Home

Mass Effect 2 [thread contains spoilers]

Nedak

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, finally figured out the scars.

Being mostly Paragon will cause the scars to disappear on their own, else for the Renegade folks, you can get an upgrade that removes it automatically. Fascinating.

That said, the planet scanning isn't THAT retarded. I mean, it isn't an absolute requirement to do every single planet, nor is it necessary to do a complete scan to get all the minerals you need. Personally, I think it beats driving around in the Mako 24/7 on empty worlds. Hopefully ME3 will have a better solution.

- Star Admiral

They could get rid of the whole mineral gathering all together. It's not something that's so important for the main mission. And the Mako doesn't need to be present all the time. I mean, in Mass Effect, the Mako was in most main planets, so it was well represented. If there need to be "sidequest planets", why always with the Mako? Why not land us into a small port?

I was fairly disappointed when I landed on the moon, which was supposed to have a few million inhabitants, only to find myself on another empty grey area without any human presence.

I'm curious if BioWare did some investing in this for ME2.

I'm curious if BioWare did some investing in this for ME2.
About 6 hours into it and I would say so far they have.

The 3 places I’ve been thus far have been teaming with life and I have yet to set foot in any land vehicle.

The minerals seem a bit more important this time around as they allow for the upgrade of systems, how critical this is to the mission, I could not say as of yet.

I’m having fun with the game thus far, wasn’t thrilled about some of the mini-games, but guess what? There was an upgrade for that too.

You can take what I write with a grain of salt, not only am I a Mass Effect fanboy, but as DI has pointed out before, I have terrible taste in games. :xp:

I found the first ME pretty damn boring and lifeless, but I can't get myself to stop playing the second one. While I'm not done yet (and won't be for a while, for I'm worse than a snail when it comes to playing games :D), I can without reservation say that ME2 is a far better game.

The scanning planets mini-game is not the best, but I think it's better than what we had in ME1. It's about as boring as driving around in the Mako, but takes far less time; so yes, it's better. :p If it were up to me though, I'd ditch it completely, and focus on making the areas you can actually visit even better.

First of all, Ace Combat 6 is the only X360 exclusive I really want to play, and curse Namco for making it exclusive considering their entire fan base started on a different platform.
I've been completely sucked in by it. But I'm on the last mission so once I get that out of the way I can focus on ME.

Secondly and more on-topic, I will be delayed in the playing of ME2 as well, so you can play alongside me, Prime-ski :xp:
Sounds good! Just don't want to be all alone playing at that point. :)

I've only had it since this morning, but apparently i've already played it for ten hours.

Needless to say, i'm really enjoying it so far, even though i'm still getting used to some of the changes (which for the most part seem to be for the better). I think I like the companions in this one better than the first as well, but that might just be because they're new and shiny (well, most of them).

Ha-haaah! YUSSS. I got my preordered collector's edition today. And it just so happened that the gtx 260 arrived today as well! :emodanc:

Installing ME2 while oogling at collector ed extras atm.

And ME2's rating in NZ is R13, the same as ME1. I completely expected at least an R16; possibly an R18. But hey, i ain't complaining. :D

[EDIT] Oh look, no response from unlock code servers :dozey:

[EDIT2] Its ok now. I had to enter the Cerberus code in-game first, then all the other codes worked too.

WAT. it seems i have been given the Terminus Assault Armor only available from Gamestop stores, rather than the Inferno Armor (given for all other preorders) which is fine, except for the fact that there are no gamestop stores in New Zealand. o_O

Goddamn im getting some serious withdrawal symptoms, i watched a 1 minute video and read a review and now im all jumpy:xp: ME WANTS!!! Ill get my hands on the game today, one way or another! Even if it means stealing my mothers car, driving without a license, kidnapping an old wo/man and making them buy it for me :p Seriously, the last time i wanted something material this bad was when i ordered my guitar :xp:

I'm glad I got the 360 version. Judging by the official forums, the PC version is a clusterf**k of technical problems. Poor form from Bioware, although perhaps unsurprising given my experiences with the PC version of Dragon Age.

