Home

Mass Effect 2 [thread contains spoilers]

Nedak

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought the collectors edition of Mass Effect 2 for about 82 dollars on launch day and I don't regret it. At all.

I've beaten it 3 times. Currently on my 4th play-through. I've been playing it for about a month now and I still can't stop playing it. Everything from the first game has been improved greatly and many features is now more streamlined and user-friendly then they were in its predecessor. Especially on how the combat system is handled, and I'm personally glad that they ditched the Mako.

I think I prefer Male Shepard over Female. Jennifer Hales voice is emotionless and empty. Even cringe worthy at times. Mark Meer = FTW. :p

By the way, has anybody downloaded the DLC character Zaeed? I personally find his voice to be... interesting.

Tali worship aside... anyone else have problems putting down the controller/mouse on this game? hehehe... Fallout 3 got me hooked on 'gun shooters'.. Deadspace enriched the experience (super game), ME1 was a nice mix.. but ME2 seems to have snagged some of the better elements from all of 'em. LIke I said.. it's like crack. :indif: must play ME2...

No problem whatsoever. I finished the game once and got really disappointed when I compared the main story to the story of ME1 (I've talked about this in my previous posts, so I won't repeat myself), then I decided to give it another chance and see if I missed anything that might change my opinion, but nope. The game is good, fun, it has many flaws compared to the original and also some advantages, but overall it just wasn't fun enough to do more than twice in a row. :indif:

On another note, Tali FTW. On the official forums there's a Tali support thread, third in a row with over a thousand pages, which really amazes me. I just hope all the posting those people do will actually matter. In the meantime, I'm replaying Assassin's Creed in preparation for the PC release of the sequel. :D

Tali worship aside...

hey chainz :D ME2 has been totally messing with my folding!

Despite my best intentions, I really let Tali down on the loyalty mission. I didn't see the big deal in keeping things secret and now she hates my guts!

Ah well, it's not like she was going to go for any girl on girl with my fem shep anyway.

I'm 38 hours in now and at the suicide mission. I've scanned and pillaged every planet's resources and done all but one side quest - that crashed freighter level is extremely buggy on PC...so I've skipped it. :(

I've now got over 600k of most resources and almost 100k cash and resources and nothing to do with it.... maybe some future DLC will make some use of it :p

mtfbwya

@Commander Obi Wan?? Does Kelly really do that ? Or is that for a male shep only ?

I cant even get her to feed my fish like Stoffe said she did for her femshep :( My fish are dead again !

Also, why is Dr Chakwas on the ship...she's done nothing the whole time except drink some brandy, and now she

just got kidnapped of course

The only think I can guess is that she becomes a bit redundant if you have Mordin ??

mtfbwya

Also, why is Dr Chakwas on the ship...she's done nothing the whole time except drink some brandy, and now she

just got kidnapped of course

I think it's partly to provide some familiarity from ME1, but primarily for the spoiler-marked part of the above quote:

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
If you take your sweet time to head to the Omega-4 Relay after the crew gets abducted she will be the only survivor who's left to tell the tale of what happened, as far as I know. She'll be quite upset with you if that happens, and they probably figured it would have a bigger emotional impact if it was some long-running character rather than an anonymous cerberus crewmember in that role. (If on the other hand you go there immediately after the abduction you'll get there in time to save the whole crew.)

I think I prefer Male Shepard over Female. Jennifer Hales voice is emotionless and empty. Even cringe worthy at times. Mark Meer = FTW. :p
Hurrah! Finally a kindred spirit. I think if FemShep's voice was listed under a pseudonym then it wouldn't get half as much praise as it does. Damn Bastila fanboys. They should have gotten Grey DeLisle to do it instead.

Does Kelly really do that ?
Indeed she does -
- although how she does some of the moves without anything to hold onto is an interesting question. Mass effect fields perhaps. A noble use.

