Home

Mass Effect 2 [thread contains spoilers]

Nedak

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
halolz-dot-com-masseffect2-datasseffect.jpg

NO. :drool2:

Though I do think that Liara's pretty bangin'.

That picture would be improved if the dialogue wheel's arrow was pointing towards 'Investigate'.

As for Miranda vs. Liara, neither please. Depending on lighting, Miranda's face varied from a bowl-clenching Michael Jackson lookalike to vaguely tolerable. She was much better in some of the CGI trailers though. Her arrogance was annoying, but understandable given the way she was engineered and raised. Liara always seemed bland and uninteresting, both in looks and personality.

Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of romances in RPGs, or at least the way they're usually implemented. It's rare for them not to feel tacked-on, doing little to enhance the impact of, or alter the progression of, the story. Also, most are not especially well written, and come off as contrived. Most times I go through with them, it is only to find out more about a character I find interesting, as most RPGs lack a real 'Friendship' path, greatly limiting what you can learn about a non-romanced character.

While they weren't exactly 'romances', Fallout 2 did a good job of having your 'romantic encounters' have wider-reaching consequences. You could be forced into a marriage, eliminate whole questlines, etc.

I also enjoyed the semi-romances in Planescape: Torment. They were understated enough that they didn't feel abrupt or tacked on, the writing was of a higher standard than usual, and they made narrative sense. For instance, although there wasn't any single-minded romancing going on, if one made certain choices, it would be quite clear that Annah or Fall-From-Grace had developed some seriously strong feelings for TNO. The whole situation with Deionarra worked very well too.

With DA:O Bioware made some good steps in narrative consequences from the Morrigan and Alistair romances, but they were still few, and only occurred at the very end of the game, lessening the impact. Also some pretty cheesy bits of dialogue, coupled with the 'give them presents till they wanna bang' mechanic, made it seem a bit absurd. Not Witcher 'Woman Trading Cards' absurd, but still weak.

TL;DR Liverandbacon is a horrendous RPG elitist with unfairly high standards regarding vidya game romance.

You cheated on Liara (<3) with... Jack? :raise:

poker face :indif:

I have always wanted to date a girl that was that edgy and different, just never had the balls or a girl of that type that was into me.... until recently :o

That said, I am in a relationship and in RL am not big on the cheating thing, although I cannot claim total innocence. And, my tatooed RL darling is one of the most principled girls I have ever met... the look and what's inside do not always match the way you expect (book/cover)... that's why I liked Jack! That and, if you look past the anger and all the tats, she's got a smokin' body and a really quite pretty face, IMO. Far prettier than Miranda's, as I am in the same camp as Liverandbacon on the Miranda face - uh, the analogy you chose made me laugh out loud :D

Personally I've got my 'Kiera' femshep raring to go on Arrival and primed to kick Reaper ass come ME3. It will be glorious. As will the continuation of the cross-species hoemance with Liara :D
Kiera... who is that? Is that the thief? Haven't played through with that DLC yet, though it is installed. I have yet to do my second playthrough of ME2. I only cheated on Liara after all she would say to me (after I missed the Paragon-click opportunity in the Broker's Lair before or after our special moment in Shep's quarters) was.... "It is nice to see you." I kept thinking she would say something else... and was heartbroken :crybaby: all over again.

So I went on a tear :D

I guess I will have to do multiple ME2 playthroughs, just to exercise all that romance. If I could, I would date Jessica Rabbit, so I guess any RPG romance makes me happy, even if it could be developed more/better, as Liverandbacon and Primogen have noted.

I have always wanted to date a girl that was that edgy and different, just never had the balls or a girl of that type that was into me.... until recently :o

That said, I am in a relationship and in RL am not big on the cheating thing, although I cannot claim total innocence. And, my tatooed RL darling is one of the most principled girls I have ever met... the look and what's inside do not always match the way you expect (book/cover)... that's why I liked Jack! That and, if you look past the anger and all the tats, she's got a smokin' body and a really quite pretty face, IMO. Far prettier than Miranda's, as I am in the same camp as Liverandbacon on the Miranda face - uh, the analogy you chose made me laugh out loud :D

For your sake i hope your real-life squeeze is not as psychotic as Jack :p

As for Miranda... As said, she looked lots better in the trailers. She looks a bit odd in the games. However, that said... you don't need to look at the girl's *face* to appreciate her... :indif:

Kiera... who is that? Is that the thief? Haven't played through with that DLC yet, though it is installed. I have yet to do my second playthrough of ME2. I only cheated on Liara after all she would say to me (after I missed the Paragon-click opportunity in the Broker's Lair before or after our special moment in Shep's quarters) was.... "It is nice to see you." I kept thinking she would say something else... and was heartbroken :crybaby: all over again.