Speaking of technical issues, the 360 version is surprisingly smooth. I dug out ME1 the other week to do a refresher run through and I was shocked at how crap it ran. I didn't remember it being so rough. I haven't seen any noticeable framerate hitches in ME2 and there is no texture pop-in to speak of. The only real issues I've encountered are an annoying tendency for dialogue audio to get cut off before a sentence finishes and one or two instances of enemies clipping beyond walls (making them unkillable).

As far as mechanics go, while I'm glad they addressed some of ME1's major gameplay flaws, I'm less than thrilled that they've further diluted the RPG elements. Completely removing the armour, ammo and upgrades was not the way to go IMO. It's just dumbing it down to appeal to the shooter crowd. The rejigged classes are a bit disappointing. Soldier is now pretty much useless. It went from being the uber class in ME1 to the gimp in ME2. The cooldown times on powers make the Adept fairly useless on higher difficulties, as you'll be flanked and killed before you can get off a second power. The other classes are a bit of a mixed bag. Speaking of difficulty levels, Insanity really is insane this time around.

Story-wise I'm finding it mostly enjoyable. It's nice to see some of the outcomes of your choices in ME1 crop up, although unfortunately it seems most of them only get reported on the news or sent to you via email rather than having interactive elements. Those of the old crew that survived put in an appearance, although some disappointingly less than others. There's no real resolution or discussion of romances from the first game, so you're left to shag one of the new crowd (still no 3 way though it seems lol). Tali lovers will finally get what they've longed for.

As with the first game, some of the best bits are the little incidental additions and background flavour that you can easily miss. Boo showing up is awesome, and the ad for the movie about the first Hanar Spectre is just plain hilarious ("Enkindle this!" lol).

I'm glad I got the 360 version. Judging by the official forums, the PC version is a clusterf**k of technical problems.

I can only speak for myself here, but i've encountered no problems so far with the PC version.

Soldier is now pretty much useless. It went from being the uber class in ME1 to the gimp in ME2.

I have to disagree - i've been playing as a soldier for 18 hours and it certainly hasn't seemed useless.

There's nothing much to distinguish Soldier beyond any other class now, besides assault rifle use and the Adrenaline skill (and you can't afford to waste points on that). Every class now gets the exact same armour, and in fact Sentinels may have the most protection with their Tech Armour power. This is a serious impediment given that the Soldier needs to be a meat shield to make the best use of their weapon-centric focus. On higher difficulty levels your shields get stripped almost instantly outside of cover. Pop up for more than a second or two and you're dead. Immunity in ME1 was too powerful, but it seems the nerf for ME2 has gone too far in the other direction.

On higher difficulty levels your shields get stripped almost instantly outside of cover. Pop up for more than a second or two and you're dead. Immunity in ME1 was too powerful, but it seems the nerf for ME2 has gone too far in the other direction.

I see no fault in your assessments of the changes, but I am thoroughly enjoying the changes even if they violate my usual game playing style. I am actually having to take cover, use my party members and plan my attack. While I miss running into the middle of a room and killing everything in sight, this style seems more realistic to me.

^Bio is by now so bloated on its own success that it assumes people will swalow any old crap they chuck into their games, I'd guess.

Sadly, they're probably correct.

Yeah we get it. You hate Bioware. Can you bugger off to another thread?

@DarthParametric > pay him no mind. It gets mighty cold under his bridge, so he takes it out on us ;)

troll.jpg

I'm really enjoying ME2. As yet, I don't feel violated by the changes. I'll call Benson and Stabler from SVU if I do though.

I did have one issue in the PC version, when I walked into Mordins clinic for the first time my characters ended up floating into the ceiling ;) A reload sorted it.

Also, I didn't like how my lady shepard started getting saucy with Jacob the instant she had him on her ship. I had to choose her dialogue very carefully to get her out of it. My Isabel Shepard is an ice queen, deep in her heart she yearns for the erotic embrace of another woman, probably Dr Chakwas.

mtfbwya

Just completed the game after 21.5 hours. Very interesting ending, and it looks like Mass Effect 3 is going to be even more explosive than this one.

Overall I really enjoyed the game, even though there were a few minor bugs and problems. I just hope the choices I made at the end don't come back and bite me in the ass in ME3.

Archived