After finishing it the first time, i started an insanity playthrough, and its, uhm... insane. I thought of being an infiltrator and trying out Mav's playstyle strategy, but i rebooted my soldier Shepard from the first playthrough since you start off with all your stuff. (i may be playing insanity, but im not that good enough to start from scratch)

In order to play, i use my beloved Anti-Material rifle with a constant use of Heightened Adrenalin Rush along with an appropriate ammo for the current battle situation. I chose Warp Ammo as my extra ability... across Incendiary, Disruptor, and Warp ammo any enemy can be adapted to, and overpowered.

On insanity, anything but headshots are useless. And the 3 seconds it takes you to pop up and line up a headshot is guaranteed to kill you. The only way i personally am able to play is to use heightened adrenalin rush and quickly use the time dilation to nail em right between the eyes with the Widow. Soldiers' Heightened AR dilates time by 70%... how much time dilation do infiltrator's get with snipers?

Im feeling a lot of replayability with ME2... compared to 1 there's far less grinding, all the missions are fresh and diverse, and, of course, they're all optional.

But alas, calamity has struck. My sister moved out with the only computer capable of playing ME2 (hers). Ive lent the game to her, and now im sitting here twiddling my thumbs with eyes darting left to right, and no ME2. :hurk:

So, to appease myself, i actually had a look at the collector's edition goodies (i hadn't before for fear of spoilers... which i was very right to do - don't read the artbook till youve played through at least once!).

The Collector's (lol) edition comes with an ME2 artbook, the first ME comic (by good ol' Dark Horse), Collector Chitin Armor (which i ignore like the rest of the helmet unremovable armors), and a bonus DVD.

(Collector's edition also has infinitely cooler box/cover art)

Out of all those, my favorite is the art book, which is simply fantastic. I love it!

The comic was good, and the DVD is also good, but slightly disappointing; it has the game trailers, game wallpapers, and a documentary. When i saw the menu item "Trailers" i though it would have all the videos from the ME2 site. But it doesn't; it only has a few. The wallpapers were of no use since i had already downloaded every wallpaper, screenshot, and avatar from the game site. So it looks like ill just have to continue with my media-conquest of the ME2 website by dl'ing all the videos i don't have. (currently about 60% done).

Apart from that, the documentary on the DVD was great.

2. If your computer is awesome/if youve played it before on an awesome comp, and have seen 1 at high fps's, how different does 2's fps cap of 30 feel? good or bad? (1's fps cap was 62, i think. i lowered it to 30 or 40 because the anims were too fast and ruined the game's feel)

2) There's an FPS cap of 30? :confused: Mine runs at 60FPS, just like ME1.

Somewhere in the bonus vids they did indeed mention a fps cap of 30, but i think they were meaning the animations rather than the game itself. In ME1, when you had a high game fps, the animations sped by ridiculously fast and looked quite lame. In ME2, the animations are smooth and proper regardless of the game fps.

Also in the documentaries were gameplay footage from what appears to be an earlier version of the game, with a slightly different HUD, and a seriously cool holographic ammo count on the weapons. (which has been replaced with ammo indicators in the final version). I wonder if this beta HUD is still in the game files...

Speaking of the HUD, has anyone noticed that the four corners of the screen are slightly darkened right through the entire game? (with and without HUD, in and out of cutscenes). Whats up with that? (its not bad... its just... "eh?")

Some of you may recognise her from that series 'Chuck' but I never saw it myself.

I recently saw the pilot episode of Chuck, and she really looks quite good IRL.

Don't know what happened for the game when they did such a fantastic job on Mark Vanderloo.

As long as it doesn't contain any Thresher Maws I'll be happy. Those were the absolutely worst part of planet exploration in ME1, and the reason I tended to avoid flat plains and take long detours over rocky terrain to get where I needed to go.

Hihi, same here.

What?? I loved the Thresher Maws in the first game! In fact, i'd actually go looking for flat plains of land hoping to find some to blow up! :lol:

They were pretty easy to spot for the most part though, considering that planets were generally like a continuous mountain chain in every direction except for the one smooth, wide open area where a maw was inevitably lurking. Even then it wasn't a super big deal - just get out of the Mako and fight it on foot. Wrex made out like it was such a big deal in ME2. Pfffff....

