Home

List of Ahto Imperial appointments: complaints

Adavardes

Mod note:This discussion is concerning this thread.

Since I was informed that it was off-topic to express my opinion in the thread, I'll just do it here, as Jae suggested.

It's off topic and belongs in a feedback thread if you want to gripe about it, and it has nothing to do with silencing an opinion, just cleaning up all this extraneous whining. Did it occur to you that Darth Insidious might not have been completely finished with his list? Why did you automatically assume you were being excluded intentionally just because you didn't end up on a list that he wrote at 3am?

Sounds to me like you're trying to justify something that shouldn't exist at all by saying that all of us might not be excluded, just some of us. The list, to be honest, is stupid, and shouldn't exist in the first place. It's just a reason to make people special and give them nonsensical titles that mean nothing and do nothing, other than exclude people they don't like. It is the very epitome of why I hated high school so much: immature, self-important people who think being popular and having a group of friends you can't be a part of makes them more than they are.

It's not fun, it's not satire, it's pathetic and rude to the rest of your members, regardless of how much it tickles your fancy to have a special title.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing is tickling my fancy for certain. I mean... I should have been at least Lord Chancellor. Hrmph.

I think that people are reading way too much into it, but with the level of hostility that's been growing around here recently, i'm not at all surprised.

Actually, it's not about the list at all; it's what it's alluding to while (supposedly) making fun of it at the same time.

I'm well aware of that, but I still think that people are seeing offence and insult where there was barely any to begin with, but maybe that's just my view.

Adavardes, you just want a custom user title, am I right?

Actually, I'm pretty happy with having no special titles at all, but I think it's still bogus to allow elitism to run rampant through the forums like this, reinforced by a clear and present bias in the staff for any one of their special people/friends. Stop making this about me wanting something special, because I don't. If they were to give me any, I would be inclined to have them remove it.

I'm well aware of that, but I still think that people are seeing offence and insult where there was barely any to begin with, but maybe that's just my view.

No, no, being very experienced with this kind of misunderstanding, I can say for certain, you are correct.

Actually, I'm pretty happy with having no special titles at all, but I think it's still bogus to allow elitism to run rampant through the forums like this, reinforced by a clear and present bias in the staff for any one of their special people/friends. Stop making this about me wanting something special, because I don't. If they were to give me any, I would be inclined to have them remove it.

See, no one can be friend with all staff members, so there is no 'them' in the first place. And just so you know, as soon as he reaches 1000 posts, any user can have his own custom title and change it any time he wants.

See, no one can be friend with all staff members, so there is no 'them' in the first place. And just so you know, as soon as he reaches 1000 posts, any user can have his own custom title and change it any time he wants.

1. Not all staff members are in the special group.

2. That literally has nothing to do with why the thread was demeaning and elitist.

Okay, serious business for a moment...

Adavardes, I can understand how the bitterness of high school has made you so distrustful of social groups and being in a position of being on the outside looking in. It's not a fun place to be in...

However, such experiences can also colour your view and you begin to see the fears you had in high school being echoed in anything you might find to be similar.

Yes, there are may social groups around LF and yes the staff are part of those different groups... however it's not one big elite group of super friends who go around acting tough and waving their e-penis' around. It realy is just a network of different small overlapping groups who of people who may or may not know each other.

For example, I know many of the people, both members and staff who frequent Ahto, however, it's pretty obvious that a lot of the people who are part of the group you have a problem with at the moment don't know me. Hell, I wasn't even named as one of the people in the opening post of that thread... that's because despite my 1999 join date and the amount of posts I have in Ahto, not everyone knows who I am... and I'm perfectly fine with being the one on the outside looking in and not getting any of the jokes the people on the inside are making.

I mean, everytime they say something that they think is funny but I don't, I figure "heh, guess you had to be there"...

I'm not going to give you advice on making friends here, you can make as many or as few friends as you want around LF... just letting you know that it's not some club where only the small few get special service and strippers in the back room.

Mod note: Err, moved to the Feedback thread instead from here.

Maybe it's fun for the "Ahto nobility", who all have special titles and ranks, and are special,

Custom titles are granted automatically when someone has made more than 1000 posts. And while I personally think it's a poor criteria to use, since quantity says nothing about quality, that's how it's been decided to be.

Ranks, if you mean moderator etc, is just a position/function -- given to some volunteering community members who's proven to be active, contributing and trustworthy -- to help take care of the forum and keep it free from spam, advertising and other disruptive things that tend to plague any forum that isn't actively maintained, and help out, if possible when conflicts arise between members. While there may be many around would would be suitable for such volunteer work, if they wanted to, you can't have too many doing it at once or chaos will ensue. :) A moderator's word only counts for more than other members' in matters pertaining to forum moderation.

