Home

The Very First Adventure Game You Ever played?

Nickelstein

The first adventure game I completed was Maniac Mansion, but I believe the first adventure game I ever played was Space Quest II. My dad just bought an IBM computer, and his friend brought over a bunch of games for us. Space Quest II was the only game that I remember from that lot. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but never got too far. I was really young, so I would see the Sierra death screen a lot. :) I never did finally complete it until just recently.

Another adventure game that I played a whole bunch on that computer was the Roger Rabbit game Hare Raising Havoc. I know I didn't play that before Space Quest because my dad's friend had to install a 1MB RAM upgrade, and I remember I had a Super-VGA monitor at that point (I bought it for Commander Keen, but it was great to have it for this game :D). I also bought a Disney Soundsource to hear the speech too. :) I never completed that game either, but I remember I got pretty far. I don't know how close to the end I got, but I remember I got up to the milk factory.

• 3 weeks later...

For me it was Zak McKracken on my friend's 286. We didn't have the Visa codes meaning we couldn't travel out of the states, but his brother had a saved game slot in Katmandu so we could play both halves of the game separately :-) It was like a dream come true the day the internet arrived and I could download the Visa codes and play the whole thing through!

My brother made me play Day of the Tentacle a couple of years ago, he told me it was really good and that I should play the other Lucas Arts adventures too. I was used to modern graphics, so DotT (with it's quite good graphics) helped me getting into the old games. After that I played Monkey Island 1 and a lot of other Lucas Arts games.

I don't remember the name, but it was a Where's Waldoish game where you try and catch this yellow guy (a bear?). There were a bunch of nursury rhymes in it when you clicked on different items in the level. It wasn't exactly a traditional item-collecting adventure game, but it was also the first videogame I'd ever played.

After that, I remember a bunch of my brothers' friends would crowd around the computer as we tried to solve puzzles in the Journeyman Project: Turbo! . We spent hours repeating the same levels because no one had introduced a save feature to us. I was too young to understand all the futuristic jibber-jabber, but I distinctly remember it all involved traveling through time to stop some guy from srewing up history. Another first was the Neverhood, but my siblings thought it was strange, and I was too little to figure out some of the puzzles, so the first game I beat was Fate of Atlantis.

It is easily one of my favorites. I found it again about a year ago and played it all the way through. It'll hook you with it's surrealism and the fact that you don't even know what's going on until the end. I don't know if I'd pay 90 bucks for it on ebay, though. That's absolutely crazy. Glad I already own it. :)

i started rather late with computer games ( i played a lot with my Sega Game Gear before), but my first pc game was an adventure game, namely the fabulous Curse of Monkey Island! I remember that i got it from my parents, because of a good mark in a math test.

i didn't have internet at that time, so no cheap walkthrough-reading-puzzles-soluting. i rather asked a friend of mine at school, who recommended me CMI in the first place, for advice and somedays we played CMI together.

After CMI, i bought all the Classic LucasArts Adventures and many more...

The first true adventure game I ever played was "Are you afraid of the Dark: Orpheo's Curse" (game based on the TV show). It actually was quite good and really creeped me out when I was a little kid. I remember I'd stay up late at night and get real scared...yeah, I'm that cool lol.

I was also playing Fate of Atlantis around the same time or so as well.

The first ever adventure game I ever played was none other then The Secret of Monkey Island on the Amiga 500 way back in 1990 this was also the first time I was introduced to LucasArts (or LucasFilm Games as they were known then) and have been a fan ever since. Can't believe in 2010 it will be 20 years I've playing adventure games and it will also be Monkey Islands 20th as well since it was released my does time pass when your having fun.

• 1 month later...

I think it may have been GIZMOS AND GADGETS which was a free game I got when I was 8. You basically went around collecting parts for a car/boat/plane/thing, solved puzzles to get parts and the aim was to get the best parts possible and then race against a mad scientist or something.

Or it was a CD I got from a cereal box containing 4 demos of Humongous Entertainment Games. Freddy Fish, Spy Fox, Putt Putt (?) and something else. I hated all of the games and threw the disc away almost immediatly after installing them. After wards I hated graphic adventures and never played any until Grim Fandango when I was 12/13.

Or it was a CD I got from a cereal box containing 4 demos of Humongous Entertainment Games. Freddy Fish, Spy Fox, Putt Putt (?) and something else. I hated all of the games and threw the disc away almost immediatly after installing them.

Blasphemy! Those games were great! Not only were they by Ron Gilbert and use SCUMM, they were amazing! (Granted, because it's by Ron, it's automatically amazing).

My first was Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade on a 1991 Win3.11/DOS computer. VGA version, of course.

Blasphemy! Those games were great! Not only were they by Ron Gilbert and use SCUMM, they were amazing! (Granted, because it's by Ron, it's automatically amazing).

My first was Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade on a 1991 Win3.11/DOS computer. VGA version, of course.

I was about eight at the time and I hated how childish the games were. I didn't like the characters or the stories so I just stopped playing them.

Archived