You can fight them on foot in ME1??! :eyepop

I never tried doing that cause i always thought that it would just mean an automatic insta-death...

Actually, that Asari who's boss of the club on Omega, does a nice smile.

Aria T'loak... aka, Carrie Anne Moss aka Trinity from the Matrix. I quite like that character. And yes, that smile when she says the "one rule of Omega" was nice.

(note: when you first meet Aria, that "hold out" scene where everyone pulls out their guns on each other... I wonder if thats an homage to the hold out scene in The Matrix Revolutions in that Merovingian fellow's club...?)

I <3 Tali.. Not only was I sweating bullets (and losing shields in the sun) when trying to rescue/find/recruit her, and not only did I choke up at a particular scene (loyalty quest)... but the Paragon option for it was PERFECT! Hats off to the developer.. hats off my friend

But right now i'm torn between Kelly and Tali.

I loaded up a pre-romance save and went with Kelly...

and she can, uh... really dance, huh? :xp:

Kelly is really nice and all, but her "romance" isn't very deep at all - its just some flirting here and there. IMO it could have been good if they fleshed it out more; added more to it. (it wouldve been/would be interesting to romance a character not part of the active team)

But I ended up choosing Tali. Tali's romance is deeper, more fleshed out, and is more emotionally engaging than all the other romances. That, and also because its Tali. :3

The fact that its a better romance than the others is evidenced by the huge amount of Tali support there is. I mean, she's practically blown poster-girl Miranda and alterna-punk Jack out of the water in terms of popularity.

It appears that BioWare pays attention to things like this as implied with Garrus' comment to male Shepard about how "everyone was always ignoring Shepard and hitting on him". I also have a feeling that him becoming 10x more awesome in ME2 can be attributed somewhat to sizable amount of Garrus love. ( i mean, he was awesome in the first game, now they've made him the freaking man!) Hopefully something like this should happen with Tali in ME3...

Garrus was my favorite character in ME1 and is one my favorites in ME2.

But i'm personally annoyed about the blast marks on his damaged suit. I mean, i can understand the face, but why does he have to wear damaged armor right through the entire game? (Also, i am very annoyed that electrocuting that batarian mechanic guy on Omega did nothing at all to affect the state of the gunship and subsequently, Garrus' face. :mad:)

I hope they release a DLC or something to address this, or that there is some kind of hack to have him have the post-injury face with the pre-injury suit.

By the way, has anybody downloaded the DLC character Zaeed?

Zaeed is ok. I like his loyalty mission. As a party member, he is average in usefulness imo.

There is a new Party member coming called Katsume, but i don't know how she'll be.

I personally find his voice to be... interesting.

What do you mean by that?

Ive personally downloaded all the DLCs that are available to me: Zaeed, the Collector armor + rifle, The Terminus Assault armor + weapon, the Cerberus armor + shotgun, and the Normandy Crash Site, and I seriously want those Dr.Pepper visors. When i saw the screenshots on the game site i thought "*gasp!* Its the Verpine Headband from Kotor! :emodanc: " (my favorite headband in kotor - basically the Sentinel Visor but red). Imagine my shock and annoyance when i heard that its only available through Dr.Pepper promotional codes, and furthermore, its only available in the US! :mad:

gaah, i want those visors...

Anyone in the US with spare Dr.Pepper codes willing to help out an international fella? :(

that crashed freighter level is extremely buggy on PC...so I've skipped it.

Ah yes, that level...it was indeed extremely buggy, but i managed to complete it with many quick-loads. :D

I just finished too, very impressed with the whole game, with the couple of buggy bits paling into insignificance compared to the overall quality of the game.

It was a bit shocking to

lose a few team members, but I'm pretty pleased because the ones that died were the ones that I wasnt hugely fond of...Tali, Zeeed, Grunt

Those I like are still there :)

Having just spent almost 40 hours on it, Im not jumping back in until a DLC comes out.

