Home

The Very First Adventure Game You Ever played?

Nickelstein

It's the Last Crusade for me too. It was actually one of my first ever video games and my first encounter with Indy also. Used to think it was really scary at some parts. I'm glad I never got past the Castle Brunwald to see Indy's head explode at the end until much later. That game taught the young me a lot of things, including the knowledge that Nazis are evil and adventure games are fun. Still makes sense.

Granny's Garden on the BBC Micro Computer. One of my earliest memories is from when I was three years old and playing it with my sister.

The game is about children being kidnapped by an evil witch. You have to venture into this garden, which is miles in size, and full of puzzling obstacles. For instance at one point you have to get past four dragons who all like and dislike different foods, and the aim is to get past them by making them sneeze in the right sequence (or something: I forget the details).

At one point there's an adventure game style map where you can chose what location you want. It's basically a text adventure, but with some (very primitive!) graphics and sound to go along with it.

I mainly played it when I was older, but back when I was three I remember the Witch very well. If you fail any of the puzzles she appears all of a sudden, like LeChuck in the underground tunnels. She cackles (well, a few burping bleeps that sound like laughter) and her three pixels rotate in a way that could signify movement. Then you get the message "Ha ha! Now I've caught you! I will send you home at once" and you see a giant bird picking you up and flying you far away. As you can imagine, the Witch is one scary bitch.

The game's quite brilliant, as it ends by saying "Granny calls you in for tea." The whole adventure, of rescuing princes and outsmarting trolls and dragons, has taken place in your imagination one afternoon while at Granny's house. It's a bit like Monkey Island 1 and 2, I guess, in the way it works with the idea of a child's boundless imagination. And all this from 1983.

More information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granny%27s_Garden

I can't remember if I played Myst or Zork Nemesis first, but I am leaning towards Zork because I remember I actually got rather far in that game for being so young at the time, where as Myst I was pretty clueless. As for LucasArts adventure games, I am rather ashamed to admit I did not play any of them until maybe a year ago on scumm vm. :o

Space Quest 1:VGA

Wonderful memories.

Now the question of which adventure game I first finished without a hint book? Couldn't tell you. maybe Grim Fandango, no... maybe... I don't think I've ever finished an adventure game without some hint book or something. I'm just so stupid.:(

Ah, Remembrance. When Six, I happened upon a Lucasarts demo disc, thinking it was a free, real game. On it, Curse of Monkey Island. I experienced it, still young, unable to grasp the humour or wondrous escapism, knowing it to be more resonant than any static disney movie, deeper and wider than Sonic The Hedgehog (My first Actual video game), and otherworldly. The sadness, I thought the Demo was the full Game! And I couldn't read too well at the time, so I didn't learn the title until many years later. I spent Ten years looking for Monkey Island, before I played it through.

First adventure game I played and beat, Pajama Sam 1. Dark and brilliant. Like the communist carrots, or all the Looking-Glass throwbacks, or the crazy laboratory where you could drink potions. God I loved that game.

Hihi @Barone

"Early exercise, which wants to become a master." :D (A german proverb)

Oh I forgot: Welcome to the forums. :)

Sure thing! I kept playing every LSL until Love for Sail, wich I believe that was the last one. As I grew older I started to understand the jokes and I liked the whole series even more... it's a shame that I lost my discs :(

Thanks for the welcome! :D

My first adventure game was Dott.

I played it at my cousin, and even though I didn't have a clue what it was about. (I was 7 at the time, with almost no knowledge of the english language). The cartoony graphics and outrageous characters got to me.

They had to beat me with a stick to get me away from their computer to play some strategy game, which I didn't like at all.

It's basically, with Full Throttle and Sam and Max, the game that taught me the English language.

On Leisure Suit Larry:

I was 10 when I first played Love for Sail, I rented it from the local Library.

My mom and dad were never that fussy about nudity and such, they aren't that fussy about it in the Netherlands, although I don't think they knew exactly what it was about.

When I accidently came upon the "the Juggs" easter egg, I was at the same time interested and scared that someone might come in.

At dinner I told my parents about the game, and the Where's Dildo's, which I called Willie het Worstje (Willie the saucage).

I don't know what they thought, but they've never told me to not play it.

It's still one of my favorite adventure games.

My first adventure games where four because I can't remember which one I played first. I was 8-9 years old, and my school had recently opened a computer class, the PCs were a bit old, even for that time. But thanks to that I had access to a number of early PC games of all colors and flavors. Man I miss those days.

The four adventure games it had were Last Crusade, MI1, Loom and Maniac Mansion. I haven't managed to play much back then, because we simply hadn't much time to play.

It was with Full Throttle and The Dig when I really got deep into it.

Archived