So I went on a tear :D

I guess I will have to do multiple ME2 playthroughs, just to exercise all that romance. If I could, I would date Jessica Rabbit, so I guess any RPG romance makes me happy, even if it could be developed more/better, as Liverandbacon and Primogen have noted.

Haha, nah 'Kiera' is just the first name for my femshep, no new characters. And i know what you mean about missing the prompt >_> very annoying first time that happened...

I quite like romances in video-games, though it's true that they are not exactly in-depth mimicries of real-life relationships. The truest I've played have been Dragon Age: Origins', which are a) much harder to follow through than ME/2 and b) much more involved, though I have basically stopped giving gifts except the main ones to each character because it does seem rather like cheating. You can get Zevran and Morrigan to have sex by going through one dialogue tree and giving loads of gifts... :¬:

But I digress. Liara is still my favourite, as I like my girls cute, but with a bit of steel under that shiny blue exterior... (damn shame earth doesn't have blue girls if you ask me. our loss).

She'd be prettier with a bloody shirt on. Seriously, Tali is the only female on the ship that doesn't look like a stripper.

Why couldnt strippers be pretty? I was under the impression that being good looking is actually one of the prerequisites of the profession :xp:

Actually, not really. You just need gobs of makeup and bad lighting. Besides, Strippers are more Sexy than Pretty. Sexy appeals to your...drive. Pretty appeals to your mind. Hence Tali's following. It doesn't help that Miranda's fine ass is attached to a face that will frankly haunt your nightmares. She has a face like my Grandma's creepy dolls.

You are right about that, but if a stripper has a face that resembles the rear end of an elephant it is a major turnoff :xp: How can you explain Tali´s following by her being pretty because the closest we have gotten to seeing her face is this:

(This BBCode requires its accompanying plugin to work properly.)

You know, I didn't see it in-game, but that scene is mildly cringe-worthy (bar the ending of the video). The discussion of antibiotics is a rather strange form of foreplay.

Mind you, Tristan and Isolde discuss the nature of day and night, Hero and Leander talk about love as though it's a matter of home economics (like to your love, useless, futile, worthless is this table if not used), and Helen is abducted by Paris, so maybe it's not quite so strange...

All this talk about Jack has made me remember that while on one hand I consider her a tragic waste of a better face than the other crew-members (personal taste thing I suppose, but I think with hair, less absurd clothing, and maybe less tattoos, she'd be by far the best looking, though still a tad uncanny-valley), I really do like how her name and lack of hair are a reference to the under-appreciated Pitch Black. (I think too many people assume it's like the sequel, which was a terrible film that had occasional cool ideas, but ignored them in order to focus on idiocy. It screamed wasted potential.)

In fact, her recruitment mission, with it's for-profit merc space-prison, abusive guards, and modular claw-transported prison cells felt like one big homage to the similarly underappreciated, and legitimately awesome, Escape from Butcher Bay. (Seriously, if you have even a passing interest in a first-person stealth bludgeon&stabber with occasional shooty bits, play this game. The HD remake is packaged with its less good, though enjoyable, sequel Dark Athena, and can be found pretty easily for $5-10.)

And as for strippers, I don't really see the appeal of paying to see some woman undress herself in a public location, when, albeit with more effort, you can convince one to do so in private for free. :devsmoke:

And as for strippers, I don't really see the appeal of paying to see some woman undress herself in a public location, when, albeit with more effort, you can convince one to do so in private for free. :devsmoke:

Seafood Dinner $45.00

Movie Tickets and Snacks $40.00

Cover Charge and Drinks at Nice Club $35.00

Seeing lady strip once you get her home PRICELESS.

Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)
However it was not for free.
:xp:

-Cook a High-quality Seafood Dinner (Bonus Points! With the right presentation, she finds it more romantic than a restaurant) $0 (usually have plenty of really nice ingredients in my fridge that would otherwise go bad, that I'd have bought anyway)

-Instead of movies, more creative dates. (Not too creative though...) $Varies, but easy to keep costs low, or do things one would have done anyway, while seeming romantic rather than cheap.

Cover Charge and Drinks at Nice Club $0 (Oh hey there club manager friends!)

Seeing lady strip once you get her home PRICELESS.

Free or close to free

Fixed that for you; with early stages of current GF in mind. Of course once it was clear that this would be a lasting thing, I let things cost a bit more. 7 years later, I do not regret my 'stealth cheapass' approach.

And if you're not really going for a long term thing, it becomes easy, especially if you live anywhere near a university (though depending on age that can get a bit scummy), to cut that down to: Cover Charge and Drinks at Nice Club $0 (once you do some networking, or $35 if you can't be bothered)

In order to give this post a modicum of topic legitimacy I will conclude with my belief that Mass Effect 2 is a pretty fun shooter with conversations. I thoroughly enjoyed it for what it was, although I was a bit surprised as I'd been expecting something else.

Archived