Assassins Creed 2 is out here tomorrow on pc... whilst ubisofts DRM shenanigans has dampened some of the excitement I had for its release.... playing AC in my favorite era in History is pretty hard to pass up....

mtfbwya

how much time dilation do infiltrator's get with snipers?

With max ranks in your passive class power you get 60% slowdown for about 2.5 seconds whenever you zoom in with the sniper rifle scope (so you can just zoom out and zoom back in again when the effect expires if you need more). Makes it pretty simple to line up headshots at any range. :)

Speaking of the HUD, has anyone noticed that the four corners of the screen are slightly darkened right through the entire game? (with and without HUD, in and out of cutscenes). Whats up with that? (its not bad... its just... "eh?")

Haven't noticed anything like that, so if it's there it is barely noticeable.

What?? I loved the Thresher Maws in the first game! In fact, i'd actually go looking for flat plains of land hoping to find some to blow up! :lol:

I don't like monsters that pop up right in your face and toss you about like a ragdoll with there being little you can do about it other than luck. The Maw in ME2 during Grunts Rite of Passage was OK though since it stayed at a distance and didn't get up close and personal.

Also, i am very annoyed that electrocuting that batarian mechanic guy on Omega did nothing at all to affect the state of the gunship and subsequently, Garrus' face. :mad:

As far as I can tell the backstab results in the Gunship having half its armor gone when it shows up later during the fight, making it a bit quicker to take down.

Ive personally downloaded all the DLCs that are available to me

All the Armor DLC are pretty useless since you're stuck with an ugly helmet on all the time, which looks stupid and makes the whole character customization process pointless. Not going to spend an hour wrestling with the facegen just to stick the head in a bucket for the rest of the game. I imagine the Liara kiss scene will look pretty stupid with a helmet on too. :)

The Normandy Memorial DLC was nice though.

Ah yes, that level...it was indeed extremely buggy, but i managed to complete it with many quick-loads. :D

Which quest is that? The one with the freighter balancing on the cliff edge or the one with all the mechs in the sandstorm? Haven't experienced any problems with either of those so far.

Tali worship aside... anyone else have problems putting down the controller/mouse on this game? hehehe... Fallout 3 got me hooked on 'gun shooters'.. Deadspace enriched the experience (super game), ME1 was a nice mix.. but ME2 seems to have snagged some of the better elements from all of 'em. LIke I said.. it's like crack. :indif: must play ME2...

I did... I played it for ridiculous times every time (ridiculous for me, that is :xp: )

I took up the controller, and found it difficult to stop, and even after shutting the console down i found myself wanting to turn it back on for some more. And several times i did turn it back on :p Im thinking of replaying the game with the same character again, cause i didnt exactly explore every corner of the galaxy on the first time, and then playing me1 again with a new character and exporting it to 2 :D

hey chainz :D ME2 has been totally messing with my folding!

Hehe.. mine too. I still haven't setup my pc client back up :o

I'll let the PS3 do the grunt work for awhile...

Despite my best intentions, I really let Tali down on the loyalty mission. I didn't see the big deal in keeping things secret and now she hates my guts!

Bummer. Of course, me being a Tail fanatic.. I was making sure I saved EVERYWHERE during her quests to make sure I didn't screw up :xp: Normally I'll let things go as they stand decision wise (RP rule, no save/reload unless death), but Tali was a tease since ME1.. hehe. Wasn't about to mess things up with her. Luckily I didn't have to break my rule... I just rallied the crowd and everything was peachy :emodanc:

On another note though.. seems I inadvertently was "courting" Jack. :confused: Thought I was just being supportive to the nut-ball.. but I guess "How are you doing?" means "wanna F#%$@" in space-talk :lol:

Had to cut that loose end real quick lest I lost Tali.. so now Jack will only tell me to "Fornicate Off" anytime I try to talk to her :¬:

ahh well.... at least she's still loyal to the mission.