If you mean the new badges, they were added as a positive recognition system for those who have done something out of the ordinary (won contests, contributed substantially etc). Many people find it nice to get a pat on the shoulder if you've done something special or spent a lot of their time doing something for others to enjoy, and this was meant as a virtual equivalent of that sort of thing. This feature is still new so guidelines for how it should be used, what badges should be there etc are still being decided upon. As such there is a certain amount of arbitrary judgment involved in those given out thus far, but that's essentially unavoidable unless you have rigid rules in place. There are threads in the LF Feedback forum if you want to give your input or suggestions, or nominate someone for a badge.

At this stage not everyone who's earned a certain badge has received it. As said, the feature is new, and the badges have to be given out manually by moderators. Lucasforums has many members, moderators have other things to do with their time as well and I doubt anyone would go through the whole member list to assign badges retroactively. Easier to take it as it comes to work off the back-log, and then mods would naturally give out badges to those they come to think of first. Is there favoritism involved in those decisions? Perhaps, in the sense that people they socialize with or have other regular dealings with would tend to first come to mind when these things are given out. You can help speed this process up though by using the nominations thread in the Feedback forum to point out who should get what.

Regarding cliques, do they exist? Most likely; people tend to make friends with others they find pleasant, entertaining, interesting or have something in common with. And people generally tend to joke around and socialize more closely with their friends than with others. I can't really see that anything could be done about that. It would be absurd to have a "You can either be friends with everyone or no one!" rule on a forum.

but it's not fun for anyone else.

You can never please everyone. People have very different mentalities, sense of humor and past experiences that color how they perceive things. If you could never post a joke unless you were 100% sure that everyone would find it fun you could never post anything at all.

Joking at someone elses' expense (harassment) is another matter. If that is the case here please point out how and why, because I can't even figure out what this thread was meant to be about, as it is. Language barrier I suspect.

But it's good to know that I'm going to be silenced for having an opinion, and being unlikable.

Somehow I don't see you being silenced, given that you are posting your opinions on this thread for everyone to read. To disagree with what someone is stating is not to silence them. If you are dragging a thread off-topic however (can't say if this is the case here since I have no idea what the topic is :)) a moderator would be within their rights to either split the conversation to a separate thread, or remove it.

As for being unlikable I'm hard pressed to understand why anyone would intentionally want to be that (unless I'm misunderstanding what you wrote). If you're actively trying to piss people off then perhaps it's not so strange if they react accordingly. This is a hobby forum people (presumably) visit for entertainment during their spare time. No one here is obligated to deal with every other member, and if someone is ruining their fun here or being generally unpleasant it's usually best to just ignore them.

Okay, serious business for a moment...

Adavardes, I can understand how the bitterness of high school has made you so distrustful of social groups and being in a position of being on the outside looking in. It's not a fun place to be in

However, such experiences can also colour your view and you begin to see the fears you had in high school being echoed in anything you might find to be similar.

Yes, there are may social groups around LF and yes the staff are part of those different groups... however it's not one big elite group of super friends who go around acting tough and waving their e-penis' around. It realy is just a network of different small overlapping groups who of people who may or may not know each other.

For example, I know many of the people, both members and staff who frequent Ahto, however, it's pretty obvious that a lot of the people who are part of the group you have a problem with at the moment don't know me. Hell, I wasn't even named as one of the people in the opening post of that thread... that's because despite my 1999 join date and the amount of posts I have in Ahto, not everyone knows who I am... and I'm perfectly fine with being the one on the outside looking in and not getting any of the jokes the people on the inside are making.

I mean, everytime they say something that they think is funny but I don't, I figure "heh, guess you had to be there"...

I'm not going to give you advice on making friends here, you can make as many or as few friends as you want around LF... just letting you know that it's not some club where only the small few get special service and strippers in the back room.

Yeah, I'm not buying that my judgment is flawed here. I've seen clear and present examples of why this entire forum is unjustly biased for whoever is in the group of tight-knit friends that can do no wrong, and that list was a perfect case of it occuring once again.

You can never please everyone.

My solution to that is don't make a list that you know is going to upset a large majority of people so that you can have a circle-jerk with your friends on a forum.

Yeah, I'm not buying that my judgment is flawed here. I've seen clear and present examples of why this entire forum is unjustly biased for whoever is in the group of tight-knit friends that can do no wrong, and that list was a perfect case of it occuring once again.

So, what do you suggest then? Got a solution for these problems? Obviously the staff can't be trusted.

EDIT:

My solution to that is don't make a list that you know is going to upset a large majority of people so that you can have a circle-jerk with your friends on a forum.

Ah, a solution. Check. I'll relay that to the rest of the staff. No fun from now on, it may or may not offend everyone on the Internet.

I'm pretty sure that it was no coincidence that DI and Litofsky started that thread mere hours after DI posted this in the badges thread:

Oooooo...K. That definitely clears one thing up, but it'd still be nice to know the criteria for the badge to avoid any further confusion. :)
To be recognized as one of the nomenklatura. Couldn't you guess?

