Home

Problem with server loading

Themagusoflight

Hello to all. Sorry if this is a stupid question or anything like that, but I have to ask it. Why isn't my server loading? It seems to work perfectly, but then it reaches a point where it keeps repeating over and over either a hitch warning or that it's sending a heartbeat to masterjk3.ravensoft.com. And that's all it pretty much does.

Is this normal, since it's my first time trying to make my own server? Or is something wrong? I'd appreciate any insights on this.

Thank you.

By basejka I mean no mods, you didn't really say, but lots of people run JA+ or something that could be causing a problem.

Well, you say it's on a mac, and I dunno much about the port. Does the port come with its own Mac dedicated server? otherwise, the dedicated server download i've seen from raven has a windows .exe and a linux .so file.

And I should have asked earlier, but are you trying to play on this server from your own computer? or are you hosting it for other people to connect and play on. Because once you start a dedicated server, it's generally going to be a console window with text output that gives you information. Thats where the term dedicated comes from, the host isn't playing.

I have no idea if KOTF would be a problem, but I suspect it might be. I tried to stay as far away from that thing as possible :p

Generally you have a cable or DSL modem that connects to the internet, and then from that you connecte to a router. Then each computer/gaming console in the house connects to the router. A router requests one ip from your ISP and then translates each request to and from the computers in your house so that you can have multple things hooked to the internet but only use one IP. It also has firewalls, which block all ports except http, port 80, and whatever else you set it to open up.

Anyway, if your brother is in the same house as you, then you don't have to worry about forwarding any ports. You just start a game server, and then he starts his game and searches for servers making sure to put Local in and NOT Internet servers. Then he should be able to connect.

Well, I have a cable that connects me to the internet, and in System Preferences, it's called 'Built in Ethernet'. I don't see any way to alter the router or ports.

I don't think the problem is there, though. I can load a map and all that easily, but my brother can't find me in the listings. He's not in the same house as me, anyway. Also, when I'm in a loaded map, in 'About', it says that it's local. Should I be setting the 'Dedicated Server' option to LAN, maybe?

ah, well if he's not in the same house/network, then you'll need to find out your computers IP, an easy way to do this is to goto http://whatismyip.com/

then you will give your brother your ip and when he starts Jedi Academy, he can either add your server as a new favorite using the IP and then it will show up in his favorites in Jedi Academy, or he can simply open the console ( shift + ~ [the key to the left of 1]) and type /connect ipaddresshere

for instance, my ip is 209.159.238.23 so someone would type /connect 209.159.238.23

if he can't connect to your server when it's running, then you know you have a port problem and we can go from there.

just so we are clear, your ip is 98.132.more numbers?

If that's the case, then him not being able to connect means that the port isnt forwarded to your computer.

You say you just have a cable that connects to the internet, are you on a schools LAN or something? If this is the case, then you probably cannot host a server that your brother can join from outside the university because the schools admins won't forward ports to your computer.

Perhaps your brother could do the hosting, as you would have no problem joining a game.

If this isn't the case, then we'll have to go over routers and modems and things, thats the only other way to connect to the internet.

ah i see, it has changed, your first post here was 98.132.205.73

Your brother shouldnt have a problem joining, most likely the problem lies with your router. There is a good guide at http://www.portforward.com

configuring a static ip will probably be the first order of business

http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

After that you'll have to find the model of your router and the guide will show you how to foward ports for jka.

you can always use http://www.canyouseeme.org/ putting in the jka port of 28070 to see if that port is open. If it's not your router, or it's open and your brother still can't join, then either the problem is your isp, or his college.

Okay, I tried the first one, which just confused me, and the second one. It would normally work, only it claims that I have a 'Configure' icon in my Network System Preferences, which I don't. So I tried the third, which said that it couldn't see the service for that port because the connection was refused.

I'm beginning to think that something is very wrong with my computer......

Archived