Home

Best Mods (of any game)

Serpentine Cougar

As a long time fan of the Total War series, there have been two that have always stuck out for me - The Lord of the Rings Total War mod for Rome (it literally creates an entirely new game). There's something awesome about this:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
rohirrim5.jpg

And this:

Show spoiler
LOTRTW-Noldor.jpg

and For King or Country for Medieval 2, which is a brilliant English Civil War mod.

Conversion pack 2.0 for battlefront 2, it was like getting the equivalent of 2 expansion packs(had LA bothered to make expansion packs for BF2) for free.

Garrys Mod of course

Zodiac campaign for Deus Ex

Shifter/ Hardcore for Deus Ex, I like them both too much to decide

Chimera for Swat 3

Unofficial 1.13 patch for Jagged Alliance 2: If your mod includes more weapons all with new skins than the shipped game in addition to a number of other features its gotta be good.

Desert Combat, Battlefield 1914 for BF 1942.

As a long time fan of the Total War series, there have been two that have always stuck out for me - The Lord of the Rings Total War mod for Rome (it literally creates an entirely new game). There's something awesome about this:

Show spoiler
rohirrim5.jpg

And this:

Show spoiler
LOTRTW-Noldor.jpg

i think the awesome thing about that is...

... everything about it :eek:

I like mods that allow me to use more of the story or to make other parts of the game less tedious.

Sims 2:

I have one that allows Adults and Elders to go to college, and an "alarm clock" that keeps college characters from graduating too quickly.

Civilization 2:

Battle of the sexes - a scenario that is just as good to snicker at as play.

Alien invasion - an X-Files type scenario with alien and human units that weighs heavily on espionage over brute force.

Pirates: Live the Life

More gold for Merchants - makes the "buy (or steal) low, sell high" actually feasible by giving the merchants in port enough gold to afford your goods.

Ship name pack - Makes it a lot nicer than running into fifty "Santa Marias" in the same game. I also rename my first two ships "Gato Negro" and "Gato Blanco"

Speed Mod - Speeds up the clock and your ship for those long, tedious voyages.

(Oh, and a supersition of mine; I always say "YES" to any recruits from Calico Jack. Jack wasn't much to speak of, but his lieutenants brought new meaning to the axiom "the female of the species is more deadly than the male!")

KOTOR

Nothing aces Brotherhood of Shadow. A new sidequest, a recruitment mod, flashbacks to Revan's previous life, subtle and explicit ties to K2...There is nothing that comes close in terms of exhibiting the power of a first-class modder.

Yavin 4 - a somewhat clunky translation job doesn't do much to hurt this ambitous mod. The reskins are very well done and fit together logically.

Nothing aces Brotherhood of Shadow. A new sidequest, a recruitment mod, flashbacks to Revan's previous life, subtle and explicit ties to K2...There is nothing that comes close in terms of exhibiting the power of a first-class modder.
The writing was bad, there were too many spelling and grammatical errors, the implementation was sloppy and there were too many bugs upon release!

Anyways, the only mod I've ever really enjoyed playing was an old Jedi Knight 2 mod named the Ladder. The one with the Smack My Bitch Up for background music. :p

Star Trek: Bridge Commander:

Dozens of brilliant ships, bridges and uniform changes, but NanoFX is utterly essential for this game! Only problem with BC is that the single-player campaign doesn't like anything more than a uniform reskin.

Empire at War/Forces of Corruption:

Ultimate Empire at War mod - not finished, but much expanded Galactic Map and many more units available.

Medieval II Total War: Kingdoms:

Kingdoms Grand Campaign Mod: Units and factions from the expansion put into a Grand Campaign mode.

Escape Yavin 4: Jedi Academy's flagrunner for great TC mods. No mod ever comes close to how large and involving it is

The Illuminated Order: One of the largest and greatest mods I have ever played for Morrowind. Not only does it add a completely new faction and challenge. But it adds roughly 40 quests, new books, new areas to explore, new challenges, and it allows you to eventually become a Lich

• 2 months later...
The writing was bad, there were too many spelling and grammatical errors, the implementation was sloppy and there were too many bugs upon release!

I disagree completely. But since its your mod, you know best.

Freelancer - Discovery 4.84

Massive expansion for cult classic seamlessly implemented? 'Nuff said.

KOTOR - Brotherhood of Shadow

I personally love it. The Brotherhood of Shadow itself...the concept is not entirely new, but it felt that way. I simply loved the concept, a collective of souls seeking absolute power.... The only particularly offsetting flaw IMO was the lack of human VOs, which is why I can't wait for Solomon's Revenge. That and everything I've seen about it is simply awesome.

TSL - Improved AI

This mod so made my day. It really fixed the heart of TSL's game play, made it interesting again. And it was implemented so perfectly. I liked the High Level Force Powers mod (by the same developer) but I might take it out for the same reason I put Improved AI in. I frankly have way too many unbalanced mods at the moment.

Archived