Had to cut that loose end real quick lest I lost Tali.. so now Jack will only tell me to "Fornicate Off" anytime I try to talk to her :¬:

ahh well.... at least she's still loyal to the mission.

Jack does that even if you don't cut her off. At a certain point if you do not romance her she isn't very talkative, male/female it does not matter. I’m going to try to romance her my next playthrough to see if it is possible to get her to say more. More likely instead of telling Shepard to “Fornicate Off,” she will show Shepard how to fornicate.

Jack does that even if you don't cut her off. At a certain point if you do not romance her she isn't very talkative, male/female it does not matter.

Ah. Good to know. At least she's an equal opportunity hater. :lol:

I’m going to try to romance her my next playthrough to see if it is possible to get her to say more. More likely instead of telling Shepard to “Fornicate Off,” she will show Shepard how to fornicate.

Same here. I would've gone for Jack had they not allowed a Tali romance option in ME2. But, since I thought I was screwing up in ME1 for the longest time since there was never an option to flirt with Tali (till I discovered she wasn't even an option :headbump ) I'm turning on the wooing powers for my favorite-est alien... hehe

But yeah, chicks with tatoos & piercings, what's not to like :naughty: While Miranda's pixel-perfect-posterior always seems to be front and center.. I just don't find her very appealing.. even her sob story loyalty quest wasn't as quite the heart-tugger as Tali's was. meh.

Not sure who my female Shepard will stalk.. probably Thane. Jacob's story is just as menial as Miranda's. Too bad Joker and Doc Chakwas is off limits.

You can fight them on foot in ME1??! :eyepop

I never tried doing that cause i always thought that it would just mean an automatic insta-death...

Yeah it's pretty straightforward. A lot easier than doing it in the Mako actually. They telegraph their spitting attack fairly obviously and when you're on foot they tend not disappear beneath the ground and pop up in a different spot again. If you have trouble, just circle strafe. The main reason to fight them (and everything else, like a Colossus) on foot is you get more XP than you do in the Mako.

Anyone in the US with spare Dr.Pepper codes willing to help out an international fella? :(
You don't need to be in the US and you don't need "spare" codes. They aren't unique - there's a single set of codes for everyone. Just Google it and you'll turn them up.

Hurrah! Finally a kindred spirit. I think if FemShep's voice was listed under a pseudonym then it wouldn't get half as much praise as it does. Damn Bastila fanboys. They should have gotten Grey DeLisle to do it instead.

Yay, finally someone who agrees with me.

What do you mean by that?

What I meant that was that his voice is awesome. The dude who voiced Zaeed also voiced Saul in KotOR I and Lord Harrowmont in Dragon Age: Origins. I think Zaeed isn't all that useless as some people make him out to be. His war stories on what he has done in the Terminus System and his adventures with little ''Jessy'' cracks me up. Plus, its relaxing to listen to Robin Sachs voice. :p

And yes, I downloaded all the DLC that I possibly can. I think the Terminus armor is quite an amazing design. My favorite armor pretty much. But enough of this redundant statement, I have a question: Is the E.A and Doctor Pepper codes still in effect or has it been ended? I'm thinking of getting Recon Hood.

While Miranda's pixel-perfect-posterior always seems to be front and center.[/Quote]I went Miranda first as a male Shepard. 2nd playthrough my female Shepard stayed loyal to Liara. 3rd playthrough went with Tali, was going for Tali on first playthrough, but went too far in the Miranda romance to feel good about breaking it off. 4th playthrough my female Shepard went with Thane. Tali and Miranda's romance were fun, Thane's was just as well done, but his condidtion made it a little sad.

Too bad Joker and Doc Chakwas is off limits.

My female Shepards would break every bone in Joker's body. I think Joker is more of a hands off his brittle bones type of guy that likes to flirt. That is why EDI and Joker get along so well.

Not sure who my female Shepard will stalk.. probably Thane.

