Home

new characters

newbiemodder

I'm a newbie modder just starting out with kotor tool and feeling my way around. I'm ok with items but can't figure out characters. For starters, I want to take an existing character template and insert him in a module using kotor tool map editor. Ex) Taking a basic dark jedi male--rename him Darth---- and put him in a module. The module editor under the user tabs says to use the userpalette folder for mod. What files do I put in there and how? Nothing seems to work. Thanks. The first of many questions

First of all welcome to Holowan :waive1:, now if I'm correct what you want to do is create a new character and place that character into a certain module of the game correct? However, from what I can gather by the way you described it, what you are doing is creating that character and placing him in the module itself which means that in effect you are not only editing a character (.utc) but you're also editing the entire module meaning that for this to work you will need to replace the entire module of the game. Now 99.99% of the time, for implanting a new character into a module, this is not the way you want to do this. What you should do is create your new character (.utc file) place the items, etc. that you want him/her to carry and then use a script to "spawn" your character to specific X,Y,Z coordinates in a given module. That being said, I'm not the guy you want to talk to about scripting, scripting is not, nor has it ever been my forte, but I'm sure someone here can help you out if you want to go that route.

^Correct. Also Map editor only works for a few modules, it is much more efficient(and you will learn a lot more along the way) to use K-GFF Editor. And all edited modules(maybe except for some script) require a save before going to that module, for it to change.

For the scripting, you could use this script from tk102's "Frequently used script function":

/* Possible Object types:
OBJECT_TYPE_CREATURE 
OBJECT_TYPE_ITEM          
OBJECT_TYPE_TRIGGER    
OBJECT_TYPE_DOOR        
OBJECT_TYPE_WAYPOINT 
OBJECT_TYPE_PLACEABLE
OBJECT_TYPE_STORE  */

// for the 3 floats in the function below
// you can use the X, Y, Z coordintates from
// the whereami cheat code
vector vPosition=Vector(0.0, 0.0, 0.0);

location lWhereToSpawn=Location(vPosition,0.0);

CreateObject( OBJECT_TYPE_CREATURE,
"object_template",lWhereToSpawn);

If you don't know anything about compiling scripts check Darth333's guide.*

Also, the easiest way to fire a script in my opinion is to attach the script to a dialog option (you could use KOTOR Tool for K1, but you have to use DLGEditor for TSL]

*http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=143681

Archived