Home

For all of you people still having problems running the game

Longcat

When I try to play Grim Fandango, I have freezing and sound problems within the first few minutes. I used the installer suggested to install it onto my 64-bit Windows 7 and then I saw this forum to solve my new persisting -freezing and sound- problem. When I clicked on the link though, I got a "403 Forbidden" page. Is there a reason why this isn't available? Help would be appreciated. I've heard great things about this game and it seems pretty interesting thus far, but I'd like to be able to progress rather than replay the first few minutes. Thank you!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Yes, patch your original Italian version and replace the GRIM.TAB file in my archive with the one from that. I have not tested it tho.

I strongly advice you try running the game with Residual as it is now completable although still slightly buggy.

It's continues to goes in "Read Memory Error" and it's impossible to play!!

I have try anything but it's impossible to play.........

*EDIT*

I have play 3 years from windows.. it's possible with residual to import all original savegames ??

*EDIT 2PART*

OHHH YEAH!

I have found this patch here:

http://www.lucasdelirium.it/utility.php

After i have copied all file in my HARD DISK following the thread in this forum i have installed the patch 1.01 and after i have installed the patch v2 included in link post above!

After that directly from windows for me it's possible to finish the games without any crash.....

I thinks this patch working for all other language of this games and i thinks working in all windows (including windows 7) !! I thinks it's possibly to make a definitive guide:

- Installing the games with original CD or using mixmojo custom setup

- Installing the patch 1.01

- Installing this patch v2

- And now it's possibly or using the launcher 1.5 or using a no-cd version of exe without problems.

If you can try this solution!

• 1 year later...

I bought a copy of this long-desired game this summer. I downloaded a Grim setup and launcher, and the game started just fine. The problem I am running into now is that the game keeps freezing every few minutes--the music stops and the characters start to skip, typically on a line of dialogue--so I have to keep saving, quitting, and re-entering the program. I am using a Windows 7 laptop. I'm not very PC savvy, so any advice will have to be dumbed down quite a bit.

You'd actually be better of using Residual. The documentation on the website is perfectly clear, but basically you simply have to install Residual, create a folder in a convenient place on your hard drive to copy every file on the CDs ending with .lab plus the grim.tab file. You also would need to download to that same directory the Grim Fandango patch (available on the Residual website). You don't have to install it. You don't need to. Just put the patch executable in the same folder with the files copied from the CD. Then you run Residual and add the game. The interface is similar to ScummVM, so if you've used ScummVM, you've already got the basics of Residual. But you should read the documentation on the Residual website anyway.

There are other settings, like built-in antialiasing, but I'd focus on just the basic setup before bothering with tweaks.

Residual is still at an early stage of development, but it's gotten far enough that the game is completely playable with the only major bugs being graphical glitches.

As for what you've already installed, you could try fiddling with compatibility settings, but I think it's simpler to go with Residual. It's also already better than the original in one big way in that Residual fixes a major bug (that stops an important piece of dialog from ever happening) that even Tim Schafer didn't know existed until Residual found and fixed it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Well since the awesomely patched exe I heard so much about was pretty much gone from the innernets D:< I hunted a while and came up with a solution that seems to be working pretty darn perfectly.

Required items:

One computer

One copy of Grim Fandango that will get into the game (aka a version patched for modern pcs with a launcher I found somewhere a while back which didn't fix the problems but did make it install on a 64 bit system) or one that doesn't get that far and the 64 bit installer that I lost the link to

One copy of a launcher thing like the one found here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/Win2000_Launcher_d438.html

Recipe:

Step 1: Install Grim fandango with a 64 bit installer as found elsewhere in the internets

Step 2:Open Win2kLauncher or other similar program

Step 3:Fill out the program name as Grim Fandango (Or desired name within the launcher)

Step 4:Use the button in the launcher to browse to Grim fandango's main exe (or as I did due to laziness the other launcher's shortcut on the desktop(that is installed by the 64 bit installer))

Step 5:Give it whatever priority you feel it should have with the scroll bar (I went one off the max since the max seemed a bit high) and uncheck all the processor boxes apart from the first (it shows 9 boxes iirc even on dual core machines)

Step 6:Use the launch button in the win2klauncher after selecting the name you gave the profile for Grim Fandango

Step 7:?

Step 8:Profit (or just have fun playing Grim Fandango without any nasty audio freezing/game freezing, that works too)

So yeah I hope this helps anyone with problems in future.

Long live the slayer of all sketches!

None of that is even necessary any more. Residual is in a good enough state now. It has some issues--it's in a beta state right now--but it works, and has even fixed a number of bugs in the original game (including not being able to talk to Domino, usually, in Year 3). Just install Residual, make a folder for the game wherever on your hard drive, copy the .lab files from both CDs and grim.tab into it, put the patch executable in there as well (don't run it, just copy it), point Residual at the folder (it works like ScummVM) and you're golden.

• 1 month later...

Like stated above, my patch is now obsolete thanks tho the great efforts of the ResidualVM team. It is THE way to play Grim Fandango these days.

That being said, I still have the patched files, should anyone require them for some reason I can't think of right now.

Archived