Home

K3 as a mod??? Who'd be up for that?

Darth Avlectus

If there were to be a "K3" as a mod, would you go for it?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. If there were to be a "K3" as a mod, would you go for it?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, IF.F .............
    • Not unless ...........
    • (Maybe) Hard to see, the future is.
    • Dead Racoon?! Where?! :xp:

OK. Everyone has their own ideas--this is not the thread to spout them off because everyone has their own ideas. Since to me it looks like good things come in 3s, or at least SW things do; anyway, I think the MMO SW:TOR is going to end up being the 3rd installment, like it or not. I really do.

However, the point of this would be to see who would think that a KOTOR 3 'mod' might have some traction. That they would like it in any case regardless of their position on the recently announced MMO.

Or no...

Discuss.

EDIT: (I am not considering doing a mod like this--maybe if the right people talked to me about it and got me interested, I might...but until then...<shrugs>)

No,

I would not be up for that because it just wouldn't be the same. I want KotOR III (though I have a hunch that it will never come out ;)) to be for console (or PC I guess).

To me, a mod would just be somewhat of a cheap-knock off. I just can't visualize it to tell you the truth...

my opinion though :)

I suppose. Though in the future it will be hard to tell.

Using what is given in the game, change some things, maybe...would it not be possible to come up with an entirely new storyline?

Understandably only so much could be done to it, I admit. Still...exploration and certain aspects about the game itself are what make it.

The small stuff does count for a bit, yes. However, you can only add so many perks before it gets kind of excessive, don't you think?

Why couldn't you visualize it? Storyline and conflicts of interest amongst fans, perhaps?

Actually it might make a good mod. The problem is really the same problem that Bioware hit. After the end of KII Where do you go? Do you head off to the Unknown regions? What do you do there? Where does the story go... really?

Might see why Bioware chose the 300 year gap...

That, I do. Actually.

Any storyline I have thought of thus far has a significant level of disconnect from K1 & K2 and be sort of abstract. Halfway between the definitive and "unoriginal" K1 and the open ended "indefinite" K2. So I guess if I were going to make a story, I'd need ingredients of both which were successful and then innovate something else on top.

It is just figuring out how saving the galaxy would fit in...then again when you figure that in 300 years there will be an all out Armageddon regardless and in several thousand years (long after the true sith Armageddon has come and gone) the war torn and tired sith and the remnants of a fractured republic will still be at war with one another. Until they are destroyed by one of their own who wish to commit it to secrecy.

Still, lots can happen. Even in a single year in the galaxy--certain things must come to pass, lots of stuff must transpire one way or another.

So far as Villains...somehow or another something always manages to slip through unnoticed.

Knowing a few other things about the MMO might be nice. Knowing a bit about the canonical future is also good. The catalysts for some of those things related would make for some good plot devices.

--Even if I got a wild hair, I doubt I would share it early on. Still it is nice to see what my fellow LF counterparts (and ones elsewhere) think. Like and dislike. Expectations, and what is not expected.

Maybe just a tale with only a few things connected to other stories... In any case, yes, it is quite a challenge to think of things that would suffice for a storyline to fit.

I think TOR is, like the obvious notion, a mix of the fact that looking at K2's ending, its rather hard to get a good story to continue the KOTOR franchise, and making a game in the Old Republic timeline, even if for this there is a 300 year gap, rather than the four, almost five year gap between K1 and K2.

But the one thing i heard in those interviews with Bioware about TOR, something along the lines of "Rather than just KotOR 3, this has a potential to be KotOR 3, 4, 5, 6.". While i admit that it would make KOTOR way to much like the Scary Movie films, that is if they would be separate games.

But the notion of coming up with a story for K3 that could not only have the needed "looseness" that a KotOR game needs, along with continuing the series, is a feat(pun intended). If only Obsidian didn't have to deal with the "We want a Christmas release" crap from LucasArts, maybe it would be feasible for them to do a serious K3.

See that's been my problem with KotOR III all along. With TSL having killed the jedi off, you either have to play as one of the jedi you trained during TSL, or you have to have a great deal of time in between. Another option is, you could go off to fight the "True Sith" following in the footsteps of Revan and the Exile. This time as a padawan just leaving the academy(that way you don't have to be an amnesiac).

Everyone would just argue over the plot, and it would take months to do.

months? methinks if someone is going to make a mod that is on the same better quality than TSL that will basically make a new game will take several years. If TSLRP is only restoring a bunch of content from TSL and it takes over 4 years to add all content and do bug testing, than it will take a long time for a mod of this magnitude to be made using only the tools we have made for ourselves now, along with any new tools that will probably be made in the mean time.

long story short; someone would have to have a lot of patience and not look at forums for extended periods of time (people will be yelling at each other about the plot) to complete a mod of this magnitude.

I have an idea for KotOR, And Personally I think its good... but since I cant make mods it will never happen. And I have good ideas but I can write diaglogue... So my ideas are weak there too.

Well either its basic crux or no; Visit my profile sometime. Like I siad you have your ideas, I have mine.

I won't judge it. In fact I only give input whe it is asked for--and I can either be real nice about it or I can be like Master Vrook.

I would be comparing it and checking it for certain things.

A mod of Kotor2 that essentially acts as a Kotor3 you say? I like the idea :) (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=195653).

Saw it and I'll look over it again.

No, a mod isn't offical, and not being official I doubt I could get into a mod enough to play it. It would need a VERY strong story.

Strong story was the idea.:devsmoke: It also would be canon compatible even if it ain't official.

Doomed to failure.

Everyone would just argue over the plot, and it would take months to do.

Try years. However, the way one gets around that either doing it all yourself (EEEK) or getting people to park their pride because you have already written it all and there is no room for debate, which I suspect silveredge did. Save for a few questions how much research he did on a certain point or two, as well as needing to credit some stuff he has obviously borrowed, his mods came out just fine. Oh and maybe work on the dialogue and writing a bit so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. :D

There have been tons of threads either the same or similar to this one. If anyone even considered doing a project like this. FAIL! Oh, and The Jedi Masters is not a Kotor III -- it is a total conversion

Knew that, firstly.

Second, Well I never said I was actually considering doing a mod project now did I? :D

--just getting general thoughts from peers. ;)

I doubt I would ever play a Kotor 3 mod. Most likely it would just be there to please Revan fanboys and have a teenage style romance subplot like in Kotor. I would probably only play it if it actually had something original going for it. (Like a separate mini game or completely new models and modules)

I'd go for it if the following things are done:

1. Extensive research in Star Wars lore is done, ensuring that it does not conflict with any established continuity, or with the upcoming MMO (I'm a continuity whore).

2. The most creative fans get together to write a story that is plausible and not too "fanboyish," as well as believable and likable characters.

3. Good writers go over everything with a fine-toothed comb, ensuring that all grammar is correct, as well as all terms properly rendered (such as "Force," which is always capitalized, and "light side" and "dark side," which are never capitalized). We all know how atrocious fan-made dialogue can be in the way of grammar and in-universe terminology.

4. This is optional, but I'd rather the mod be made for a game with a newer engine, such as Mass Effect (if BioWare ever releases modding tools) or any other newer game where such mechanics as Force powers and morality points can be implemented.

I doubt I would ever play a Kotor 3 mod. Most likely it would just be there to please Revan fanboys and have a teenage style romance subplot like in Kotor. I would probably only play it if it actually had something original going for it. (Like a separate mini game or completely new models and modules)

Interesting. True most modders are too subjective to ever make something original and inspiring.

Is the whole significance to the galaxy absolutely, necessarily a must-have? That you alone are so utterly important? Why? Seems to me this is one thing that, alone, would kill any cooperation modders would have, let alone a story that would have any kind of pull.

@ general population:

What elements* do you consider critical for a good story and yet still starwars-y?

*:not being individual features, pretty please. Rather aspects of story progression both major and minor...and inbetween. Like the "ingredients" of a good meal rather.

What could you live without? What elements would make it not a KOTOR?

Play the Jedi masters. It is a K2 mod that acts like a K3.

So a mod story making things a little clearer in a general sense? OKay, but what would prevent infighting about differeing points of view on certain matters? Or would options be available to flesh these aspects out? Would that not make man more questions appear once answers are gleaned?

I'd go for it if the following things are done:

1. Extensive research in Star Wars lore is done, ensuring that it does not conflict with any established continuity, or with the upcoming MMO (I'm a continuity whore).

:D Me Too. :D In fact, that is a decidng factor in how I judge mods and SW works in general.

2. The most creative fans get together to write a story that is plausible and not to "fanboyish," as well as believable and likable characters.

What would be an objective standard for recognizing the most talented?

It would seem that if a standard of this did not exist, that it would be done arbitrarily.

3. Good writers go over everything with a fine-toothed comb, ensuring that all grammar is correct, as well as all terms properly rendered (such as "Force," which is always capitalized, and "light side" and "dark side," which are never capitalized). We all know how atrocious fan-made dialogue can be in the way of grammar and in-universe terminology.

