So... what are you reading right now?

Pavlos

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 months later...

Ooh, long time no post in this thread. I've been reading this:

51oXmwfGmaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Combines my love for science fiction and history, as Asimov was influenced by "The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire" by Edward Gibbon. Hell, he even names one of his characters Pirenne, after the great Belgian historian Henri Pirenne who wrote about the early middle ages and the decline of trade.

Ooh, long time no post in this thread. I've been reading this:

*snip*

Combines my love for science fiction and history, as Asimov was influenced by "The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire" by Edward Gibbon. Hell, he even names one of his characters Pirenne, after the great Belgian historian Henri Pirenne who wrote about the early middle ages and the decline of trade.

I've had a similar set on my bookshelf for years. One day I'll eventually read them.

Currently reading this -

picture.php?albumid=678&pictureid=9457

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well the title says it all. I'm about to leave to a camp for two weeks where it's zero electronics. So I'm looking at a couple good books. Reall I will read any type of books but here is a small list of some books I have read and enjoyed.

The fault in our stars

All the choose your own adventure books

That was then this is now

All the hairy potter books

Divergent, insurgent

Zombie prejudice

Damaged and damaged 2.

Don't we already have a thread like this? Bah, no matter.

Edit: NVM. :D

The seventh book in the Mercy Thompson series: Frost Bitten. By Patricia Briggs.

It's a modern times setting in Washington state, tri cities area. It's about wherewolves and vampires. Never was into that mystical stuff until now. Hard to follow if you just got into it like I have. I understand there's also a comics series based on the novels. I like it so much I'm going to get more into it. What drew me was, well, Mercy Thompson on the front and her Native American appearance. Since I'm looking to connect with my roots in that direction now in my later twenties it seemed like a good title. Something new, a departure from my usual. I know, never judge a book by its cover, but even for an impulse buy I am quite glad I did.

Scientific American. Home Made Laser literature.

Currently I am reading about Jeffery Levatter's high school science project from 1971. The plans/information tells of the science and technical aspects of this project. Parts are listed. What it's about (s you'd surmise) is making a Co2 laser. Particularly of the older designs by hobbyists and amateurs using an axial flowing gas cavity for ionization. In this one you may either make your resonant mirrors by hand (much like making them for telescopes), or you can buy some per-manufactured mirrors for it. The power supply a simple high compliance design of a rectified Neon Sign Transformer, or a similar rectified NST for sustaining power but with a triggering circuit to give it the ignition required to start the tube to ionize and lase.

As you may be aware a Co2 gas laser is of considerable optical power output at 10.6 micron wavelength (deep infrared).

Though newer designs tend to use sealed laser tubes with integrated optics, one could still substitute a modern design's inverter power supply with the older NST schemes.

It's neat to look back at now "classic" designs of things which are still high tech today.

Also of Sci Am laser literature:

Helium Mercury ion laser. Comparatively simple design requiring some glass blowing, making the brewster window ends, fabrication of the leads, the metal frame for the tube, and administering the mercury as well as the helium.

The power supply interestingly is direct contact for sustaining the ionization, but requires an Oudin coil (RF) for startup.

What are interesting about this particular laser are that is does not require as low of a pressure as others (your vacuum pump doesn't need to pull as much vacuum), it has a very high gain for a gas laser, a wider bore than other gas lasers making resonator mirror alignment MUCH less critical, and a dual wavelength output: Orange 615nm, and yellow-green 565nm.

It's a fairly unique laser among others.

The Shaolin Way by Steve Demasco.

This is a book which introduces readers to shaolin philosophy for everyday life in a modern way so lay people can understand. Demasco is a shaolin kung fu practitionaer and grandmaster--an honor few Americans can claim. I have truly enjoyed his point of view for many things. I have re-read his passages about finding oneself and discovering one's self-worth, along with how such a mindset is necessary for confidence and sustaining the will to achieve life's goals. It is resonating with me now as I look at things differently in a new way.

Perhaps age appropriate for a guy in his late twenties, looking at thirty not too far away.

I just finished:

Inside the Jihad - its a bit outdated being from 2007, but if you ignore all of the talk about governmental change not being possible in places like Egypt and Syria, it does give a good and interesting look at the reaction of the Middle East to 9/11, as well as major opinions held by different radical groups in the region over the past 50 or so years.

Starbuck'd

One of the most interesting books I've read recently, its a fairly objective case study of Starbucks, its effect on society and the industries connected with starbucks and the coffee industry in general. If you want to love or hate starbucks after reading it, you'll be out of luck, because it leaves starbucks in a very grey shade.

Through the Bramblebush - its about law school, unless you're going to law school you won't care.

Modern Russia - a basic introduction to Russian society and history over the past 200 or so years. As with the first, its outdated being from 2003, and barely even discussing Putin, but historically and socially it was quite fascinating for a lay person.

Archived