Home

So... what are you reading right now?

Pavlos

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^^Sounds like a good read next for me as well. I am currently inactively working on that same Levin's title. Try out Savage's stuff sometime if you're into sharp sarcasm and satire... with side anecdotes on cars, sailing, and food.

I also can't seem to put down my Kendo book mentioned earlier in the thread and may well pick up another.

Just bought my friend Instructables' printed book. Their NES PC project alone is worth it...

Aeneid V? My particular favourite is when Virgil parallels Aeneas to the speck of dust atop Olypus' height; "pater Aeneas" and so forth.

I was thinking more of X, or Odyssey passim. :p

Right now I'm re-reading The Loved One by Evelyn Waugh, which I hope to finish soon, more because it's very short and there are other things I'm looking forward to reading than because of the writing, which is an absolute joy. If it's not on your list of things to read, it should be.

I also just finished Gatsby and found my opinion at its beginning thoroughly confirmed at its end.

Everybody Poops

By far the most successful portrayal of human psychology I've ever read to date. It really makes us consider the meaning of "everybody" and why we must ALL poop..as a means of acceptance...

lol nah..In all honesty, I'm only reading school materials atm. I started The Time Traveller's Wife at the beginning of the summer (yea girly I know..and I didn't know a movie was coming out for it when I started it XD) but I tend to get really distracted and quit reading a book for a couple weeks then read it a bunch..then quit reading it for another couple weeks. *shrug* ah well.

Since I'm finaly enjoying the joys of uni life, the books I read tend to focus on how misserable the world is and how we continue to **** it up. Still, I'm reading "Time to eat the dog?" The real guide to sustainable living, which is a must read if you happen to want to know how to really make a difference.

Working on Terry Goodkind's 'Faith of the Fallen' right now, and I'll start his next book in the series after I finish this one. I'm also reading a couple books on writing books and working through the exercises to build my story up. I've gotten some great ideas to incorporate into my Dragonfighters story.

• 4 weeks later...

Attempting to read Five Families: The Rise, Decline, and Resurgence of America's Most Powerful Mafia Empires by Selwyn Raab for about the fourth time now. It's an interesting book (i've always been fascinated by organised crime), but I swtich off after a few chapters.

I'm reading a book called Coleridge on Imagination by the fantastically named Ivor Richards; not sure how a name like that happened, to be honest. He's basically on a (largely successful) quest to answer Byron's lampoon about Coleridge's philosophies:

And Coleridge, too, has lately taken wing,

But like a hawk encumber'd with his hood, --

Explaining metaphysics to the nation --

I wish he would explain his Explanation.

My mind is swimming with phrases like "subject-object coalescence" and "secondary imagination".

Just finished the Power at Sea series, which was pretty interesting. Was a brief history of the world's navies from 1885 to 2004 3 parts, very interesting.

Also read:

The Hero - John Ringo

American Spartans - ??

Eh, I like the hero, and it is likely the greatest story of morality written within the past 5 years, but American Spartans was just poorly written. Interesting subject matter: USMC from Iwo Jima to Iraq, but it was just very poorly written.

Current Book:

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress - Robert Heinlein

Appears interesting, a revolution on the Moon in 2075 or so.... I guess I'll read it.

That's about it for me.

• 3 months later...

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde - a book with a great premise and an excellent plot, lazily put together. This would work much better as a play. Worth reading, but don't try and read it all - skip the paragraphs where Wilde has clearly copied from museum catalogues, for example. The florid descriptions can grate quite a lot, too.

The Man Who Was Thursday by G.K. Chesterton - Kingsley Amis described this as the most thriling book he ever read, and it's easy to see why. This is Chesterton's genius in concentrate, a thriller par excellence. Beautifully sculpted, by turns brilliantly funny and horrifying. A book that must be read.

Rumpole and the Penge Bungalow Murders by John Mortimer - 200 pages of fluff, but entertaining fluff. Rumpole, an aging, eccentric barrister who only takes criminal cases and who will only act as the defence, reminisces about his first big case - a murder case in which he acted without a more senior barrister or a more junior, and won, in spite of the way the evidence looked.

Nation by Terry Pratchett - at times this feels rather like the inverse of CS Lewis, in that Pratchett almost seems to want to beat his secular humanism into your skull in the way Lewis hammers his Christianity down your throat, but mixed in with that is a story of sorts. I say of sorts, because, while the book entertains, the story is pretty thin on the ground behind the idealism.

Entertaining, perhaps, but not one of Pratchett's best by a long chalk. In places it feels distinctly like this non-Discworld book would really, really like to be a Discworld novel but he just feels he can't start a new character thread. Its a pity, because after reading the excellent Unseen Academicals I had hoped that Pratchett was back on form - which he is, but Nation is part of the 'low' period. I can think of others I'd recommend before this one.

Alien Bodies by Lawrence Miles - Arguably one of the best Doctor Who books ever written, I'd say it was fun, light, exploding with good and at times shockingly revolutionary ideas, nicely crafted characters, and an excellent premise. Even if you loathe it, it's hard to deny that this book is probably te most influential thing to happen to Doctor Who since... probably the revelation of the Time Lords in 1969, if not their re-revelation in 1976. Very good stuff.

The Eight Doctors by Terrance Dicks - The flip-side of Miles' novel, this is execrable. Trite, lazy, thrown-together claptrap you'd do well to avoid completely. Don't even look at it sideways. It's awful.

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce - well-written self-indulgence that's almost as dreary as the events it recollects. Pretty dire. I haven't finished "Portrait" yet, and in truth have been finding things to distract from it.

The Girl Who Played with Fire - Written by Stieg Larsson

The book is about a social misfit hacker and a succesful journalist.

It's a follow up to the highly acclaimed The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo

You really need to read the first book in the series to understand why and how these two persons meet and why they're being in that situation.

But the Millenium-series is one of the best books I've ever read (There's three books: The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire and The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets' Nest ) and I recommend it to everyone who wants a good novel series.

Rifles: Six years with Wellington's legendary Sharpshooters by Mark Urban - a history of the 95th Rifles (the same regiment depicted in Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe novels. Only a few pages in so far, but it is very interesting.

And The Pirate Ship 1660-1730 by Angus Konstam - an interesting resource on the ships favoured and used by pirates during the 'Golden Age' of piracy.

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde - a book with a great premise and an excellent plot, lazily put together. This would work much better as a play. Worth reading, but don't try and read it all - skip the paragraphs where Wilde has clearly copied from museum catalogues, for example. The florid descriptions can grate quite a lot, too.

Yes, the museum bits I considered skipping but I decided to go through any way. It's not like you see a lot of them in modern literature and besides, even if he did copy it, it involved more work than mere Ctrl+c/ctrl+v back then. :D

Just finished Haruki Murakami's After Dark and will be starting Ian MacDonald's River of Gods, a cyberpunk novel set in mid-21st-century India, shock of shocks.

Archived