Home

Im having some problems with texturing...

Drunkside

So i have been making weapon models lately. Then i decided to reskin an armor in similar colors, but the weapons are way darker. Any idea why? Another thing is, that some of the skinning is... stacked. Dont know how to describe in any other way. I have a white area, and theres a grey area next to it. on the edge i can see both colors. Why is this?

Dunno if this is related to the problem you're having with the armour coming out lighter than the weapons, but I found some armour textures that have alpha channels making some parts a bit transparent. Check for an alpha channel and delete it if one's there.

Where is the environment map? I had to delete the alpha channel on a custom item coz it was actually partially transparent in game instead of shiny like it was supposed to be. But all that came with the mod I customized was the texture, icon and UTI.

It's partially transparent to allow the environment map to show through. You need a TXI file to tell the game which map to use. It's basically just a text file. Create a new text file. Put the following in it:

envmaptexture CM_baremetal

Save it, then change the filename to the same as the texture but with a TXI extension. Put it in your Override folder alongside the texture. The texture will need its alpha channel in order for the envmap to have any effect. The level of grey in the alpha channel determines the level of transparency of the texture (white is 100% opaque, black is 100% transparent), and therefore the intensity of the envmap.

Ooh! TY TY TY TY TY! :D

I did that, and it still didn't work, so I checked the mod source I'm customizing and it changed the envmap column in appearance.2da as well. So I did that and it works now! Schweet!

EDIT: To OP, sorry for hijacking your thread. :D

Np... Anyone have any ideas on my problem? The problem isnt about transparency, i had trouble with it when i began modeling but i now know how Alpha works. Its really not a big deal since the items im making are supposed to have a look like they have been used. A lot. I just would like to know what causes this so it wont ruin my later work. And oh, in gmax the textures look fine but in-game the stacking is there.

Archived