Home

So... what are you reading right now?

Pavlos

I'm doing a brief stop with reading fiction right now. So I'm currently taking a look on "To read like a writer", by Francine Prose. I cant believe it took me so long to start reading that.

But since no will is made of steel, I'm also re-reading "As memórias póstumas de Brás Cubas", by Machado de Assis, a classic of brazillian literature. And oh so funny.

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great Idea! I've tried reading Dickens, but i've never been able to get very far into any of the ones i've tried so far.

If you can adjust to his self-taught style he's very readable. It is said that if you took away the name headers in a Shakespeare play, you could still tell who was speaking simply by the style, the same is probably true of Dickens. Every character speaks with their own, easily-identifiable voice or dialect.

If you want to get into Dickens then some of his shorter works, or so-called "sketches by Boz", might be your best bet. They're all written pre-Pickwick but even at age 21 you can see his judgemental, arrogant, and delightfully descriptive style flowing through. I'd recommend the 1835 sketch of Newgate prison. It essentially explains the gallows-haunted world of Oliver Twist.

Rereading

The Shaolin Way: 10 modern secrets of survival from a Shaolin Kung Fu grandmaster

By Steve DeMasco

--it is time I took my life a little more seriously--to be about my life. Furthermore I am learning to center my focus and attention.

Maybe now I'll get things done.

(Maybe a mod idea or 2 or 3 brought to life?) LOLZ

I am currently reading two of Tom Clancy's books, Debt of Honor, and Red Rabbit. Both are amazing with the information they contain and the plot that keeps me absolutley captivated with it. I think I'm a fan:D

Eh, I am reading The Day of Islam by Paul Williams. I'm only in the first chapter though....

I am also reading To Kill a Mocking Bird in my Language Arts class. I will probably have to write at least two essays on it...:indif:

Those are excellent books indeed, Rev! To Kill a Mockingbird is probably one of the classics:D

I'm reading 'American Gods' by Neil Gaiman. My brother recomended it to me.

I'm not very into it yet. Although, I might do some reading later tonight.

Keep at it. American Gods is one of my favorite books of all time.

Then check out Anansi Boys also by Gaiman. It's along the same lines with old gods in the modern world.

I'm working on Ender's Game. from what I've read, I want to read the sequels.

Just be warned that while the other books are just as good they are a completely different feeling story. However the Bean series is a more spiritual sequel than the actual sequels are. So make sure you read them all!

Oh, and I'm reading the Belgariad by David Eddings.

Right now?

Some magic the gathering novel Agents of Artifice or something like that. Its an ok story, not the best. And the sloppy editing isnt helping it any.

In my pile of to-be-read:

Fairy Tail 4 and 5 (manga)

God's Demon (Wayne Barlowe)

Inferno (Larry Niven and jerry Pournelle)

Escape From Hell (see above)

I love Neil Gaiman's books. Read Stardust and Neverwhere; two of my favourites from him. Though I liked the movie version of Stardust better than I did the comic form (never read the novel form).

Yeah, I am not really that into To Kill a Mocking Bird, but I have only finished the second chapter. I guess that it would be a little bit more fun if I didn't have to pick it apart so much....for example one of the 5 long answer questions that I have to answer for Chapter 1

3. As you read, remember that for every yin there is a yang. Harper Lee uses people, places, things, ideas, words, etc. as symbols to juxtapose opposites. For example, Atticus symbolizes the opposite of Miss Stephanie. Explain the differences.

Harper Lee creates other pairs in Chapter one. List others that you find.

Yay for school!

Fahrenheight 451... Ugg. Boring. I wish school would give me something I'd enjoy to read, like a starwars or startrek book. But then there's the other students, so of course they've got to choose something neutral. Some kids like sci-fi books, others drama books, others well written classics...

But I suppose that I am learning at least a few things through being required to read this book. I've got to try to be appreciative of learning... Even if it is sometimes rather dull and boring.

^ How can you honestly say Fahrenheit 451 was boring? It is one of my favorite books of all time. Granted, it was a little slow, but the amount of detail that goes into developing the characters and surroundings are extremely interesting in my opinion.

^ How can you honestly say Fahrenheit 451 was boring? It is one of my favorite books of all time. Granted, it was a little slow, but the amount of detail that goes into developing the characters and surroundings are extremely interesting in my opinion.

Agreed, in fact I'd say that I didn't even find it slow at all, it was awesome. You should be glad your school gives you books like that to read at all, Arc: our school never gave us external books to read on account of our failsauce education system, and the "books recommendation" page they gave us never included anything newer than a 100 years old. :p

Archived