Home

So... what are you reading right now?

Pavlos

Finally finished Master & Commander after being distracted by exam revision. I must say, I'm glad to have read it, for it was very engaging and, indeed, enjoyable to read. Also stormed through Mr. Midshipman Hornblower, which seemed a lot simpler after rather more technical Master & Commander. Still good, though.

I'm now about a third of the way through Lieutenant Hornblower. I've still got Hornblower and the Hotspur left to read after that, then perhaps I can consider buying more!

Thanks to all who recommended them!

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Finished with Neuromancer and disappointed by the read, not in the book, but I just find William Gibson a difficult writer.
Ever read any of Neal Stephenson's works, particularly Snow Crash?

Think of Deus Ex, but with MMOs, psychoactive drugs via the Internet, and a katana and minigun-wielding pizza deliveryman as a protagonist.

Ever read any of Neal Stephenson's works, particularly Snow Crash?

Yes, I've heard of this man and book a lot on the Deus Ex 3 forums. I was curious about it at first, but I have to read anything that involves katana and pizza in the same sentence.

• 2 months later...

N.K. Sanders' translation of Gilgamesh. I've reached Utnapishtim's account. The epic repetition is wearing a little thin but at least it gets to the point, unlike the classical epics and their pages and pages of circumlocution as when a fly reaches the window, and, bashing into it, recoils dizzily and turns again, circling the room for another way out, or a moth, drawn to the lightbulb, falls and, cont, p.1094

as when a fly reaches the window, and, bashing into it, recoils dizzily and turns again, circling the room for another way out, or a moth, drawn to the lightbulb, falls and, cont, p.1094

Aeneid V? My particular favourite is when Virgil parallels Aeneas to the speck of dust atop Olypus' height; "pater Aeneas" and so forth.

I'm reading Chaucer's "Troilus and Criseyde" at the moment, myself.

Recently got a bunch of Star Wars books. Just finished Shadows of the Empire and the first two books of the Han Solo trilogy. Soon, onto the post-RotJ books, I suppose.

And the first two Darth Bane books, if I can get my hands on them.

And The Phantom of the Opera. Saw a pretty good movie version of it recently, and I haven't read the book since I was ten...so I figured I might as well reread it.

After I'm done with the Star Wars books. ;)

@Tot: I love the Star Fist books when I can get my hands on them!

In fact, I'm reading Star Fist: Technokill right now. Along with whatever I happen to find. Just finished reading David Weber's "By Heresies Distressed", the series (which began with "Off Armaggedon Reef") is arguably one of the top 10 Science Fiction stories I've ever read.

Archived