Home

For all of you people still having problems running the game

Longcat

I still can't guarantee that it will work, but I can say with some certainty that this will work on 95-99% of Windows platforms.

Make a full install to HD, download this archive:

http://maybe.means.no/grim/GRIMDATA.rar

and extract it to your game folder. Overwrite all files when prompted.

Enjoy.

NB! Note that this will change the games written language to english! I don't own other language editions. The trick is to make a full install to hd, apply the patch from LucasArts yourself and replace the main executable with the one from my archive. The aforementioned can all be done with bgbennyboys installer for Grim Fandango:

http://quick.mixnmojo.com/grim-fandango-setup

Note!: This does not fix compatibility issues with newer Nvidia cards.

edit: post updated with new download link 05.07.2010.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Patches the game, disables hyperthreading and problems on dualcore systems. I might have changed more, but it's been so long since I made these that I can't really remember:P

I have the changelog somewhere, I'll dig it up tomorrow. Tested on XP, Vista 32 & 64 bit and on other Windows platforms by other users. I haven't met anyone who had problems running GF after applying this, but by all means, prove me wrong and I'll try to fix it.

Edit; oh, and I think there's a registry patch in there to enable the good_times key(debug mode) but you can already do that manually or through bgbennyboys installer methinks.

• 2 weeks later...

It definitely changes the language. Mine was in Spanish and after this all the written text (dialoge options and subtitles) changed to English. Any chance of releasing this in spanish or without changing the original language? Maybe is an .exe thing or something?

That is possible but unlikely.

I don't have the spanish or german editions so it's hard for me to test, but if any of you are able to send it to me(the main executable) I could fix it.

It's been a while since I messed around with these so I don't really remember what's what but I'll have a looksee:)

dude, sorry for the late reply.

that's actually what I thought...

No, the grim.tab file is only affected/updated by LucasArts own patch.

Which means, if you leave it intact it will not be patched but this has nothing to do with hyperthreading issues. One solution would be to install the game, patch it and then simply replace the main executable with the one from my archive.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

More than likely the source of your trouble is that on your computer F1 is bound to some other action. I'm not a user of Vista but I'm betting it's similar to the situation with OSX: on a Mac, F1 is bound to dimming the display. If I need to use F1 for a program-specific function (like bringing up a game menu in Residual or ScummVM) I have to press a key labeled fn along with F1 to override the OS keybinding. If there is some symbol on or above the F1 key on your keyboard, then I must be right in thinking it's basically the same on your computer. But I have no idea what other key you would need to press along with F1. It could be a special key like fn, whatever it's Vista label actually is, or it could something standard like ctrl, alt or the Windows key. You could check your OS documentation or just experiment.

More than likely the source of your trouble is that on your computer F1 is bound to some other action. I'm not a user of Vista but I'm betting it's similar to the situation with OSX: on a Mac, F1 is bound to dimming the display. If I need to use F1 for a program-specific function (like bringing up a game menu in Residual or ScummVM) I have to press a key labeled fn along with F1 to override the OS keybinding. If there is some symbol on or above the F1 key on your keyboard, then I must be right in thinking it's basically the same on your computer. But I have no idea what other key you would need to press along with F1. It could be a special key like fn, whatever it's Vista label actually is, or it could something standard like ctrl, alt or the Windows key. You could check your OS documentation or just experiment.

thanks that helped me:thmbup1:

• 3 months later...
I still can't guarantee that it will work, but I can say with some certainty that this will work on 95-99% of Windows platforms.

Make a full install to HD, download this archive:

http://folk.ntnu.no/bjarner/Grim/GRIMDATA.rar

and extract it to your game folder. Overwrite all files when prompted.

Enjoy.

NB! Note that this will change the games written language to english! I don't own other language editions. The trick is to make a full install to hd, apply the patch from LucasArts yourself and replace the main executable with the one from my archive. The aforementioned can all be done with bgbennyboys installer for Grim Fandango:

http://quick.mixnmojo.com/grim-fandango-setup

Note!: This does not fix compatibility issues with newer Nvidia cards.

Im using that modified setup, and it gives me the alternative to atleast play grim in windowed mode, cause choosing fullscreen causes game crasch directley

..i suppose my global destop resolution 1680X1050 can affect a bit :) so if i want to play in fullscreen what is the right resolution i must sett desktop to?

it thou troubles me to see that enabling 3d accelerator ingame causes some small ;) pixel looses, on the other hand i have setted my ATI with 8x anti aliasing and 16X anisotropic filtering, will that create same effect as the ingame graphic accelerator would have made?

so is there any one in here who plays with both 3d accelerator and it who can compare them?

• 2 weeks later...

GF runs with a native resolution of 640x480. The game should switch to that mode when you start it up anyway.

Please post a screenshot of what you mean by 'pixel losses'. GF runs fine on my ATi Radeon 4850 HD on an iMac with full hardware acceleration.

• 4 weeks later...
GF runs with a native resolution of 640x480. The game should switch to that mode when you start it up anyway.

Please post a screenshot of what you mean by 'pixel losses'. GF runs fine on my ATi Radeon 4850 HD on an iMac with full hardware acceleration.

f6e93428782540.gif 7b3be528782541.gif

Free Image Hosting by ImageBam.com

I posted this pics in another thread here earlier this year, you there replied on them that you think its caused by my graphic driver

i have tested alot of latest catalyst versions since i took this pics, it simply doenst wanna work on any of them

Perhaps if it exist some special inofficial radeon driver optimized to solve game troubles? when i still hade Geforce i know it existed such drivers atleast

or i must have some direction how to sett the latest catalyst drive right for Grim, there are tripple buffering, advanced AI etc, as we all know, perhaps thei can screw it up, but in my opinion i have tested all kinds of setting combinations, still i wouldnt trust on myself here

OK. The cause for this is your anti-aliasing setting, most likely. Do you know what you have FSAA set to currently?

This days i have ticked "application controlled" in catalyst, but i dont have Grim fandango installed now :) but if i do it, i take that as you would recommend keep having "application controlled"=0?

Archived