Home

LucasArts Posters

Laserschwert

maybe it was projected and painted on the wall?

Unlikely, as it contains noise and dirt from the original... plus you can see the widths of paper used (so it has been printed to wallpaper, I'd say). Also I doubt a handpainted version would look exactly like the original (and this one does).

They might have used a sharpened (and edited) version of Plamdi's image (on which I've based my versions). The colors seem to match.

• Replies 926
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's two little somethings Mr. William Eaken sent to me today (click for full size):

foabe.jpg ra2be.jpg

Now, these are just snapshots taken with a digicam (off his original paintings), so the quality isn't the best. And while the "Fate of Atlantis"-one isn't as detailed as the clean-up job I've made, the "Rebel Assault II"-artwork should be the biggest version available of it. Although I wanted to stay clear of any "Star Wars"-related posters, I think this one is just too special to not be used (since it's probably the only actually painted SW game-cover... well, maybe aside from the first "Rebel Assault").

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone tell me what the original source image is for the Star Wars themed Day of the Tentacle poster? Where did that come from?

That would be good info to add to the first post, for all the posters... were these box art? Actual posters that were ever produced? Does anyone collect the "originals" rather than the reproductions here?

It was on an issue of the Adventurer - the LucasArts catalogue that shipped in US copies of the games in the early 90s. See here :)

As I understand it, Laserschwert has reconstructed these images from hi-res scans of boxes and magazine ads, and some other sources in certain cases. I believe there were only official released posters for the first LucasArts games - Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (?), Loom (?) and the Secret of Monkey Island. Those posters are extremely rare! I've never even seen one for sale. Well, except the Maniac Mansion ones - but a few years ago, the LucasArts Store found a box of those from way back and put them on sale :D

Yeah, my main goal is to reconstruct the artworks themselves as cleanly as possible. I usually work from as many sources as possible (and necessary) to get the job done.

Most of the time the images are the box-artworks, with a few exceptions that come from ads, magazine covers or concept artwork. Some are even purely made up by me - like the normal DOTT-poster (since the original box-front only has Bernard and Purple on it) and of course the DOTT-SW poster in One Sheet style.

Regarding official posters: About a month ago a bunch of these turned up at eBay, to be exact "Fate of Atlantis", "Maniac Mansion", "Full Throttle" and "Monkey Island". I bid on all of them, but the prices went higher than I was willing to pay. I guess after all my versions are good enough for me most of the time (plus they are made without terrible stuff like that ugly 90s-pattern-frame around the original MI1-poster). I actually have the original "Fate of Atlantis" poster on my wall, so I'm good.

Oh yes, I forgot about Fate of Atlantis. There was a time, about ten years ago, when many copies of that poster were available on eBay. I remember buying one for a relatively low price :) The source was European which made me suspect forgery, but, to be honest, if it's a fake it's damn good and I don't care :D

• 4 weeks later...
Unlikely, as it contains noise and dirt from the original... plus you can see the widths of paper used (so it has been printed to wallpaper, I'd say). Also I doubt a handpainted version would look exactly like the original (and this one does).

They might have used a sharpened (and edited) version of Plamdi's image (on which I've based my versions). The colors seem to match.

They most certainly did! Have a look at the scratch marks present on my scan:

91175011.jpg

As for the detail, that's because I used the KIXX box primarily, although difficuilt to tell for that particular part it is significantly more detailed than the IBM box.

m2ibm.jpg

(same section from my IBM scan).

Nice to see people using these things... intelligently?

I've just realized that I haven't posted this here yet... my first official job for Telltale Games:

bttfy.jpg

And a few close-ups (though these are still only at half size... the full-size poster is somewhat close to one sheet size):

bttfcl1.jpgbttfcl2.jpg

bttfcl3.jpgbttfcl4.jpg

bttfcl5.jpgbttfcl6.jpg

I finally got to work a bit more on the "half pencil / half digital"-workflow I've used on my Narwhal-poster, although this was so much more work compared to Narwhal. It's a daunting task to mimic Struzan, but I've tried to at least keep the spirit of the original poster.

The workflow was similar to Narwhal though: Telltale hooked my up with the 3D models of Marty and the DeLorean, which I posed, remodeled, lit and rendered in 3dsmax. Those renderings became the basis for the pencil drawings, while everything else (background, flames, grain, more paint-overs) was done in Photoshop. I've created several custom brushes to recreate Struzan's spattery style from back then (it became a bit "cleaner" in the 90s and 00s), and was really glad to have my trusted Intuos4 tablet at my side during this (actually I've worked my normal job during the day, and workend on this during the night... it was brutal, but totally worth it!)

With a little luck, prints of this might be available at the Telltale store some day!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay guys, shortly (within a few weeks) I'll be making a printable resource page on my website that will include my M1 and M2 posters (but in slightly better quality then I have provided before) and additionally a "recreated M1 poster" - in other words, I'll be making a poster that looks almost identical to the real Monkey 1 poster. (The main difference will be that the Monkey1 logo cannot be moved to the correct position, nor do I intend to since it would make it near impossible to distinguish the two from low-res pictures). Then I will also be providing the manuals I created in 07 (possibly editied versions), and hopefully a new Madness manual too.

I've found a highly reccomended website for printing these things, and once I've checked it out hopefully I can also reccomend it.

Hey there.

I tested posterxxl in germany, and I'm not very happy with the result.

So I ordered the same Poster at link removed. Now I got a perfect print. :-) Maybe interesting for you. Greetings

• 1 month later...

Archived