Home

Mass Effect 2 [thread contains spoilers]

Nedak

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At least we have them this time 'round. Even if we're not forced to use them.

:lol: Still always make it a point to go to the opposing restroom just to get EDI's comment..

Also, sad to say.. took me 2 playthroughs before I realized Shep had a personal restroom in his/her cabin :argh:

Though I may have to talk to Mess Sergeant Gardner.. my shower still doesn't work :xp:

• 3 weeks later...

Seems Mass Effect Genesis has been released for PC & Xbox players (The interactive comic included with PS3 to make ME1 choices).

Probably a little late for some.. but could be quite helpful to those new to ME2 (or wanting to start a new Shepard without going through ME1).

2011.05.17 | Posted by Evil Chris Priestly

Mass Effect Genesis, the interactive motion comic that allows you to choose Mass Effect 1 plot outcomes as you watch, is now available for the PC and Xbox 360. Now Mass Effect 2 players can experience all the choices from Mass Effect 1 if they never played the game.

Mass Effect Genesis costs 320 BioWare or Microsoft points and can be found in the Mass Effect 2 launcher and on Xbox Live.

From the wiki:

The six choices that players can make in Mass Effect: Genesis are as follows:
Show spoiler
(hidden content - requires Javascript to show)

Who became Shepard's love interest?

Should the Rachni Queen on Noveria be freed or destroyed?

What is the fate of Urdnot Wrex on Virmire?

Who is sacrificed on Virmire, Ashley Williams or Kaidan Alenko?

What happens to the Citadel Council during the Battle of the Citadel?

Who does Shepard endorse to represent humanity on the Council, David Anderson or Donnel Udina?

Notably, the mission on Feros is omitted entirely from the comic. The comic also does not mention the geth, despite them playing a significant role in the story of Mass Effect.

If people are willing to pay for pointless ****, they deserve what they receive. If Bioware thinks it'll sell, all power to them.

I only have a problem with devs charging for content if it's stuff that clearly should've been part of the main product, since then they're deliberately hobbling the game.

I'm ok with this though, it's like Valve charging money for TF2 hats (At least that's what I've heard they're doing). I'm not losing any real content by not paying, but a dev I like is getting some extra $$$ from people silly enough to pay real money for a virtual top hat (with no gameplay benefits) for a character.

If people are willing to pay for pointless ****, they deserve what they receive. If Bioware thinks it'll sell, all power to them.

I only have a problem with devs charging for content if it's stuff that clearly should've been part of the main product, since then they're deliberately hobbling the game.

I'm ok with this though, it's like Valve charging money for TF2 hats (At least that's what I've heard they're doing). I'm not losing any real content by not paying, but a dev I like is getting some extra $$$ from people silly enough to pay real money for a virtual top hat (with no gameplay benefits) for a character.

I agree with everything you said...

If people are willing to pay for pointless ****, they deserve what they receive. I'm ok with this though, it's like Valve charging money for TF2 hats (At least that's what I've heard they're doing). I'm not losing any real content by not paying, but a dev I like is getting some extra $$$ from people silly enough to pay real money for a virtual top hat (with no gameplay benefits) for a character.

I recall seeing something like that with that VR game 2nd Life. If you had the modding skills to make virtual clothing (or other things), you could ultimately make real $$ selling that stuff through the game to other players. Just imagine if the devs let modders do that....or subcontracted their work via paypal or something (eliminating any legal copyright issues). If you want to spend real $$ on virtual items to enhance your gaming experience.....to each his own.

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so I'm doing my first real insanity playthrough ever in ME2, and jaysus is it ever a step up from hardcore. Just finished recruiting Mordin and Garrus. Handled the former pretty well - better than I did on hardcore actually, some nice use of powers if i do say so myself... - but damn Garrus' mission was seriously harder. The fight when Jentha (i think that's her name) comes through with her machine gun and then the troops come in had me failing twice, once because i died and the other because i let Garrus get capped. Repeatedly. Apart from that though, only died once before, though I'm ashamed to say it was by a dog-mech on Freedom's Progress. What can i say, i got sloppy i suppose...