I like the character design and history, but talking to him creeps me out when he goes into one of those reveries... its very emo-anime style and IMHO doesnt fit in nicely with the way the rest of the characters are presented ie. you don't really hear their thoughts.

Jack was equally rude to my femshep but I humoured her because she is a damn powerful biotic and really delivered on the final level for me. She even calls you commander the whole time :p

As far as temperament goes, Samara is my type of gal. Mature, experienced, can pull your nuts off if you mess with her. Tali is a bit too whiny and obsessed with the approval of others. Samara is an entity unto herself.

After I'm done with AC2, I'm thinking of a re-do with all my kit and purely focusing on being as mean and nasty as I can be. I want to get some nasty scars going on my femshep :p

Now, anyone else excited about ME3?? :thmbup1::D

mtfbwya

As far as temperament goes, Samara is my type of gal. Mature, experienced, can pull your nuts off if you mess with her. Tali is a bit too whiny and obsessed with the approval of others. Samara is an entity unto herself.

Samara/Morinth is my favourite character.

I love her story, and the fact that you can run around with Morinth without anyone else knowing it is her. I wonder if we'll get to meet her other two daughters in ME3? ;)

... I love her story, and the fact that you can run around with Morinth without anyone else knowing it is her. I wonder if we'll get to meet her other two daughters in ME3? ;)

I guess that's what happens when you spare Morinth? My Samara killed her. Pesky murderous kids.

mtfbwya

As far as temperament goes, Samara is my type of gal. Mature, experienced, can pull your nuts off if you mess with her.

Yeah, never got in to the whole warrior/monk Justicar thing. Although my Shep helped her kill her daughter... I was tempted to sway the battle towards Morinth. Something my fem Shep won't have a problem with ;)

Samurai already had their era :xp:

Tali is a bit too whiny and obsessed with the approval of others.
Heresy! :fist: hehehe.. The romance however actually touched that area and she explains why she is the way she is. BioWare seems to have put alot of work in her story this round.. as probably evident of her staggering fanbase (yours truly included.. heh). They were probably afraid of the village's mob :lol:

Now, anyone else excited about ME3?? :thmbup1::D

Hellz yah! Kinda wished I had put ME2 off longer. Now the wait is going to be torture (Diablo III come save me! well, or Fallout: New Vegas)

----- my 1st run ending, potential spoilers, WARNING ------

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
Just finished my game last nite (1st run) and man was it end-of-your-seat affair :D I don't know how I did it (well, actually with over a 40 hour playtime, I do) but I managed to get an "No one left behind" achievement? :confused: Wasn't really expecting that as I thought 'someone' was bound to die, though I have steered clear from the wikis & YouTube. Wanted it to be as spoiler free as possible. Nice to see there is a path where everyone can be saved... just kinda threw me for a loop. Now I'm going to have to dig in to the wikis and see what's up with that.

Had 100% loyal crewmates, and by the time the Suicide Mission / IFF assignment was ready.. I had already drained the galaxy of it's resources and sidequests so I went to Omega 4 immediately. Might have had something to do with it? Team leader picks was pretty much a -duh- run. The mission de-brief might as well highlighted who to choose to lead them. Their descriptions were WAY tipping the scales on the who-knows-what. :xp:

All-in-all I couldn't have asked for a better run. I took Tali & Jack with me on the final battle and it was just pure slaughter. Nothing beats biotics and the 2 ladies wielding close range shotgunny yumminess. Almost felt sorry for the collectors.. hehe

End scene was also perfect since I was pretty much fawning over Tali the entire run.. it was her that saved our arse getting the tech door unlocked (not too mention Shep running his arse off to make sure she didn't fry in those tunnels).. really made for the desperation. It was her that wound up being caught by my Shep on the faceplant/dive/platform slide.. and it was her that helped lift my fat-arse up to the Normandy after my less than manly chasm jump :xp:

Been a long time since I was that pumped after the game was over. Afterwards the summon to quarters feature was a nice touch. :)

Archived