Laserschwert

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, you even got mentioned by Tim! :|

Congratulations dude! :)

Had the Monkey Island 2 one hanging for a long time allready though:

468235096_5_jEaZ.jpeg

Made it myself back in the day when Steve took a picture of the original hanging in his house. It's not as nicely done though, and I had to smuggle the resolution with some filters. Looks great though.

I have a portrait of the Edison Family in the same quality too.

Now that I think about it, didn't I once promise to mail them to you, Laserschwert? :$

Do you still want them?

By the way, welcome to the forums everyone who has just signed up, or posted here for the first time! You are all very welcome to stick around and shoot the **** about LucasArts+! (That is, LucasArts plus all their offspring companies, e.g. Telltale and Double Fine)

I looked at the Mi2 artwork close-up and was really amazed by the detail. It looked like you had stolen the original artwork and scanned it in in very high quality. It had brush-strokes and everything! And I have no idea how you managed to remove the logo so well.

I looked at the Mi2 artwork close-up and was really amazed by the detail. It looked like you had stolen the original artwork and scanned it in in very high quality. It had brush-strokes and everything! And I have no idea how you managed to remove the logo so well.

That was quite simple: I've traded my soul in for it... now the painting is cursed, and whoever puts it up his or her wall will be haunted for all enternity... still a good deal, I'd say.

I just signed up to say 'Please Please Please can you do the same for Curse of Monkey Island!??? It's my first game, and it's the best, but I don't play it anymore because I've finished it way too many times'.

So there you have it. Please. Pretty please. And with a nice view of Plunder Island's town, too! And of course, at least one chicken.

I just signed up to say 'Please Please Please can you do the same for Curse of Monkey Island!??? It's my first game, and it's the best, but I don't play it anymore because I've finished it way too many times'.

So there you have it. Please. Pretty please. And with a nice view of Plunder Island's town, too! And of course, at least one chicken.

I don't think you realise how he makes these.

He doesn't draw them himself, he edits original artwork in a very high resolution from various sources.

To do such a thing with the 640 x 480 256 color screenshots from Plunder Island is allmost impossible, unless you want to redraw the whole island with a wacom or something.

I think your asking for a little much.

I think it might be possible, if you resized it, and then trace over all the lines (preferably with a tablet) and then refilled the colour.

But yeah, some of the sites that reported on this thread seemed to imply that Laser had drawn them or something (especially the DOTT/SW one which I guess they'd never seen).

Incidentally, I'd never realised that Laserschwert meant laser sword or whatever. I just saw it as a random collection of letters.

I've got mine printed at http://www.posterxxl.de (with their international sites for the UK, the Netherlands, France and the US)

For those that might be interested: Printing posters is pretty expensive, but PosterXXL currently have an offer on where your first 30cm x 40cm poster is FREE! That's what I decided to do. I know these posters aren't going to be massive, but instead I ordered two 30x40 prints for a grand total of £10 GBP (inc. shipping).

Although Laserschwert did an awesome awesome and totally awesome job, I decided to "improve" his work for my 30x40 prints. So if anyone is interested (the files are smaller, for one), here are "my" versions of Laserschwert's (and Steve Purcell's) incredible work.

I'm sure most people won't be interested, but if you want something a little more "tasteful" in size (or, perhaps most importantly, a lot cheaper to get printed) here are the files I created:

http://www.thunderpeel2001.com/posters/MonkeyIsland1.jpg

http://www.thunderpeel2001.com/posters/MonkeyIsland2.jpg

For those that are still interested: I "improved" these by firstly resizing them to the size that I wanted, while upping the resolution to from 200dpi to 300dpi (it would be a shame to waste the extra detail added by LS). I also colour managed/corrected them in CMYK (which is what printers actually print in, so it gives you a much better idea of what the final product will look like). (FYI: All artwork you see on DVD cover, film posters, magazines is supplied to printers as 300dpi CMYK documents.)

I've attached a preview of the close-ups of some of the colour changes. Laserschwert's (on the right) has a kind of browny-muddy "black", whereas I've removed this tone to improve the overall contrast of the image. To be honest it's probably only something that a graphic designer would notice, but if you're anything like me it would bug you :)

I thought they might be of use to someone!

MonkeyIsland2p1.jpg.cbf90ca9ce8a81e18a96f45ed15e8d89.jpg

MonkeyIsland2p2.jpg.714750cf0252889269fcba168d7901e9.jpg

The contrasts look good, although I think a bit too dark now. Black paint on canvas isn't entirely black, and I've added some texture that now got lost in your dark areas. Tell me how it looks when printed!

By the way, I assume that most poster-services print in RGB (because they print digitally). PosterXXL says so in the FAQ (at least on the German page):

Which color-space should my images be in?

Please send your images in RGB- or sRGB-color-space for best results. All other color-spaces will be converted to RGB. This may lead to color discrepancies. Complaints because of these discrepancies are not possible.

(translation by me ;) )

The contrasts look good, although I think a bit too dark now. Black paint on canvas isn't entirely black, and I've added some texture that now got lost in your dark areas. Tell me how it looks when printed!

By the way, I assume that most poster-services print in RGB (because they print digitally). PosterXXL says so in the FAQ (at least on the German page)

Huh? You can't "print in RGB"... it's technically impossible. Weird. Even digital printing is done in CMYK. RGB is an "additive" process because our monitors are backlit. Meaning you can get many colours that it's impossible to print without using special inks (such as Pantones), but also that R0 G0 B0 equals BLACK. As paper is white (or whatever) by default, CMYK is a "subtractive" process, meaning C0 Y0 M0 B0 equals WHITE (or the colour of the paper stock). It's just simply not possible to print in RGB.

If, as a designer, you sent some RGB artwork off to a professional printers, you'd get into serious trouble with your boss... It's a very amateur mistake.

How weird...:confused:

Edit: The FAQ (or at least the English FAQ) makes no mention of RGB or CMYK, but it does say, rather worryingly:

What resolution do you print at?

We print your poster at high resolution. You can achieve optimum quality for your image if it has 100 dpi at the selected format size (such as 60 x 45 cm).

What resolution must my image have?

The higher the resolution, the better the image quality. However, file size also increases at higher resolution. Using the special posterXXL optimization of the files, we even achieve good quality in large format prints made from images taken with a 2 megapixel camera. Please remember, however, that the quality of a poster is determined by the resolution, and we do not accept responsibility for complaints caused by insufficient resolution.

Which makes me think my money would have been better spent elsewhere... doh!

LS, I'll let you know what they're like when they arrive...

Archived