Home

My 100% Fix for Nvidia Vista Users

Christos K

I posted this fix awhile and it was unclear as exactly how to do it and I got no response as to whether it helped other players or not. So if this did work for you please post.

This is a Vista Fix that worked 100 % for me. First of this is a Vista Fix I discovered for Nvidia players, I am not sure if it will work with GPUs of different companies because it requires the Nvidia Control Panel. Well here are the steps:

1. Open your Nvidia Control Panel (It can be found in the normal control panel while in classic view or by right clickling on the desktop)

2. Once the Nvidia Control Panel is open switch the View from Standard to Advanced.

3. Now in Advanced View open 3D Settings.

4. Go to Program Settings.

5. You should now see what seems to be a list of games and other programs that use GPU functions.

6. Find the games list for S and there will be almost all Star Wars games.

7. Click on either Knights of the Old Republic games.

8. Change the Conforment Texture Clamp to Use OpenGL Specification.

9. Accept all/Ok to all and finish up.

10. Try playing the games.

You can try playing around with the other settings but I dont know what it will do. It looks more like settings you can access in game yourself. I hope this works and helps you KotOR experience. If this works for all Nvidia Vista users, I request a moderator perhaps stickies it for future users.

Well I am not an computer expert. But all I know is that I was playing around with the thing and i got it to work. Well what i think it does it changed the graphics simulator for the game so it uses OpenGL instead of the main simulator. And what exactly it is meant to fix well whenever I tried to play KotOR or KotOR 2 it would be VERY fuzzy and played terribly and when I tried to start a new game it would load half way to the new menu than go to a black screen. So the only way for me to change that was to edit a game save I created on another computer or available online which also played crappy and fuzzy so... I did that for awhile until I discoverd this fix.

Conformant Texture Clamp shouldn't affect fuzzy textures or poor framerate. All it does (or should do) is change GL_CLAMP calls to GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE. The call GL_CLAMP basically can result in visible seams around texture edges. It was an issue in the Quake engine, but not sure if the Odyssey engine uses that call. ATI doesn't offer that feature because they consider it something the game developer should fix. The only way it could be having such effects that I can see is if it also has some undocumented feature.

One way it to test would be to try an alternative method of changing the calls by using GLOverride instead of Conformant Texture Clamp in the drivers (FixClamp = 1 in opengl32.ini). If that doesn't have the same effect as Conformant Texture Clamp then it is doing something else under the hood. If that is the case, it would be very helpful for ATI users to know what that is.

More GL_CLAMP vs GL_CLAMP_TO_EDGE info here - http://www.opengl.org/resources/code/samples/sig99/advanced99/notes/node64.html

Yup, the Forceware version is what I was referring to. I was wondering if your fix would work on versions 180 and later, which seem to be causing problems with KotOR and the GeForce 8 series and later cards.

What card are you using?

i might add importantly that it worked breifly. my game has so many problems since vista that any recomendation Ive been given is to try and trick vista into thinking it can play the game, even though it can anyway. Having said that, this advice about open GL eliminated 1 of about 5 error messages I have received from time to time. Also when I did this my game was freshly installed and after updating it, it referred back to a no disk inserted error message which I received a lot. Then I had to uninstall and reinstall and now works again unupdated. Lame huh. I dont get it anymore. But it works aside from the 3/4 loading then crash.

Sorry to have not brought this up sooner. I will say that Christos' advice was awesome for solving one of many vista problems with this game, but vista is so tempromental that I think the wrong combination of updates and settings will cause failure inevitably.

Archived