Home

Mass Effect 2 [thread contains spoilers]

Nedak

Also he seems to be consistently giving you very poor advice. :p

This is very true. The only time I really used him was when I was in my Cerberus Loving Mode, hoping he would lighten up a bit, but noooooo, he stays just as moody if not moodier. So I too have to agree that Jacob is pretty unnecessary. Only reason I keep him around is because of his cool armor.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

New DLC available today, the Equalizer pack:

equalizer-02-p.jpg

Cerberus doesn't just need a hero - they need a one-man army. That's why the Equalizer Pack adds the Capacitor Helmet, Archon Visor, and Inferno Armor to Shepard's armor locker. The Capacitor Helmet stores power for kinetic barriers, allowing Shepard's shields to recharge faster. The Archon Visor manages omni-tools and biotic amps, reducing the recharge time of Shepard's powers. The powered Inferno Armor speeds up Shepard's movements and increases his tech and biotic power damage, additionally stress analysis software even gives him an edge in negotiations outside of combat. The Equalizer -- when the armor goes on, the gloves come off.

160 MS Points

http://masseffect.bioware.com/info/dlc/

New DLC available today, the Equalizer pack:

Cerberus doesn't just need a hero - they need a one-man army. That's why the Equalizer Pack adds the Capacitor Helmet, Archon Visor, and Inferno Armor to Shepard's armor locker.

Isn't the Inferno armor already available as a pre-order bonus item? Or would this be a new armor with the same name/style as that one? Also, can the new helmet and visor actually be used with the Inferno armor, or are they N7 armor pieces only?

Bioware's sales pitch text seems pretty light on actual info on what this DLC is, I think. :)

Okay, so I've done a little research, and it seems that the Inferno is indeed the pre-order armor from Amazon, so the helmet and visor will only be able to be worn with the N7, same bs as before.

equalizer-05-p.jpg

equalizer-09-p.jpg

[Apologies for not paying attention for awhile]

Ya know, I was sort of under the impression that the Cerberus Network card would make DLC free for those that bought the game and require those who bought after market pay. Like, a clever way to avoid piracy...

Did that idea just, like, get dropped? I also remember them SWEARING that the exclusive launch gear would never be released afterward as DLC. I have not been paying attention to this at all since launch in all honesty, and now I look at the news and the PR campaign seems to have gone belly up in just a few months.

Seriously, some lackluster and, really, pretty poorly put together team members, armor that is being repackaged, some short missions...

The DLC for dragon Age was great content. The keep opened up a lot of inventory possibilities, a fully fleshed out character, and a long mission string and so on. Seriously, who dropped the ball on the Mass Effect 2 DLC? If anything, ME2 seems far more ripe for DLC then DA:O. Where are more gun choices for example? How about an armory pack? How about expanding into the... what do they have again...? Oh yeah, a Galaxy!

Hell, how about even an expansion pack that adds a planet or two like they did with DA:O? I know they have SWTOR, DA:O, and ME2 on their plate but its becoming increasingly obvious where the majority of their attention is being aimed.

Also,

@Astrotoy:

Remind me to never serve under you. Seriously, your criteria for who gets to live and die in your group is so astronomically strict I'm surprised you manage to play RPGs at all :p

Also, sorry about not getting that re-e-mail to you yet. Been really absentminded lately.

I think the plan for free DLC was always for it to be time-limited. I have no problems with that in principle, although I think it's laughable to consider it an anti-piracy measure (pirates get all the DLC for free). It's aimed at the 2nd hand market, not pirates. Anyway, it just seems like such a scam to be selling useless little bits of fluff like they are with ME2. One benefit of DA being moddable is that regardless of whether or not there are any really decent mods, they can't get away with trying to sell crap like a sword because there are already 20,000 free ones available. It forces them to focus on content with some actual substance like Awakening. It's a shame ME2 isn't moddable or we might see something along the same lines. No doubt of course that's one reason why it isn't moddable.

I think the plan for free DLC was always for it to be time-limited. I have no problems with that in principle, although I think it's laughable to consider it an anti-piracy measure (pirates get all the DLC for free). It's aimed at the 2nd hand market, not pirates.

Said it was a clever way to fight pirates; not a good way :p

Anyway, it just seems like such a scam to be selling useless little bits of fluff like they are with ME2. One benefit of DA being moddable is that regardless of whether or not there are any really decent mods, they can't get away with trying to sell crap like a sword because there are already 20,000 free ones available. It forces them to focus on content with some actual substance like Awakening. It's a shame ME2 isn't moddable or we might see something along the same lines. No doubt of course that's one reason why it isn't moddable.

I'd almost think the opposite in their seats. since ME2 isn't moddable, I'd focus on releasing for that and let the community build their own stuff with the DA:O toolkit. It seems like overkill to have both the devs and community going full swing into it.

Said it was a clever way to fight pirates; not a good way :p

I'd almost think the opposite in their seats. since ME2 isn't moddable, I'd focus on releasing for that and let the community build their own stuff with the DA:O toolkit. It seems like overkill to have both the devs and community going full swing into it.

