Home

CMI cursors for Linux and Windows

TalynBigfoot

Greetings all! Bit of a newbie here, but a long time fan and stalker of the board!

Anyways, I just figured that I would share these with you. I decided that my default boring mouse cursors were just too, well, boring. So I figured that I would make a cursor set from the ones in Monkey Island 3.

preview01.jpg

The white cursor is the basic one for your mouse and the red one is used for highlighting links and a few other things. The arrows are used for resizing a window by its borders. There is also an animated one of the white cursor spinning that is used as the typical 'hourglass'.

Here are the files themselves. You may have to just cut and past the links as my webserver can be a bit picky at times:

For Linux:

http://www.xmail.net/bigfoot/CMI-cursors.tar.gz

For Windows:

http://www.xmail.net/bigfoot/CMI-cursors-win.zip

To get these to work in Linux, just untar the file in /usr/share/cursors/xorg-x11 and then edit (or make) a directory inside xorg-x11 called 'default' with a file in it called index.theme Inside index.theme add these two lines:

[icon Theme]

Inherits=CMI

Then just restart X and you're all set! A word of warning however. If you use Metacity (Gnome) or Kwin (KDE) or any other window manager that changes the mouse cursor for you, you may have to mess around with your settings to get the CMI ones to display properly. If anything, try to set the cursors to be the default X11 cursors in your window manager and then hopefully they will work.

As far as Windows goes, I have only tested it in XP, however I would be surprised if it didn't work in Vista as well. You will have to download CursorFX. Inside the zip file is the premade CMI.CursorFX file that is needed to get them to work.

Both archives have all of the original PNGs that I used as well as a few others from Sam & Max that I ended up not using. Enjoy!

Never fear, I figured it out! (it was really easy actually). Just redownload the zip file and use the new CMI.CursorFX file, it should now have the rotating hourglass cursor! Let me know if it doesn't work. Enjoy!

I will edit my original post as well so that newcomers will get it right away.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived