Home

Mass Effect 2 [thread contains spoilers]

Nedak

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
**** yeah!

And yeah I don't think what you see in the trailer will carry over to the game, it's just meant to get people talking.

I hope so... As LeXX, I am pretty sure I have read and heard that we were going to be able to use previous save games...unless that's just to get some plot variables...

Holy cow...

Nice to know it's definitely in the making.

Oh, and about the

death

thing, it kinda looked like that Geth was

wearing Shepard's armor.

Weird stuff.

I noticed that as well.

Is he actually wearing the armour? Hard to tell for sure. I also noticed that known associates were listed. I wonder if that is a hint that they will be returning.

well, it sure looked a lot like his armor, aside for that ominous spot of blood

I hope so... As LeXX, I am pretty sure I have read and heard that we were going to be able to use previous save games...unless that's just to get some plot variables...

I have heard this as well. I sure hope this trailer has no association with the actual game, outside of a plot twist near the end

Whoa, groovy!

My guess is that you will play as Shepard "on the run" from a group of clandestine baddies trying to take control of the universe through the council. They think you dead, but you are not, hence the official report saying you are. Either that, or since you became a symbol to humanity in the first one, they say you are dead in this one to take the moral from humanity... or maybe you are working with the council, but they need people to think you are dead...

Well, there are a lot of possibilities why you could be "officially dead" even if you are not.

^

Which would also ensure you have the same 'power' as in ME 1. You were a

Spectre there, above the law and a fugitive spectre or an undercover/true Geth would be just...awesome....

Why do all the good games launch now??

Empire Total War is on the way and I'm still deep into Medieval Total War 2, Mass Effect 1 and WoW...crap.

My theories:

1) Shepard somehow has amnesia, and "forgot" his skills.

2) Shepard's death has been faked allowing him to go underground and strike the enemy from within.

3) Shepard is actually dead, and you play as a lowly soldier. That's a HUGE risk for BioWare to take, and is extremely unlikely.

I'd definitely go with the "faked death" idea. Now, whether his death was faked to allow deeper infiltration behind enemy lines, or was it done by the enemy to prevent him from using his authority as a Spectre remains to be seen.

I agree with leXX, the teaser trailer is very clever.

The design of the official site looks very interesting - a terminal of the Cerberus organization.

http://masseffect.bioware.com/teaser/index.html

I dunno, that looked alot like his armour from the epilogue/Eden prime mission, as his Alliance navy rank at the time meant that was design type he was issued- Note how if you outfitted the Human squad mates with Sheperd's starter armour, it lost its red details?

And maybe the Geth have evolved, so they no longer make machine cultists (Big pointy spike things) but can actually make them their victims Geth? Seeing as they lost Sovereign, maybe they are making some other effort at bringing back the reapers and tactics have changed?

All hypothesis ofc, I don't believe for a second they'd kill Sheperd off for a second.

I hope when Bioware is developing Mass Effect 2's subquests they would actually have more to do then just go guns blazing through a facility somewhere and either press a button or kill some NPC or talk to some NPC and choose if you want to kill him. It got VERY repetative. The only saving grace to the subquests was all the dialogue linked to them

Anyway to the whole Shepard dying bit. We don't actually see Shepard's "corpse" if any. All we see is a geth wearing Alliance military Armour. Which could just be a camera transition coming off the Normandy. It is possible the Normandy was under attack somewhere and crashed on a Geth infested world. Causing Shepard to be pronounced "dead", but may be still alive. Then the Geth try and check out the crash and the game begins. Or something of the sort

I do like how it lists off all the aliens who are on the ship. Such as Liara, Tali, Wrex and Garrus and not Ash or Kaiden (I laughed at that a little. But I won't spoil it). But a slight thing confused me since Tali was always talking about going back to her people after defeating Saren and Garrus was talking about either rejoining C-Sec or joining the Specters. So why are they still on the Normandy? Big stuff

I do hope they keep the same protagonist in Mass Effect 2. I think it would give the series a better sense of continuity. The original Star Wars trilogy probably wouldn't have been as popular if the A New Hope characters got killed off at the start of Empire Strikes Back and replaced by new ones, etc. (The Baldur's Gate series was great in that sense, playing the same character from a fledgling trainee up to the verge of godhood though several games, allowing you to import your character from an old save.)

Since character level really didn't matter much, as the rest of the universe leveled up along with you, it shouldn't be a major obstacle to continuing on with an imported character.

The different endings allowed in Mass Effect (1) can make it somewhat problematic to build a continuing story in the sequel without entirely marginalizing the impact of the player's choice in the first game, if there isn't a large jump in the timeline between the two. Could probably make two separate story paths, but that would likely be too much work for such a game. It will be interesting to see how they solve that. :)

Archived