Home

Model viewer for KotOR?

Adinos

I was wondering if anyone has ever written a model viewer for KotOR, or if not, whether information on the model file format is available, so I could more easily write it myself.

I'd rather not spend my time reverse-engineering the format if someone else has done it already.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was wondering if anyone has ever written a model viewer for KotOR, or if not, whether information on the model file format is available, so I could more easily write it myself.

I'd rather not spend my time reverse-engineering the format if someone else has done it already.

GMax(Free) and 3dsMax($$$) can open the files if you convert the model files (.mdl and .mdx) you get from KTool into an -ascii.mdl file using MdlOps, and using the NWMax plugin for GMax or 3dsMax, you can bring the models into GMax/3ds. Then you have to select the parts of the body/head/whatever (usually clearly marked as head, hair, body, larm, rarm, etc. In GMax, to select them, the hot key is H and use control to select more then one.) then apply the skin to the body/head/whatever (in gmax, hotkey is M. Select Metal as the Shader, press the gray box next to Ambient/Difuse, and select the texture file) And there you go, you have your texture. Its probably not going to be the best quality or the quality it will have in game, so don't worry. In 3ds, I've heard that to get the best idea of your texture, you can use the rendering feature. But GMax doesn't have that feature standard, so you'll have to surf the net for the rendering plugin download.

• 1 month later...

Well, as it seems there is no stand-alone model viewer, I just wrote one myself.

Here are a few sample images - just picked some random models from KotOR and KotOR2.

kotor_samples.jpg

The viewer is not 100% ready - there is a handful of models that do not look right, and there are some things I would like to add, but I need information from BioWare for that.

Well, I have to fix a couple of things before I am comfortable with releasing this. There are three models that don't look right - something wrong with the textures, and a few more models where the lighing doesn't look right, as if the normals are reversed or something. I should get this finished next week, though.

Well, I have to fix a couple of things before I am comfortable with releasing this. There are three models that don't look right - something wrong with the textures, and a few more models where the lighing doesn't look right, as if the normals are reversed or something. I should get this finished next week, though.

Just out of interest: Do you need to compile the models with MDLops first or do you use something you wrote for yourself to read the Binary models.

If you use MDLops, well you're bound to run into some troublesome models.

Its a good program, but it looks like it can't do certain models without faults in them.

I read the binary MDL/MDX files. Easy enough for KotOR and KotOR2, but I wanted to handle Jade Empire too, as that file format is quite similar, but I am having some trouble there. If I cannot solve it, I'll just release the viewer as it is.

I read the binary MDL/MDX files. Easy enough for KotOR and KotOR2, but I wanted to handle Jade Empire too, as that file format is quite similar, but I am having some trouble there. If I cannot solve it, I'll just release the viewer as it is.

Wow, so you know whats in there and what all the fields thingies, etc of the meshes ?

See my friend GloveMaster is trying his best to figure it all out and he has plans to spend his summer on getting MDLops finished.

The little program can do a lot already, but certain fields in the mdl and mdx are unknown what they do, what they are and so on...

Where thinking about lightmaps, we need find a way to get things in the second channel of a 3D mesh for that... well and theres the animation bit aswell :p

Anyway, to cut my jibberish short, perhaps you could help GloveMaster out on develloping a good little tool that can handle everything 3D modelwize for the kotor games... that would be such blast !

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I made a small addition that might be useful - the ability to see how a different texture would look on the model.

yoda.jpg

This screenshot shows three instances of the viewer running - the first is the original, the second shows the texture replaced with a different one, where the blue has been changed to red, and the third is mostly for fun .. shows the model in wireframe mode.

Now, I'm not quite ready to release this officially yet - there are still a few bugs that remain, but if anyone wants to be a beta tester, drop me a note - PM Me Your Email Please, and I'll send you the current version.

Snipped email address as per our posted rules. It keeps away the spam bots. Please use Private Messages (PM) to exchange this info instead. Thanks. -RH

Sounds like a neat little feature. :)

Really looking forward to this!

BTW. Will it also support KotOR 2 models?

I'm just taking a wild guess that it does, per the following:

Here are a few sample images - just picked some random models from KotOR and KotOR2.

Hello, thanks to Marius, who handed over a copy of your little program, I gave it try and its pretty neat.

I've peeked at some creatures and character model, but also tried some of my own area models.

It all seems to work :p

EDIT: Sometimes though I need to alter the background color, or the rotation speed to get the rendering back.

Often I just get an empty window, showing my desktop.

And now and then I encounter the black models, most of my weapon models are so... though they appear ok in the game.

Its weird :p

Makes me happy I can check my area models without starting the game all the time.

Though perhaps on that specific topic, area models.

Would it be possible to implement a zoom function, so I can get closer :p

Or better, a full moveable camera; though that might be to much to ask.

Its seems to run smoothly on my PC, though a bit quircky, if another window or program passes over it, the rendering seems to go faulty a bit.

Anyway great job, I hope you continue to work on this :)

Well, this is a beta, so there are still some bugs - and this is the very first DirectX or C# application I have ever written so I am still learning..... I will be trying to fix whatever is broken and to add features. Simple zoom (mouse wheel, maybe) should be relatively simple, for example. I should have an updated version in a week or two. Let me know about any issues you find.

Archived