, but you'd get the proper stats only if your class matched.

If I decide to get this game...I'd definitely be a non-jedi...more fun that way imho.

Like when I was a little kid...I didn't wanna be obi-wan or luke or even vader...I wanted to be a stormtrooper...I hope there's an equivalent to that in this game...

You wanted to suck at shooting and die in one hit? :thmbup1:

Im gonna be a Jedi, a Sith, a Bounty Hunter, a Smuggler... all of the classes I will be all of them!

I will likely try several of the classes in the end which is what I ended up doing when I played WoW. I would be even more likely to try them all at one point or another given that according to Bioware each class will have a unique story arc, and unique missions

I will likely try several of the classes in the end which is what I ended up doing when I played WoW. I would be even more likely to try them all at one point or another given that according to Bioware each class will have a unique story arc, and unique missions

Same, although I'll probably end up liking one of my guys in particular (be it the combat style, story, etc.), and spend the majority of time with whoever that may be.

Why shouldnt we be allwoed to gain lightsaber training?

Yeah, if a Bounty Hunter killed a saber-swinger they would most likely collect the lightsaber as a trophy. Then they would most likely figure out how to use it.

I want to kill a saber-swinger (that didn't come out right...).

I think the only problem with saying, "Non-Jedi level faster..." is that eventually the jedi DO catch up. There are people out there who will quit their jobs to play! I recall in SWG,it taught us all a big lesson. No matter HOW HARD you make something, there are people out there who will do it. Hologrind anyone? How do you balance Jedi and Non-Jedi? No clue, but my main will not be a jedi, as I was never into them in SWG. I will however have one, I'm sure of that.

If I wanted a lightsaber, i'd play as a Jedi. I don't think that non-jedi should be able to use lightsabers (and spare me the 'Boba Fett can use one' stuff).

It's already likely that most people will plump for a Sith/Jedi class, so there'll a fair amount of lightsaber wielding opponents without the few who aren't Jedi deciding they want one too.

Archived