Home

Resident Evil 5

Lynk Former

Lynk and I beat the game tonight (on Veteran mode no less o_Q). Probably not as good as 4, but it was still great fun. There were a ton of obvious assets borrowed from 4 like sound effects and some animations. And then a few things that seemed to take a step backwards, like the chainsaw dude who took longer to kill in 5 but was still much easier as you can just run past him (I noted this about the demo but was hoping it'd be harder in the real game, especially on veteran). But I loved how much Wesker is in the game as he is such an awesome villain and overall the story was very good and for me it lived up to the hype.

Already? Guess it's really not as long as 4, as announed.

Also, I'm about to see what's good about this one plot. Jill has been kidnapped? Oh noes, that's such a generic thing to do! I hope it improves as I play. :xp:

And, yeah, the chainsaw guy takes a ridiculously long time to beat. But, all in all, he's pretty easy. Even with those annoying ganados (or whatever they're called here) spawning out of nowhere.

Do you have to carry another piece of luggage with a health bar again? RE4 was fun every second that you were't stuck with whatever the hell her name was, I usually just refered to her as "hide" or "GET OUT OF MY WAY". The most satisfying ending that game could have had was shooter her. If only...

Well, I'm definitely looking forward to the PC version. I just hope they do a better conversion than they did with RE4. I mean, RE4 was pretty good, but the control scheme was extremely annoying. They really need to include mouse support in this one.

Is Resident Evil 5 Racist? NO! I think this is so ridiculous, at least in the demo there are just as many white people as blacks, and I think that is just silly. There are no white people in African villages. I didn't hear any complains when Leon was killing Spaniard after Spaniard in RE4.

No one had a problem killing all Caucasian zombies in the first Resident Evil... or the fact that Raccoon City was nuked and we don't actually know how many uninfected there were who died there.

Kill all the white people you want, kill all the Spaniards you want, but oh no... a black zombie? SHAME, SHAME, SHAME!

Double QFE. Some people seem to simply want to attract attention to themselves, so they invent ridiculous accusations to do it.

Secured my copy a few days before release, and so far have played through about 3/4 of the game. Being a huge fan of Resident Evil 4, I naturally had high expectations despite the fact that the development team had changed rather dramatically between the two games.

Overall, I'm disappointed. Not quite as disappointed as I was with MGS4, but disappointed non the less.

- The pacing is all over the place.

- The inventory system is broken.

- Why do I have to complete a chapter, quit the game, or die before I can buy/upgrade weapons and view documents? The merchant system was perfect in RE4.

- The enemy animations appear to have been recycled from RE4.

- Not a fan of this forced CO-OP, especially given Sheva's terrible AI.

Though on the plus side, the storyline seems interesting, as do the characters facial animations. Anyways, I'm done. I'm off to play Left 4 Dead, a masterful game which reminded me why I'm a fan of the survival horror genre. ;)

Secured my copy a few days before release, and so far have played through about 3/4 of the game. Being a huge fan of Resident Evil 4, I naturally had high expectations despite the fact that the development team had changed rather dramatically between the two games.

Psh, only 3/4 through it? Jeff and I finished it in 2 days on Veteran mode for our first run on the weekend it was released.

Also, only some key positions really changed... mostly it was the lack of Shinji Mikami's direction for this one that was the most noticeable change.

Overall, I'm disappointed. Not quite as disappointed as I was with MGS4, but disappointed non the less.

I'm not disappointed, but I do think it's nowhere good as RE4 despite the very implemented co-op.

- The pacing is all over the place.
Agreed

- The inventory system is broken.
Kind of, sort of, but if you're skilled enough you can work around it pretty easily. The quick item select is handy and if you have anything extra that's important you put it in the middle slot and just Y, A, A (or Triangle, X, X... stupid PlayStation) it.

- Why do I have to complete a chapter, quit the game, or die before I can buy/upgrade weapons and view documents? The merchant system was perfect in RE4.
Yeah, the merchant is awesome XD

- The enemy animations appear to have been recycled from RE4.
A LOT of the game is recycled including boss battles, sound effects and even the item barrels lol.

- Not a fan of this forced CO-OP, especially given Sheva's terrible AI.
Get a friend if you have any :p play online co-op.

Psh, only 3/4 through it? Jeff and I finished it in 2 days on Veteran mode for our first run on the weekend it was released.

I would have completed it ages ago had the game been able to keep my attention, but what with all it's problems, I tend to get bored and annoyed with it really quickly. :p

Get a friend if you have any :p play online co-op.
Traditionally, Resident Evil is a single player experience, and even though the developers have tried they're very best to mess that single player experience up up, I'll still play it as a single player game. ;)

And if I want a great multiplayer experience, I'll go play Left 4 Dead. :D

There is nothing 'traditional' about Resident Evil 5, people just need to take it for what it is instead of trying to make it into one of the original games. Co-op makes the game over 9000 times more fun than single player.

People also need to realise that Capcom doesn't simply want to rehash the same game over and over with the Resident Evil series. They're trying to make it so that each new game gives a new and different experience. If you really want to play the same game over and over then you're better off simply owning the original and playing that continuously.

Of course, if RE4 and 5 and other RE recent RE games were all exactly the same style as the originals then people would be screaming "REHASH! GIVE US SOMETHING NEW! BOO!!" and no one would be happy either.

This next Resident Evil seems to create a very unique experience, indeed..but the whole zombie idea has become sort've warped....now you're just shooting poor people as opposed to zombies, it's very much like what Rogue Nine said on Lucas Cast, it's become a minorities shooter, instead of a zombie shooter..it's still a bit fun...though the chainsaws in the demo were...graphic:D

This next Resident Evil seems to create a very unique experience, indeed..but the whole zombie idea has become sort've warped....now you're just shooting poor people as opposed to zombies, it's very much like what Rogue Nine said on Lucas Cast, it's become a minorities shooter, instead of a zombie shooter..it's still a bit fun...though the chainsaws in the demo were...graphic:D

Well, yeah, the concept of zombies has... broadned a bit, but it's still pretty much killing mindless husks, with a bit more intelligence, but still remotely controlled. Remember that the original intent of Umbrella was exactly this.

One thing I can complain about RE5 is that it's not scary at all, despite what the devs said about it being horror. Even less than RE4 which, at least, had some of those "oh, gross" moments.

The chainsaw dude was not nearly as violent as the ones in RE4, or as aggressive. You got your head completely cut off very graphically in 4, in 5 they pan the camera away so you can't see the actual attack and you do not actually get beheaded.

One thing I can complain about RE5 is that it's not scary at all, despite what the devs said about it being horror. Even less than RE4 which, at least, had some of those "oh, gross" moments.
Yeah, it is not scary at all really. Every time enemies are around there is no surprise, either there are a ton of them that you see running at you or the music changes to alert you to their presence.

Yeah, it is not scary at all really. Every time enemies are around there is no surprise, either there are a ton of them that you see running at you or the music changes to alert you to their presence.
That's my biggest problem with the Resident Evil series, or the survival horror genre in general: It's just not scary. Sure, it might have all of the ingredients of a "scary" video game, but it completely guts a dark, immersive atmosphere with shooting stuff.

In other words, the Shadow Temple in Ocarina of Time will always be scarier than any Resident Evil game. :carms:

Archived