Home

Mass Effect 2 [thread contains spoilers]

Nedak

The Arc Projector is AMAZING on heavy mechs
I kept moving and used the collectors thing (whatever it's called) on the Mech and it worked wonders too.

Anyway overall I would give Arrival 4/5. I'd hoped for more man on reaper action and badassness but really it was just a disguised mercenary massacre just like the rest of the game ^^..

What I didn't like is the choice to warn the batarians or not. Because either way, no survivors, which p*ssed me off and made me think they are forcing you into canon here.

It was fun but the DLC felt like a well done publicity stunt to me...the admiral came out of nowhere, no real choice, Reaper: "we're coming", etc...fights were there as an excuse to keep us busy :p

Shepard sometimes also sounded like Gollum in LOTR referring to "us" when he was alone... "They've spotted us!" :p

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I kept moving and used the collectors thing (whatever it's called) on the Mech and it worked wonders too.
1 clip/round of Heightened Adrenaline Rush with the Mattock Heavy Rifle (Disruptor Ammo) to remove the shields. 2 clips/rounds of Heightened Adrenaline Rush with the Widow Sniper Rifle (Ammo Piercing Ammo) to remove the armor. Switch back to Scimitar (shotgun) with Cryo Ammo and combo with Heavy Concussive Shot to finish it off.

The battle for object rho, even on casual, was a b*tch to do. That was pretty dang difficult. I managed to do all 5 waves and get the achievement. JUST. The Geth Plasma shotgun saved my damn life, on top of the m5 phalanx hand cannon..

I died instantly when the fight began, and was like "how the hell are you supposed to win this fight" and then realised you didnt need to win, and as im a lazy bastard i didnt bother loading and trying again. I hadn´t played ME2 for some time so i was damn rusty, almost felt like i do when my daddio plays :xp:

Okay guys. I am missing one, and only one trophy/achievement in ME2. And that is the insanity one.

The two achievements I'm missing is the Insanity Achievement and the complete the Shadow Broker on Hardcore or Insanity I have gotten as far as the Derelict Reaper before giving up a couple times.

The best guide I know is Achilles, too bad he hasn't written everything down in easy read format. However he posted some very good information on my Visitor Messages Page. You just have to wade through the rest of the conversations to find them. :(

I'm about to the point where I'm thinking of mailing my 360 to Achilles to get the achievements.

The two achievements I'm missing is the Insanity Achievement and the complete the Shadow Broker on Hardcore or Insanity I have gotten as far as the Derelict Reaper before giving up a couple times.

The best guide I know is Achilles, too bad he hasn't written everything down in easy read format. However he posted some very good information on my Visitor Messages Page. You just have to wade through the rest of the conversations to find them. :(

I'm about to the point where I'm thinking of mailing my 360 to Achilles to get the achievements.

Out of curiosity (I don't understand Xboxen, only got a barely-used 360 for $70 cause it came with 3 games, never used LIVE, etc.), do achievements give any benefit? Like a bonus in-game when you get them all or something?

I've seen a few that seem like ways to encourage players to experiment with different play methods (which is great, because far too many people pick one method of getting through a game, and never branch out), but a lot seem kinda pointless. Because of this, I don't have all of the achievements in any of my games (I think), so I don't really know if I'm missing out on a reward.

Insanity is actually not too bad...after you've done it the first time.

I recommend going Soldier and picking up the Firepower pack if you really want to make the most of it. The DLC allows you to pick up the Mattock Heavy Rifle right after Horizon. The upside is that it's powerful and accurate. The downside is that you really have to manage your ammo (capacity is 80 shots). If you want to breeze through the game without ever changing your weapon, this is NOT the way to go, but if you feel comfortable using the sniper rifle (Widow) and shotgun (Scimitar) as the situation demands, you can have a lot of fun.

I can give you specifics on a recommended build and pointers on some of the tougher fights, if you are interested.

@L&B: Achievements exist to torment Type A personalities, such as myself.

Out of curiosity (I don't understand Xboxen, only got a barely-used 360 for $70 cause it came with 3 games, never used LIVE, etc.), do achievements give any benefit? Like a bonus in-game when you get them all or something?
No real benefit.

I usually don't even worry about achievements except for a few games. Only games I have all the achievement for is ME and Oblivion. Still want to get them for ME2 and ME3.

Okay guys. I am missing one, and only one trophy/achievement in ME2. And that is the insanity one.

Before I attempt this, does anyone know of a really great guide? Pref. one with weapons, squad, power points assignments and power usage?

For your squad, use Garrus and Legion equipped with sniper rifles near the end, they make life alot easier (especially with Legion's Widow sniper rifle which is an upgrade by talking to him on the Normandy). I took out the last boss first go on Insanity with those two and me as Sentinel.

Free PC Mass Effect 2 for those with Dragon Age 2

http://dragonage.bioware.com/me2offer

might just be jealousy. but i hate that offer. why? because all BIOWARE fans have mass effect 2, using their money and being loyal to bioware. dragon age fans waltz in get basically half of biowares income generating game for free?

where is the love for the fans who have mass effect 2 AND bought dragon age 2? hmm? we should get free dlc :p

edit: im probably being too harsh. the more i look at it the more i think "that's a very clever marketting scheme." why? because dragon age fans will think oh a free game yay. play the game, get to like it, and then buy the cerberus pack which on its own is nearly what half of the game cost is now. then you have dlc.

For your squad, use Garrus and Legion equipped with sniper rifles near the end, they make life alot easier (especially with Legion's Widow sniper rifle which is an upgrade by talking to him on the Normandy).

Legion also gets a 10% damage bonus if you go with Improved Geth Shield Boost.

I take Legion and Garrus with me for the Oculus fight in the cargo bay.

Thane and Miranda typically go with me for the last-last fight. They both have warp with is very effective against armor (hint) and Thane has a sniper rifle.

If you are a Soldier with the Widow, have Ammo Piercing Ammo as a bonus power, and you are making good use of Heightened Adrenaline Rush, the last fight will be over before it can really begin (on Insanity).

Well, I've searched the thread and haven't found any mention of it, so I was wondering if anyone has noticed the unusually long load times in ME2. They're pretty annoying, and what I found particularly interesting was that for most of the duration the hard drive isn't even spinning.

I found out that it was due to a multi-core CPU affinity bug present in the game engine. Some have said that the bug only affected dual-core machines, but I was experiencing the same problem with my Core i7. The original fix involved launching the game, then alt-tab-ing out and setting affinity to a single core in Task Manager, then resetting it to all cores again before returning to the game, but having to do that every time you launch the game is a pain.

I found this little utility called MassAffinity that does it for you. Just unpack it, run the SetupMassAffinity.cmd and tell it where your game is, then use MassAffinity.exe to launch your game from then on. The shortening of load times is dramatic.

I doubt it will be of any consequence what with Earth being raped to death by Reapers halfway through it.

Well that is what I wrote before that you dismissed.

I also disagree with you that Arrival is disrespectful to those that did not play Arrival any more other game sequel. As you already pointed out in this thread there is only one real way Arrival can play out and any choices are merely inconsequential. So to me it is no more disrespectful than any game sequel that does not start right back where the other game left off. I don’t also see the difference between this and what BioWare did between ME1 and ME2 with the comic and iphone game. Not reading or playing those did not diminish ME2 at least for me.

Well the Liara comic at least technically occurred within the span of ME2 rather than between games, being set in the 2 years that ME2 skips over that Shepard was dead after the prologue. Personally I'm not a fan of the whole "multimedia" thing, but at least most of the Mass Effect stuff has only been tangentially related to the plot of the games.

Archived