Home

LucasArts Posters

Laserschwert

I didn't paint the clouds myself, I've used a photo for them. The clouds in the sketch look too cartoony though, and wouldn't fit the style of the final painting. And I'm no artist, so I can't translate from one style to another ;-)

Well I just did a quick mock-up of what I meant:

mi1b1000colorcloud2.jpg

I just very roughly selected out some of the cloud from the sketch. And then made the white transparant and stuck it on your poster. Then with a little opacity tweaking and other contrast and brightness tweaks I got that.

I didn't really bother to get too much into it because frankly, I think you can do a better job and you seem to enjoy taking up your time with it :p I'm sure it is quite easy to draw your own version of the sketch's cloud shape. All you need is the outline and then just sorta darken the bits behind the outline and you have simple clouds! Which will be a lot better than my copy, paste and tweak job :p

Edit: Damn, that looked A LOT better on my laptop screen XD That often happens with me. Like if I've mixed a song or something it will only sound good with MY earphones. I need to work out how I can avoid that :/

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That "poster" is still built of my scan. That's why I've gone back to my original scan to try and make a full clean artwork. I'm using Laserschwert's tress and sky - and a little bit more but that may be all I end up using once complete. Here's how it's looking:

image12yvj.jpg

Keep in mind this is a work in progress. The orange section refers to a part of the image that will ultimatly contain the lower portion of the picture - I've removed the text over the crossbones using Laserschwert's image - but the skull I'm doing myself ... bit by bit. This is for the DVD cover I will release for the special edition (well the product clearly doesn't come with one, thus I shall give it to you).

-edit- I've added part of the missing bottom using a low-quality source (mainly to prove it can be done). I'll clone over it later the hardest part will be the monkey - the next hardest will be the plant on the left. There's only 3 things that need to be done: 1. remainder of text removed from skull. 2. bottom part of image extended. 3. sky at top extended (to complete DVD cover aspect ratio).

No offense, but why would you guys attempt so hard to remove what is an actual part of the MI poster? I believe the letters round the poster and without them, it feels empty and lacks impact (which isn't suprising; after all, it was drawed having them in mind).

Great work anyway; and despite what Lasershwert may think (heh), restoring & cleaning such big pictures IS art, and therefore you should be considered artists. :)

BTW: You guys should definitely update the thread and add this one (courtesy of parabolee)

Monkey-Island-SE-Poster-LSEdition-800v2.jpg

The poster-sized version is right here: http://flat-life.com/temp/Monkey-Island-SE-Poster-LSEdition.jpg

Pretty cool, although I don't like the big-eyed disney-like monkey.

No offense, but why would you guys attempt so hard to remove what is an actual part of the MI poster?

Well I could say the same about the changing of Guybrush's face in the poster you linked to, surely Guybrush is pretty integral XD And there is a version with the logo still.

It's just that the Monkey Island 2 poster looks so cool without the logo that it seemed only appropriate to do the same for the first game, am I right?

No offense, but why would you guys attempt so hard to remove what is an actual part of the MI poster? I believe the letters round the poster and without them, it feels empty and lacks impact (which isn't suprising; after all, it was drawed having them in mind).
Have you seen the posters here:

http://scummgames.net/posters.htm

Look at the first poster - it has no text in it whatsoever (but the image is cropped on the left and top and possibly the other sides).

Anyone you asked why... well it's so I can do this:

misetest.jpg

(Create a DVD cover for the SE using the origin al artwork). The SE logo looks a little squashed compared to the original, I might vertically stretch it.

Well I really don't like "dl only" releases. At least I'm doing something about it and people can choose to print one of my covers if they wish to keep a hard copy.

By the way, I'm surprised at how fast my new page (scummgames.net/posters) has been indexed by Google: http://images.google.com/images?imgsz=huge&q=monkey+island+scan

This is good, because that is one way of drawing visitors to the site.

Look at the first poster - it has no text in it whatsoever (but the image is cropped on the left and top and possibly the other sides).

The first poster in your link is only cropped at the top. It has the bottom part you are trying to add to your cover, it also shows a little bit more on the left side.

The bottom part is not going to be that difficuilt to add. I have a guide for every part of it:

image23j.jpg

Laserschwert already did most of the monkey, the rest is much easier. I don't know how much more is on the original painting - but if the sketch is anything to go by not much.

090609-monkey-island-box.jpg

Don't forget I filled in the KIXX MI2 scan as well... this is what it looked like after blending it with the bottom of the LEC Box:

demoa.jpg

And it came out brilliantly!

Yeah I just resized it wrong (had "maintain aspect ratio" unchecked). I've done it with the last three images, but it's all good. There really isn't much to add on the left hand side (or the right hand side), I don't see the point. You see the rest of the cannibal's stick but that's about all. I may do it at a later time, it's certainly possible - in fact here's the left hand side anyway:

leftsiden.th.jpg

image24hxl.jpg

(Correct Size). And you can see I've removed even more of the text on the skull now. I'm doing it myself because I want better quality. It is tedious to do it right.

Archived