Home

LucasArts Posters

Laserschwert

You have saved me for the second time, Laserschwert! I don't speak english enough to be able to express my honor! Thank you so much!

p.s.: if I remember well, this is the originial resolution from the site, isn't it?

((p.s.2.: still cannot understand why new web technologies have to kill everything what was good on the internet?... is the new site really better... why has the 20th site gone... ))

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Could you take some pictures? I'd like to see how they turned out.

Unfortunately I don't own a camera, but I did find the time to simulate what I received...

This is what I sent:

MonkeyIsland1Sent.jpgMonkeyIsland2Sent.jpg

This is what I got back:

MonkeyIsland1Recieved.jpgMonkeyIsland2Recieved.jpg

Yup, it's not all that close, is it? Damn lousy printers. I think this is the result of their "special processing" of images that are sent to them. It looks like the type of "enhancement" someone would apply... up the colours and contrast!

I'm sure they're great for your holiday snaps and all that, but not if you know precisely what you want. I should have got them printed at one of the companies we use... doh. Nevermind, I still enjoy them, even if they're not perfect!

I saw this thread a few weeks ago and I instantly went to posterxxl and printed them out. I was, however, saddened by the fact that there wasn't a Curse of Monkey Island poster... so I made my own. I figure this is the best place to post it (please be kind to my server).

mi3_tn.jpg

Bigger preview

Full size download (60x80cm @ 200dpi)

I also took it upon myself to do two versions of a Grim Fandango poster. One with the slogan, and one without the slogan.

grim-fandango-no-slogan_tn.jpg

Bigger preview

grim-fandango-slogan_tn.jpg

Bigger preview

I hope you guys like them... I haven't received them back from the printers yet, so I don't know how they look at full size...

I'll accept any constructive criticism...

Unfortunately I don't own a camera, but I did find the time to simulate what I received...

Yup, it's not all that close, is it? Damn lousy printers. I think this is the result of their "special processing" of images that are sent to them. It looks like the type of "enhancement" someone would apply... up the colours and contrast!

I'm sure they're great for your holiday snaps and all that, but not if you know precisely what you want. I should have got them printed at one of the companies we use... doh. Nevermind, I still enjoy them, even if they're not perfect!

Hi ThunderPeel2001!

I must say that I work as a graphic designer too and downloaded your version some time ago and sent out to our digital printers and they came out perfect. They´re hanging in my living room since then.

... so I blame those printers too ;)

Nice work, ScottSpork (and awesome avatar btw)! Welcome to the forums. I think those posters look really cool, and the detail looks good too.

Welcome to the forums, hkb. I'm glad ThunderPeel's posters came out well. If I come to print some of these out, though, I don't know whether to go for Thunder's or Lasers's... :~

Yeah, nice job with the posters. :)

My only grief with the CMI-one is that it looks like you've started with a rather low-res source, and so the fine lines didn't hold up when upscaled. Other than that, nice job. I'll try my hands on them myself one day though, if you don't mind. And regarding the CMI-artwork, I might be on to something.

Yeah, nice job with the posters. :)

My only grief with the CMI-one is that it looks like you've started with a rather low-res source, and so the fine lines didn't hold up when upscaled. Other than that, nice job. I'll try my hands on them myself one day though, if you don't mind. And regarding the CMI-artwork, I might be on to something.

I would love it if you did one... that was my first try at upscaling and cleaning up the scuffs and whatnot and I know I didn't use the right filters. It's especially noticeable around the flame border for "The Curse of", a lot of definition was lost when I tried to get rid of the noise that was permeating all the colors.

I still think my Grim Fandango one turned out quite nice. Especially when you compare it to the original.

Oh to see a version of Monkey Island 2 that used the high-res images for backgrounds... Drool...

Actually, I disagree on this.

The art is perfect the way it is ingame, because it was made for it.

I saw the inside of Wally's room in the Rogue Leaders book and I was shocked by the lack of detail and the simpleness of it all.

However in the game, everything looks very detailed and beautifully drawn because of the lack of resolution.

The backgrounds where done with this resolution in mind, so that's how they should be presented.

And thats exactly the reason why I don't endorse the Monkey Island speech project btw. The lines were written to be read, not to be heard.

That's the reason why the Faith of Atlantis' talkie version was a little on the flat side.

Ontopic: Nice Full Throttle Poster Edward van Helgen, and welcome to the Forum.

I've got the book, and I do see what you mean. Although the art looks far from unappealing in high resolution — it's beautiful — I can't see how it'd gel with the original pixellated character models and such. The lines and everything are just too smooth and it'd look ridiculous.

If they were to tackle something like that, they'd have to redraw the characters and props in a higher resolution, more like CMI. And that's a prospect I've not sure how I feel about.

That's the reason why the Faith of Atlantis' talkie version was a little on the flat side.

Actually that was because Hal Barwood, despite having worked in films, wasn't invited to sit in on the recording sessions. But I do take your point, a lot of the lines in MI1 and 2 are excessively wordy and would be very difficult to pull off and make sound good.

I've got the book, and I do see what you mean. Although the art looks far from unappealing in high resolution — it's beautiful — I can't see how it'd gel with the original pixellated character models and such. The lines and everything are just too smooth and it'd look ridiculous.

If they were to tackle something like that, they'd have to redraw the characters and props in a higher resolution, more like CMI. And that's a prospect I've not sure how I feel about.

I felt like that at first, too... I was shocked as they always seemed a LOT more detailed in the game, but after playing Braid I really feel as though the "playing in a painting" effect is very beautiful. I'd love to see it in MI2.

You also have to remember that in both of the cases (talkie and backrounds), that you always have the original if you prefer it!

I've finally found some time to put up two of the posters I've made.

They come from a relatively low res source, but they still look great on the wall.

calaveracafesmall.jpg

Calavera Café

300 DPI 50 x 70 cm

Full Size Download

edisonssmall.jpg

Edisons Portrait

300 DPI 50 x 75 cm

Full Size Download

The Edisons one is made out of a picture that Steve Purcell took of the original hanging on his wall.

That's why the lighting is a little bit odd on the lower left corner.

Archived