Indded. As well, there needs to be an in depth analysis of writing style and effectiveness. One of my biggest gripes about silveredge's brotherhood of shadow mod--its early release anyways. The little things are critical and make all the difference, I agree.

It can be quite a challenge to make a concise, to the point, detailed, nuanced, fitting, intriguing, lasting piece of writing. And ultimately remain true to form.

4. This is optional, but I'd rather the mod be made for a game with a newer engine, such as Mass Effect (if BioWare ever releases modding tools) or any other newer game where such mechanics as Force powers and morality points can be implemented.

Hmm. That would have to be explored in depth on all the technical aspects. It might also prolong production. Still, a valid point, though.

Play the Jedi masters. It is a K2 mod that acts like a K3.

except its barely voiced, poorly put together and is not canon. it has some interesting ideas and it has great potential but its hard to play without wincing.

i think it should have some sort of cooperation between Revan and the Exile. Some story about what Revan was gearing the galaxy up for. actual voice actors. Canonical i.e. Revan lightside male, exile lightside female, the threat should be what TOR refers to.

except its barely voiced, poorly put together and is not canon. it has some interesting ideas and it has great potential but its hard to play without wincing.

Thanks for the warning, I guess...

i think it should have some sort of cooperation between Revan and the Exile.
OKay. Why?

Some story about what Revan was gearing the galaxy up for.
Which would be the point. Whether this point would be made in a direct way, or more of a roundabout way...I cannot be certain.

Confirmed by SW:TOR is actually kind of a good thing, here.

actual voice actors.
OH? And how would you propose going about finding the originals? Let alone pay for it??? I mean, who better to voice it than the original ones?

Canonical i.e. Revan lightside male, exile lightside female,
There is something simple I'd like to interject here... but I feel even that small morsel would be a little too revealing at this point.

However, on a side note, yes. I am a whore for canon. But what do I really care? I'm not really working on a storyline for a mod. :xp:...............Or am I?:lol:

the threat should be what TOR refers to.

I have a question for you: If it were seriously going to be any kind of KOTOR3 that fellow fans would appreciate, especially now that this (a MAJOR clue and one of the burning questions from before TOR's unveiling) has been revealed and tackled, don't you think that it would have something about it in its release? That it should have something about it in its release?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the warning, I guess...

OKay. Why?

Which would be the point. Whether this point would be made in a direct way, or more of a roundabout way...I cannot be certain.

Confirmed by SW:TOR is actually kind of a good thing, here.

OH? And how would you propose going about finding the originals? Let alone pay for it??? I mean, who better to voice it than the original ones?

There is something simple I'd like to interject here... but I feel even that small morsel would be a little too revealing at this point.

However, on a side note, yes. I am a whore for canon. But what do I really care? I'm not really working on a storyline for a mod. :xp:...............Or am I?:lol:

I have a question for you: If it were seriously going to be any kind of KOTOR3 that fellow fans would appreciate, especially now that this (a MAJOR clue and one of the burning questions from before TOR's unveiling) has been revealed and tackled, don't you think that it would have something about it in its release? That it should have something about it in its release?

Thanks in advance.

i should probably clarify.

by real voice actors i meant real people not computer voices like TJM. and the reason id like something between the two of them is because in the canonical ending the exile leaves to find revan. and the reason i was saying it should be what TOR refers to and it should have the canonical characters is because Trex refers to his mod as a fanboy K3 and Logan23 is making a mod that he is referring to as K3 and as far as i know neither of them are going with the story.

Hey everyone,

I just want to touch on a few things,…

Revenge of Revan like The Jedi Masters is a fanboy kotor3, since legally no person can call theirs officially kotor3.

I understand that you guys are looking for a Mod which will not only connect with the past two kotors but also connect with TOR, in turn making it the closes thing to a cannon kotor3 Mod.

I’m happy to tell you that Revenge of Revan will do all this and allow you to choose the sex/gender of Exile and Revan as well as if the endings were darkside or lightside. When TOR was released I was able to tweak my plot slightly so that it will not conflict with the story in TOR (as of this moment).

You will not only find out what happen to Revan and The Exile but there will be some new features like the new Lightsaber creation system and many other surprises.

I know everyone wants voice acting for every single part but that is close to impossible. I know later on I will be tackling this issue, later on in my production.

I know no matter how good my or anyone else’s mod there will be people who wish it had more or it was a little different and that’s cool because what created the modding community…. imagination, the ideas of what if this could be changed or added which has led to great mods as wells as mod tools. And I look forward to sharing with you all the Mod: Revenge of Revan, with special thanks to all the people who helped in the production.

Keep modding:)

Logan

Archived