Finding out Infiltrators are godly on this mode. Serious damage dealers if you're good with an SMG and can keep your widow ammo usage sensible, but with Assassination cloak and Geth Shield boost, some very nice defensive options. the cloak is awesome for attacking obviously, with the added bonus that if your allies are dead, enemies just stand still - BOOM HEADSHOT. But the Geth Shield is great if you get caught in an Alamo Gulch style crossfire. Keeps you alive, and by god you need it in insanity. You get pushed out of cover, you die. I mean jesus...

Garrus and Miranda - best squad ever incidentally, though Zaeed is awesome with his bugged incisor sniper rifle. I have also gained a new appreciation for medigels and cryo ammo... All good stuff. Having said all this, i am NOT looking forward to facing husks. Oh jeez, the infiltrator's bane...

Yeah getting swarmed by Husks on Insanity is a PITA. Especially as shotguns don't seem to be anywhere near as effective in such situations as they were in ME1 and subsequently even though you have 4 shotgun-wielding squad members that should theoretically be at their best against short range/melee foes, they tend to get wiped out pretty easily.

All good stuff. Having said all this, i am NOT looking forward to facing husks.
Still don't have the insanity achievement, get to the Derelict Reaper before I've given up four or five times now. ME was a blast at harder level, ME2 is just a pain.

Yeah getting swarmed by Husks on Insanity is a PITA. Especially as shotguns don't seem to be anywhere near as effective in such situations as they were in ME1 and subsequently even though you have 4 shotgun-wielding squad members that should theoretically be at their best against short range/melee foes, they tend to get wiped out pretty easily.

I'm not a shotgun fan so that doesn't really bother me, but yeah husks are just nasty. Without armour on the easy difficulties they were a joke, but even on hardcore, I regularly just get beaten. snipers are not especially good at taking on fast-moving hoards, particularly if you're a cautious player like i am. Insanity requires a certain balls-to-the-wall element that i've not quite grasped yet... mind you, when it goes right, it feels great.

Still don't have the insanity achievement, get to the Derelict Reaper before I've given up four or five times now. ME was a blast at harder level, ME2 is just a pain.

Oh god that mission. I've sort of got the hang of it now even as an infiltrator (protip: spam the avalanche) but it's going to be that much harder... not helped by the fact that my copy freezes approximately 2/3 times per run-through of that level :migraine: mind you, not sure i agree about ME1 vs ME2 combat. I always keep ME1 difficulty on 'easy' because the combat is just not as smooth, and doesn't have the same balance or feel to it. i always thought ME1 combat was like a cover shooter made by a studio who really wasn't comfortable at the time with that style.

• 1 month later...

So I've beaten Insanity... fairly comfortable in the end :| For example, i was expecting to be repeatedly rolled over in the final fight of Miranda's mission with it's horrible starting point and enemy composition, but it only took one try, although it did admittedly get pretty frantic at times... All the other loyalty missions and stuff were pretty easy, and even the big Shadow Broker fights weren't too hard. I have all but one of the achievements in the game as well now... but the last one is going to be nasty >_> It's surviving all the waves at the end of 'arrival'. I suspect i may have to dial down the difficulty to get that, as i'm really struggling even in the early battles of arrival. NOT looking forward to that final section.

But overall, this was a triumph. Woo! It also makes it one the few games i've ever pretty much completed 100%, joining the likes of Pokemon Yellow and KoTOR. yay.

You have to be incredibly aggressive (not "suicidal" or "stupid" but "aggressive") go get through that fight on the higher difficulties. Don't stay in cover in any one place for too long. If you're a soldier, use the heck out of adrenaline rush. Pop out of cover with a target in mind, hit AR, then focus on doing as much damage to that target before taking cover in the next spot. Recover and repeat.

• 7 months later...

I recently bought a PS3 and most certainly bought the ME2 game. :)

I've also bought/DLed all DLCs that didn't come with the game, which where mostly weapon/armor DLCs.

The Only other DLC was Arrival.

My question is, when does Arrival become available on a fresh playthrough?

I've done a couple of minor missions and a couple of recruit missions so far.

Archived