Hence the evasion.

In short, they knew damn well what they were doing. Poop tends to stink when you stir it.

Pretty sure you can have fun without patting yourself and a few of your friends on the back for being so awesome.

No, cause if you have fun with someone else, and joke with them, then you're publicly showing that you like that person and want to hang out with them. We can't have any of that kind of favouritism going on, it'll destroy us all!

:drama:

Mod note: Err, moved to the Feedback thread instead from here.

Custom titles are granted automatically when someone has made more than 1000 posts. And while I personally think it's a poor criteria to use, since quantity says nothing about quality, that's how it's been decided to be.

Ranks, if you mean moderator etc, is just a position/function -- given to some volunteering community members who's proven to be active, contributing and trustworthy -- to help take care of the forum and keep it free from spam, advertising and other disruptive things that tend to plague any forum that isn't actively maintained, and help out, if possible when conflicts arise between members. While there may be many around would would be suitable for such volunteer work, if they wanted to, you can't have too many doing it at once or chaos will ensue. :) A moderator's word only counts for more than other members' in matters pertaining to forum moderation.

If you mean the new badges, they were added as a positive recognition system for those who have done something out of the ordinary (won contests, contributed substantially etc). Many people find it nice to get a pat on the shoulder if you've done something special, and this was meant as a virtual equivalent of that sort of thing. This feature is still new so guidelines for how it should be used, what badges should be there etc are still being decided upon. As such there is a certain amount of arbitrary judgment involved in those given out thus far, but that's essentially unavoidable unless you have rigid rules in place. There are threads in the LF Feedback forum if you want to give your input or suggestions, or nominate someone for a badge.

At this stage not everyone who's earned a certain badge have received it. As said, the feature is new, and the badges have to be given out manually by moderators. Lucasforums have many members, moderators have other things to do with their time as well, and would naturally give out badges to those they think of first. Is there favoritism involved in those decisions? Perhaps, in the sense that people they socialize with or have other regular dealings with would tend to first come to mind when these things are given out. You can help speed this process up though by using the nominations thread in the Feedback forum to point out who should get what.

Regarding cliques, do they exist? Most likely; people tend to make friends with others they find pleasant, entertaining, interesting or have something in common with. And people generally tend to joke around and socialize more closely with their friends than with others. I can't really see that anything could be done about that. It would be absurd to have a "You can either be friends with everyone or no one!" rule on a forum.

You can never please everyone. People have very different mentalities, sense of humor and past experiences that color how they perceive things. If you could never post a joke unless you were 100% sure that everyone would find it fun you could never post anything at all.

Joking at someone elses' expense is another matter. If that is the case here please point out how and why, because I can't even figure out what this thread was meant to be about, as it is. Language barrier I suspect.

Somehow I don't see you being silenced, given that you are posting your opinions on this thread for everyone to read. To disagree with what someone is stating is not to silence them. If you are dragging a thread off-topic however (can't say if this is the case here since I have no idea what the topic is :)) a moderator would be within their rights to either split the conversation to a separate thread, or remove it.

As for being unlikable I'm hard pressed to understand why anyone would intentionally want to be that (unless I'm misunderstanding what you wrote). If you're actively trying to piss people off then perhaps it's not so strange if they react accordingly. This is a hobby forum people (presumably) visit for entertainment during their spare time. No one here is obligated to deal with every other member, and if someone is ruining their fun here or being generally unpleasant it's usually best to just ignore them.

QFT - Stoffe this is why I miss your forum posts so :) Your the quiet wise person in the corner, that really should dispense wisdom more often

May I ask for you to present this evidence? I can also say that the staff to shock horror disagree from time to time, nor is the entire forum, biased against those outside the 'normal' forum Zeitgeist. Though unfortunately the majority will always react against those who are not 'normal'.

If I may comment I have seen a massive ammount of people upset at the thread.

... :ugh:

Ray, the list is exactly what I just said. A list of appointments for people who are apparently more awesome than anyone else, and deserve special titles and places in this little elite empire he's got going on.

Who's empire?

No, cause if you have fun with someone else, and joke with them, then you're publicly showing that you like that person and want to hang out with them. We can't have any of that kind of favouritism going on, it'll destroy us all!

You can show that favouritism privately, on your own time, in your personal profile conversations, via private message, or on an instant messenger. This was done in a way that excluded anyone else on a public forum, raising themselves above the others, and I'm tired of having this simplified when it's by no means an innocent thing.

... :ugh:

Ray, the list is exactly what I just said. A list of appointments for people who are apparently more awesome than anyone else, and deserve special titles and places in this little elite empire he's got going on.

Adavardes, you see ghosts he was merely copying this ancient thread http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?p=1256848#post1256848 as a result to my post here http://lucasforums.com/showpost.php?p=2589375&postcount=49

and don't you dare call the Emperor of Aresen an elitist snob, I tell you

Archived