Home

David Attenborough's 'Zoo Quest for a Dragon'

MJ

Hello, mixnmojo-ers.

Sometimes, I'm really jealous of you citizens of the UK!

For anyone who, like me, grew up watching David Attenborough documentaries, BBCOnline have put up all six episodes of 'Zoo Quest for a Dragon', one of David Attenborough's first television series. It's the only way to watch this brilliant piece of history, and it's only available to people in the UK.

I have a first edition of the book, signed, and the audiobook version as well. I thought the television series had been long lost! It must have been recovered recently.

I feel like flying to the UK and sitting in an internet cafe to watch these things... hopefully they'll come out on dvd one day!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/attenborough/index.shtml

The old Dr Who's went out live too but they managed to record them :confused: I don't pretend to understand but it's a good job however it was done.

I would be shocked if this wasn't released on dvd, it would sell bucket loads. I imagine they'll wait until around Christmas though if they do release it.

The following is from the foreword to The Tomb Of The Cybermen Script Book

As some of you may know, consecutive episodes of any Doctor Who story have always featured an overlap, in the form of a reprise of the previous episode's last moments, leading up to the traditional 'cliff-hanger' ending. In the earliest days of the progamme, when episodes were recorded live, this meant that the actors physically repeated the reprise at the start of the episode.

That bit is misleading. The episodes were recorded as if they went out live during the first years of the series, as in they limited the cuts and did as much as they could in single takes. They weren't broadcast live. :)

The first episode of An Unearthly Child has only one cut for example. The whole episode was done in two takes. The other three episodes of the story have either two or three cuts each. Try to spot them. :)

Archived