I'm sorry but that is incorrect. It is possible to mod ME2 and in fact has already been done. Look here.

I'm sorry but that is incorrect. It is possible to mod ME2 and in fact has already been done. Look here.

Only very limited Mass Effect 2 modding is possible as far as I know. TexMod texture replacements, INI file tweaks and savegame hacking. Doesn't really compare to what people can do for games with proper tools available.

Ðragon Age modding is only for the PC version though. the Xbox and PS3 people are still stuck with whatever DLC Bioware releases. And if they can use it to milk the game for a bit more money then why not? :)

I'm mostly annoyed that DLC resources for the games are encrypted so you can't easily mod their DLC or use assets from them in your own tweaks.

(Seems to apply to Mass Effect 2 DLC as well. If you mess with anything in those (even an INI file) the damn thing refuses to validate and load. :roleyess:)

I'm sorry but that is incorrect. It is possible to mod ME2 and in fact has already been done.
I'm well aware of what is and isn't possible in both ME games. As stoffe pointed out, there's very little real "modding" going on, just some minor hacks. When it's possible to get custom models into the game, get back to me.

I've been trying (and failing) to get a hold of some Mass Effect 2 save game files for a project of mine (I need to record footage of the Jacob loyalty mission), and I'm wondering if anybody could be so kind to email (for my email, add @hotmail.com to my username :p) some of theirs?

Generally the closer to the mission the better. Just before would be brilliant! :)

I've been trying (and failing) to get a hold of some Mass Effect 2 save game files for a project of mine (I need to record footage of the Jacob loyalty mission), and I'm wondering if anybody could be so kind to email (for my email, add @hotmail.com to my username :p) some of theirs?

Generally the closer to the mission the better. Just before would be brilliant! :)

Do you want a brand new ME2 character or an ME1 Imported one? Do you want the default head or do you mind a custom head? Also, do you want it to be Paragon or Renegade?

If you can answer these, I will be more than happy to get this save for you.

Well, I finally finished ME2. It was good. I liked the controls better than the first game, but didn't really like the way it felt. Can't put my finger on it...

Anyway, I'm playing through ME1 again as Paragon to get a new save and import that to ME2. Trying to make the same head I had before, and I've got something similar, but just...off. I also can't put my finger on the difference there. :lol:

NEW DLC coming: Overlord

Coming in June for both the PC and Xbox 360 and costing 560 MS or BioWare points, Overlord features Commander Shepard and crew fighting off a super-intelligent VI Overlord accross 5 new level areas.

http://masseffect.bioware.com/info/dlc/

Have stopped playing the game atm (started/finished Assassin's Creed) but not sure if I want to go back and try this.. or go shopping for some new games. choices choices :lol:

NEW DLC coming: Overlord

Coming in June for both the PC and Xbox 360 and costing 560 MS or BioWare points, Overlord features Commander Shepard and crew fighting off a super-intelligent VI Overlord accross 5 new level areas.

Weird... wasn't the whole distinction between AI and VI (which made the former illegal and the latter widespread in use) that VI are not sentient and unable to think for themselves? Essentially they're just computer programs responding to a predefined set of criteria and incapable of decision making beyond that? :wonder:

Sounds pretty cheesy, but it worked well in System Shock so I guess we'll have to wait and see. :)

Well, I finally finished ME2. It was good. I liked the controls better than the first game, but didn't really like the way it felt. Can't put my finger on it...
Yeah I have to say I prefer ME1 overall. I think there's probably an element of it being the first game in a new IP, but there's also just a different feel to it as you alluded to. I did another ME1 playthrough a month or so ago straight after I had done a few ME2 playthroughs to make sure it wasn't just nostalgia. ME2 has some nice moments, but there's just something about ME1 that I like better.

Weird... wasn't the whole distinction between AI and VI (which made the former illegal and the latter widespread in use) that VI are not sentient and unable to think for themselves? Essentially they're just computer programs responding to a predefined set of criteria and incapable of decision making beyond that? :wonder:
The whole AI/VI distinction was always pretty hazy to me, given there are circumstances (like in ME1 on Luna) where an apparent VI takes on AI characteristics. It seems like a fairly nebulous line in the sand.

I actually find the mining minigame more exciting than the game's combat, which is just an annoying version of bop-the-weasel.

Take cover. Normally, this should be an important priority. In Mass Effect however, cover is *everywhere*. At any given camera rotation in a combat area, you have at least 3 obvious spots of cover.

Once you have taken cover, you right-click and left-click at the enemy. Never mind that Shephard somehow knows exactly where enemies are even though he's facing the exact opposite direction.

The enemies are about as intelligent as moving sandbags. They will strafe left and right, run up and down and attempt a flanking manoeuvre, which is essentially sidestepping when they're a meter near Shephard.

Enemies will have health, armour or shields. Luckily, you always carry all your weapons with you, so can swap armour-beating weapons with shield-beating weapons and continue bopping the weasel. Not that it matters - they all die if you keep shooting enough.

And that's just it, shoot and shoot and shoot till they all die and a cutscene plays.

The mining minigame at least features some scrumptious sound effects.

Archived