Home

3D Accelerator min texture size & Backbuffer in System Memory...

StarWarsGooN

:confused:

What is the 3D Accelerator min texture size settings feature used for in Jedi Knight Dark Forces II & Mysteries of the Sith??

What is the optimal # to be set at for different resolutions or different hardware video cards such as ATI Radeon (s) or Nvidia Geforce (s)?

In the original manual it stated that for a Matrox Mystique that it should be set at 4. What other variables does it constitute changing?

Or should it just be left alone at default # 1 ?

When should the Backbuffer in System Memory be enabled or checked off / on ?

JK Readme:

Clicking the "Backbuffer in system memory" check box on

the Display Setup menu will improve performance on some

computers without 3D hardware acceleration. Only enable

this option if you experience severe frame rate problems

when viewing transparent glass and water. This has to do

with your video card's memory access speed. This feature

is not compatible with all video cards and may cause

problems on certain systems if enabled.

Min texture size was a way to get around a limitation on older cards with, you guessed it, minimum texture size. 3D cards in the mid/late '90s had lots of quirks. A usenet search found info about old Riva 128 cards needing this to be set to 4 to fix texturing problems, for example.

• 1 month later...

The Backbuffer i believe from research(i am just starting to study these great games in the series, JK, and JK DF II) is for older cards and can be left unchecked..i set the textures size at 32 and have a great graphics quaility. but it may vary with system to system.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Yeah, 3d Acceleration is much better. Without it, the game will be stuck in "software rendering mode" which tends to be slower (at least on older machines), and the graphics will look "muddier" and more pixelated (even at higher resolutions, which you'll have fewer to choose from), giving it a more primitive look.

Archived